Forum Index > Trail Talk > Rare Grizzly Bear Photographed in North Cascades.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
silence

silence
PostSat Jul 02, 2011 12:46 pm 
newlynorwegian -- i don't know what to say .. i can't apologize for others bad behavior .. i definitely feel your pain .. but you have to know we don't all think or act like that .. having been involved with conservation nw for 2 summers .. installing and servicing remote cameras deep in the n cascades for the purpose of targeting grizzlies .. i know how critical it is to have irrefutable documentation .. we thought we had a lynx once but it wasn't perfectly clear .. in any case i'm more than thrilled with this news ... i only wish we had captured the moment and i would say to others if they come across a griz .. snap a few shots, document the location, and report it as soon as possible to conservation nw .. they can then send out a biologist to collect further documentation .. like shots of the tracks and scat samples ... but don't stalk and never put yourselves at risk

PHOTOS FILMS Keep a good head and always carry a light bulb. – Bob Dylan
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostSat Jul 02, 2011 1:31 pm 
NewlyNorwegian - Welcome to the forum!
NewlyNorwegian wrote:
So, not necessarily "cabin fever" since there is so much of this kind of stuff from a few individuals.
Exactly, only a few individuals. I must say, if you think this forum is hostile then you haven't been on a lot of web forums! tongue.gif

forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostSat Jul 02, 2011 2:14 pm 
COWBOY UP BRUDDAH!!!!

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostSat Jul 02, 2011 3:15 pm 
There are a number of pretty vocal folk here who are anti-gummint. It is just a few people though. I'd love to see more of the bios and FS folk on the forum. We have a few already.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Oarboar
Comically unhip

Oarboar
Comically unhip
PostSat Jul 02, 2011 4:11 pm 
Welcome to the site, NewlyNorwegian! ---------------- I'm going to go out on a fairly short limb and say that the anti-gumminters complaining about how it took a committee to decide would've been the first to b!tch about how this was one lone employee making the call on his own, had it gone the other way.

Sadly, right now I'm a poseur. Sigh.
touron

touron
PostSat Jul 02, 2011 4:47 pm 
As long as they don't teach grizzlies to ride bicycles. Seeing one on the Burke Gilman trail would be unnerving.

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
HundsSolo
Baby Step Hiking :o)

HundsSolo
Baby Step Hiking :o)
PostSat Jul 02, 2011 8:55 pm 
Wouldn't it be boring if everyone had the same opinion? Or thought the same way? bored.gif blah.gif blah.gif bored.gif

The Mountains are Calling - I must go and PLAY! If you don't Respect Mother Nature, Mother Nature won't respect you. Wag More and Bark Less smile.gif
Benzarino

Benzarino
PostSat Jul 02, 2011 10:06 pm 
Having your own opinion and thoughts are encouraged! Repeating ad nauseam anti-govn't crap without using any critical thought is far from "thought", or at least it use to be...way back in 2008.

oldwhiner

oldwhiner
PostSat Jul 02, 2011 11:20 pm 
Dave Workman wrote:
It shouldn't take a committee. But then, you "big guhment" folks (who need spelling lessons) do everything by committee, don't you?
Why not D? When something is as rare as griz south of US 20 why not have a few people check each other before jumping to a conclusion? Relying on one person's take is not responsible.

Dreaming - a wistful dilemma between hope and disappointment, perpetuated by occasional bouts of happiness.
GeoHiker
Rocky Walker

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker
PostSun Jul 03, 2011 12:58 am 
You mean there are bears in our mountains?......I never! hockeygrin.gif

You call some place paradise, kiss it goodbye......Eagles
NewlyNorwegian

NewlyNorwegian
PostSun Jul 03, 2011 7:48 am 
I'm kinda new to the public forum thing. My wife and I both post on a photography forum and practically any hostile comments are deleted by the mods. I do appreciate thoughtful discussion, but I'm still a bit shocked by such blanket "vomit." I was raised with the quaint notion that one should speak nicely, and have a certain level of knowledge about what you engage in a discussion about. I know that's not always the case, and I've been lurking here for a couple of years and know that it's just a couple of individuals. Thanks.

Dale

Dale
PostSun Jul 03, 2011 8:50 am 
It takes more than one data point to do science. It is especially suspicious when the one data point is confirmed by a group of government "experts." Personally I have collected lots of data points on the lack of trustworthiness of government science. I spent a couple years in Antarctica during and after the International Geophysical Year doing electromagnetics "research" and the first 15 years of my engineering at Boeing working on government contracts. For sure I do not appreciate being told by a government "expert" that I should not question the validity of one data point that the powers to be will no doubt use as an excuse to spend lots of tax money to limit my ability to enjoy the mountains (all the way to the Columbia River?) with my family.

mike

mike
PostSun Jul 03, 2011 8:56 am 
Welcome NN. You'll have to use your own built in filter on the inaccurate, rude and ignorant comments, (even if they have smileys)

Schroder

Schroder
PostSun Jul 03, 2011 9:39 am 
The photos look like somewhere up on Eldorado. Park Rangers talked to me about 6-7 years ago of a sighting on Sahale Arm.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSun Jul 03, 2011 11:57 am 
A good gauge is to look at the TR's (just 1 or 2 don't count) if there are not any or if they only post in stewardship they are probably a troll or sock puppet.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn