Forum Index > Trip Reports > Mt Dickerman scramble route 6/12/2011
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
daffish

daffish
PostMon Jun 13, 2011 11:54 am 
Warning: Despite the popularity of this trail, at this time of year it is NOT a hike. The route described does NOT follow the trail above the snow line, it is a serious scramble and one needs to have route finding skills and be comfortable traveling on steep snow with the proper use of an ice axe. The trail starts as a relentless series of switchbacks climbing a steep forested slope with no views. Boring.
I thought vampires burned in the sunlight?
I thought vampires burned in the sunlight?
giant mossy boulder
giant mossy boulder
After ascending 2000 vertical feet, we started hitting snow patches on the trail and arrived at where I needed to make a decision. Should we go the trail route that everyone uses or take off on my little known scramble route? Assessing that the snow conditions were favorable, we got out our iceaxes and headed directly uphill towards some high cliffs. Under the cliff band, we traversed east towards a stream/gully draining the upper slopes.
starting up the scramble route
starting up the scramble route
traversing towards the gully
traversing towards the gully
rock scramble
rock scramble
Here we headed steeply uphill again. As this is one of the few places where there is a break in the cliffs, animals have established a well worn path here that is visible in the summer. Anyway, we kept going up staying near the ridge edge until the slope eased off and we reached the flat ridgeline.
up to the ridge line
up to the ridge line
ascending to the ridge
ascending to the ridge
Now the forest was opening up, the views came into sight, and our calf muscle pains relented. We followed the ridge on untracked snow savoring the flat terrain. But shortly we turned, and once again headed up a slope kicking steps into the snow.
on the flat ridgeline
on the flat ridgeline
Big Four Mtn across the valley
Big Four Mtn across the valley
kicking steps and continuing up
kicking steps and continuing up
and over
and over
It eased off for a bit only to lead into another steep slope. This would well describe the rest of the way to the summit. We rounded below a small promontory and slowly trudged up its side. It was time for a rest and to drink some water with snacks to recharge. There was only 500’ more elevation to the top. This is also where our route intersected the normally traveled way and we were now pleased to follow prekicked bootprints in the snow upwards. We shortly topped out on the summit of Mt Dickerman at 5723’.
nearing the summit
nearing the summit
the summit of Dickerman
the summit of Dickerman
But there was so much snow up there that we were easily 15’ higher than the ground. I have been up that mountain numerous times and have never seen so much snow piled on top.
cornice near the top
cornice near the top
don't get too near the edge
don't get too near the edge
walking over
walking over
NW towards Twin Peaks and Flattop (Glacier Peak hiding in the clouds)
NW towards Twin Peaks and Flattop (Glacier Peak hiding in the clouds)
The clouds were thickening to the south and the tops of the higher peaks were being hidden, but the sun was shining on us and warming us for our lunch break. All too soon, we left the summit area for the fun trip down. Despite the mushy soft snow, I was able to glissade the steeper sections while MD ran plunging down deeply into the snow. We followed the traditional route for our way back. But even this was just bootprints in the snow. It was still too early in the season to have an established track from everybody following the same path. As we got lower, there were sections that were traversing very steep slopes and we carefully and slowly worked our way across. Soon the actual trail started appearing and we traded our iceaxes for hiking poles. Now it was just pounding the trail ever downwards until we reached the parking lot. Stats: 8.6 miles 3700’ elevation gain 6½ hr mountain animation:

"Be moderate in everything, including moderation" Horace Porter
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
dicey
custom title

dicey
custom title
PostMon Jun 13, 2011 12:17 pm 
Pretty cool animation up.gif

I'm not always sure I like being older but being less stupid has advantages. http://www.flickr.com/photos/32121172@N00/sets/
silence

silence
PostMon Jun 13, 2011 12:18 pm 
awesome .. so why not follow the trail up to the winter route? what was the prob in your mind?

PHOTOS FILMS Keep a good head and always carry a light bulb. – Bob Dylan
iron

iron
PostMon Jun 13, 2011 12:24 pm 
that's a lot of snow! good to see some MLH trips popping up finally.

daffish

daffish
PostMon Jun 13, 2011 12:30 pm 
Quote:
so why not follow the trail up to the winter route?
We did follow the trail up to the snow line and then from there our route diverged. I guess I just always look for new, different, and interesting routes. Plus it is satisfying to walk across untrampled snow where no one else goes. Why go the same way I have a dozen times before? clown.gif Why do climbers always put up different routes up a mountain? Why do skiers always find new ways to ski down a mountain?

tigermn

tigermn
PostMon Jun 13, 2011 1:11 pm 
I saw one car in the lot Saturday afternoon heading back from Goat Lake. WHen I saw a Dickerman report I thought maybe that was you. I guess now though there is another trail that starts from the same lot so maybe they went up that way.

Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostMon Jun 13, 2011 1:18 pm 
More Coyotebell will enjoy the accompanying music to your video.

the Zachster

the Zachster
PostMon Jun 13, 2011 4:44 pm 
Good for you! Interesting route. Sounds like the waterfall/creek crossing (usually the crux of the trip) is a non-issue now? And no snowshoes?

"May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am"
honey badger

honey badger
PostMon Jun 13, 2011 5:31 pm 
Thanks Dave, Nice to see some Mt Loop trips being reported again. A favorite area and always a good trip to be had there.

KillerCharlie

KillerCharlie
PostMon Jun 13, 2011 7:00 pm 
I went up the winter route on Dickerman on Sunday. With mountaineering boots and an axe it wasn't bad at all but if I wasn't used to that kind of stuff now I'm not sure I would've gone. None of the slopes traversed seemed that steep but the snow was soft so that helped. We started later in the day and got lucky that the sun didn't soften the snow too much. It was just firm enough on the way up to not slide (if following existing steps) and the plunge stepping on the way down was perfect. We saw maybe 10 people all day. The waterfall you're talking about Zachster - is it about half way up where the trees start to thin? If that's it then there's so much snow going past it that it's trivial. It was my 4th time up Dickerman and I'm still not familiar with details of the trail.

daffish

daffish
PostMon Jun 13, 2011 7:11 pm 
We did not have or use snowshoes at all. Even though the snow was soft, it was consolidated enough that we only sank in a few inches at most and it never hindered our progress. The waterfall/stream crux is not as bad now with lots of snow, but I would not say it is a non-issue. That entire area is very steep snow and a fall anywhere around there could still be disastrous. shakehead.gif As more peope traverse thru there and the snow gets hard where you cross; it will become dangerous. eek.gif

the Zachster

the Zachster
PostMon Jun 13, 2011 7:47 pm 
Very good point. Thanks for the info. up.gif Sounds like you had great conditions overall, and the way the weather has been...looks like there will be plenty of snow for some time.

rossb

rossb
PostMon Jun 13, 2011 9:28 pm 
Zachster: Sounds like your route avoids the waterfall. Is that right? If so, that is a very good route indeed. The waterfall is a very dangerous section. After that, things get really fun. In an ideal day, the route past the waterfall is clear (dry trail) but the snow picks up immediately after that, allowing you to hike the winter route (which is a blast). If you are early enough to hit the waterfall section in the snow, then your route sounds like the way to go.

KillerCharlie

KillerCharlie
PostMon Jun 13, 2011 9:54 pm 
Does someone have a picture of the waterfall?

the Zachster

the Zachster
PostMon Jun 13, 2011 10:01 pm 
rossb: no, not me. The OP is describing an alternative scramble route. The only way I've gone involves the waterfall/creek crossing (that has claimed several lives in recent years). I totally agree with you...the conditions that you describe are exactly what I'm waiting for!