Forum Index > Trail Talk > Rare Grizzly Bear Photographed in North Cascades.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
tigermn

tigermn
PostFri Jul 01, 2011 12:03 pm 
Seattle times story of a grizzly bear photo in North Cascades. I know they exist but are not very common.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
MackAttack

MackAttack
PostFri Jul 01, 2011 12:54 pm 
Nice, I'm glad they finally were captured on film. Last summer my friends and I were traversing Rainbow Ridge in the North Cascades and ran into a grizzly and her two cubs. We were shocked not to mention slightly terrified. Luckily the cubs ran towards mom (who was about 100 ft away) and then the three bolted off. Needless to say, we slept lightly that night (this happened about 20 minutes before arriving at our camp). The best part is we had been having a discussion on the trail earlier that day about whether or not there were grizzlies in WA! Question answered. We reported it to the rangers who were a little skeptical. My boyfriend and I are from Montana and we know our bears, there was no way this was a black bear. Very large, had the hump, had the grizzly snout, and was blonde. It's great to know they're making a come back, but definitely something consider when planning your next trip to the North Cascades.

Dave Workman

Dave Workman
PostFri Jul 01, 2011 1:10 pm 
What is surprising about the story is that it suggests federal authorities had to study it and show it to other authorities before determining it was a griz. I took one look at the image as a thumbnail and saw immediately it was a griz. That hump is kind of hard to mistake. I've seen one other bear like that in the lower 48, years ago heading up a ridge at the north end of Priest Lake, on a ridge overlooking the southeast end of Little Priest Lake. Didn't get a photo of it, though.

"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted." - D.H. Lawrence
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostFri Jul 01, 2011 1:13 pm 
Now they own the bear's soul. devilsmile.gif

grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostFri Jul 01, 2011 1:15 pm 
One key to grizz identification is the ears. Grizz: ears short and round. Black bear: longer, more pointy ears. Color is not a useful way to distinguish the two because "black" bears come in all shades of black, brown and cinnamon and grizz also vary in color, although not as much. Montana Fish and Wildlife has an excellent training and testing program for hunters, who must know the difference between the two species: Grizzly Identification Program. Click on "Start Training" to go through the short program. There are enough borderline pictures in the test itself to challenge you!

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostFri Jul 01, 2011 1:17 pm 
Dave Workman wrote:
the story is that it suggests federal authorities had to study it and show it to other authorities before determining it was a griz
No, that's your big guhment boogie man interpretation. It actually says:
Quote:
In May, the hiker contacted North Cascades National Park, which examined the photographs and shared them with federal grizzly bear experts around the West. The group unanimously confirmed that the animal in question is a grizzly bear.
Examined = "looked at" shared = "e-mailed to"

The Angry Hiker
SAR Blacklistee

The Angry Hiker
SAR Blacklistee
PostFri Jul 01, 2011 2:20 pm 
I saw a shaved one on West Tiger 3 not loo long ago...
shaved grizzly on WT 3
shaved grizzly on WT 3

Dave Workman

Dave Workman
PostFri Jul 01, 2011 2:49 pm 
BigSteve wrote:
Dave Workman wrote:
the story is that it suggests federal authorities had to study it and show it to other authorities before determining it was a griz
No, that's your big guhment boogie man interpretation. It actually says:
Quote:
In May, the hiker contacted North Cascades National Park, which examined the photographs and shared them with federal grizzly bear experts around the West. The group unanimously confirmed that the animal in question is a grizzly bear.
Examined = "looked at" shared = "e-mailed to"
It shouldn't take a committee. But then, you "big guhment" folks (who need spelling lessons) do everything by committee, don't you? biggrin.gif

"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted." - D.H. Lawrence
rbuzby
Attention Surplus

rbuzby
Attention Surplus
PostFri Jul 01, 2011 3:16 pm 
Doppelganger wrote:
Any guesses as to where the photos were taken based on the first photo of the story?
Snowking / Buckindy neighborhood maybe?

Bernardo

Bernardo
PostFri Jul 01, 2011 3:49 pm 
Too bad the hiker who took the photo waited six months before reporting the sighting. As a result no physical evidence was collected. With today's photo editing software, a photo is always subject to question. Because of the delay some people will think this is a hoax.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri Jul 01, 2011 6:14 pm 
NewlyNorwegian wrote:
Why take pot-shots at the Feds at every opportunity? shakehead.gif It was never suggested a committee was needed for identification, it's just information sharing. Beautiful animal.
Why not? moon.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
tigermn

tigermn
PostFri Jul 01, 2011 7:07 pm 
I seems more and more threads about anything from passes to bear sightings are going political lol.gif Can't be cabin fever?

HundsSolo
Baby Step Hiking :o)

HundsSolo
Baby Step Hiking :o)
PostFri Jul 01, 2011 7:33 pm 
So which one of us took the pic's and don't want to share??? agree.gif confused.gif

The Mountains are Calling - I must go and PLAY! If you don't Respect Mother Nature, Mother Nature won't respect you. Wag More and Bark Less smile.gif
like2thruhike

like2thruhike
PostFri Jul 01, 2011 8:25 pm 
Years ago a friend who lived in the forest along I-90 beyond Snoqualmie Pass claimed she and others she had conversations with believed there was a grizzly along the PCT corridor. Their assumptions originated from large game with broken necks.I guess that could also be a big cat? I wouldn't mention this but she's a serious person who doesn't gossip or make sh*t up. But just like bigfoot,without photo proof,it's all speculation.

NewlyNorwegian

NewlyNorwegian
PostSat Jul 02, 2011 11:20 am 
Why not take pot shots at the Feds? As one of the biologists who looked at these photos, I take it personally when someone insults all Federal employees, let alone the group of us who were given those photos. I get tired of blanket insults, or as one co-worker calls it: "uncontrolable ego vomit." It's unfortunate there's so much of that allowed here. Insult someone by name is cowardice, insult an entire group of people you probably know nothing about is lower than cowardice. I usually let this kind of garbage roll off my back, but there's just too much trash allowed here. It's one of the most hostile forums I've ever seen. So, not necessarily "cabin fever" since there is so much of this kind of stuff from a few individuals.