Forum Index > Pacific NW History > 10th Mountain Div.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
packgoat

packgoat
PostSat Jun 18, 2011 6:52 pm 
I am making this a new topic since the Ft Lewis one started 4 years ago. There was reference to books on WW2 activities. The Boys of Winter by Charles Sanders gives a good account of the group. As opposed to most military outfits this one was unique. Then, Major Bill Bowerman, cofounder of Nike, states that, "It was a fraternity. It was a brotherhood of outdoorsmen" It started with famous skiers and mountain climbers of the era eager to apply their skills. Over 50% of the members had college degrees which was rare then and more so now. Interesting parts of the book are the noteriety the troops faced with much media attention but no call to action. It wasn't till early 45 that they got involved and succeeded in capturing high strategic positions. As a 17 year old when the war ended I am only an interested observer but my later 40 year relationship with Duke Watson added much to my interest. Turn to page 139 for an account of his injury and rescue by Ralph Bromaghin, his close skiing buddy from Mt Rainer training. There is a lot of history about the NW in the book.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
reststep

reststep
PostSat Jun 18, 2011 10:51 pm 
Thanks packgoat. I am going to see if I can find that book. It sounds interesting. My brother spent some time at Camp Hale but it was in the 50's.

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
Phil

Phil
PostSat Jun 18, 2011 11:09 pm 
Ditto, thanks packgoat. I just ordered it from King County library.

Don

Don
PostSun Jun 19, 2011 8:01 pm 
Packgoat - might you have known Philip Sharpe? A good friend and climbing partner of Duke Watson's - and member of the same division.

packgoat

packgoat
PostTue Jun 21, 2011 3:49 pm 
How wonderful to read Phil's name again. I am not a climber but have paddled and hiked many miles with him. What is your relationship to Phil? One of the favorite group stories involves one of our BC paddling trips, leaving at 4PM Fri, drive all night to the Frazer, and get back to Seattle in time for us working stiffs to check in by 8AM Monday. We had a car breakdown on the way back and three of us went for help leaving exhausted Phil asleep in the rig. A patrolman tapped on the window to get him up but Phil could only say we were all together when he fell asleep. Our group always had a lot of laughs at each others expense, I presume other close knit groups do the same?

Don

Don
PostTue Jun 21, 2011 8:24 pm 
The late Philip Sharpe was the founder of this company. I did several climbs with him and Toney Hovey before Phil began to have hip problems. I'll share more via pm.