Forum Index > Trail Talk > Rare Grizzly Bear Photographed in North Cascades.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
MadCapLaughs

MadCapLaughs
PostMon Nov 21, 2011 9:03 pm 
Ringangleclaw wrote:
You don't respond by crying like some young lady in the seventh grade

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostMon Nov 21, 2011 10:33 pm 
It looks like the same bear on two different days.

ChuckM

ChuckM
PostTue Nov 22, 2011 8:30 am 
This hike is certainly no one's "best kept secret". I remember reading a TR by nordique who was up there the same day I was. He took some zoomed shots of the black bear and posted on his flickr link. I emailed him some of my close up pictures and he was kind enough to include those as well. Ripple also referenced this TR which mentions a large bear. I'll take credit for being the photographer (my part of the conversation was basically "click, click, click" at 4.5 frames per second). Maybe there are more pictures of this bear out there??

gb

gb
PostWed Nov 23, 2011 4:41 pm 
Flower Sniffer wrote:
The general consensus seems to be that grizzly and black bears can't breed. Apparently they parted ways genetically too far back, so they are not compatable. The grizzly and polar bear parted ways in more recent history, so they are able to breed, but it is rare. Here's a website on the subject. http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2006/05/polar-bears_2.html
Now suppose you were a teenage (human years) male grizzly bear that had wandered into the North Cascades. Lord knows you would want to breed. Just who are you going to breed with? Partners are in short supply.....

Flower Sniffer
Sniffer of flowers

Flower Sniffer
Sniffer of flowers
PostWed Nov 23, 2011 4:48 pm 
Okay, I should have been more specific. The general consensus seems that a grizzly and black bear cannot produce offspring. I'm sure they could do the wild thing if they were so inclined. biggrin.gif

If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there.
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostWed Nov 23, 2011 5:00 pm 
Ringangleclaw wrote:
NewlyNorwegian wrote:
Why not take pot shots at the Feds? As one of the biologists who looked at these photos, I take it personally when someone insults all Federal employees, let alone the group of us who were given those photos. I get tired of blanket insults, or as one co-worker calls it: "uncontrolable ego vomit." It's unfortunate there's so much of that allowed here. Insult someone by name is cowardice, insult an entire group of people you probably know nothing about is lower than cowardice. I usually let this kind of garbage roll off my back, but there's just too much trash allowed here. It's one of the most hostile forums I've ever seen. So, not necessarily "cabin fever" since there is so much of this kind of stuff from a few individuals.
This post cracks me up. Shows why some people shouldn't be biologists, let alone federal biologists. When a scientific finding is questioned, you respond with further evidence. You don't respond by crying like some young lady in the seventh grade
There was no "questioning of a scientific finding" in the Federal employee bashing in question. There was simply a blanket statement that federal employees were incompetent for not recognizing a grizzly bear without even seeing the picture. If you bothered to read the thread, you would see just how completely brainless dave workman's complaint was. And backpacker joe's knee jerk response. The complaint was based on dave's being unable to process standard English without altering the meaning of what was written to satisfy his need to bash government at all times. Dave actually agreed with the findings, as you would know if you could/did read what he wrote. The labeling of their comments as "vomit" was right on target. Too bad you are either unable or unwilling to read what you are attacking. And please, no whining about how mean I'm being to you, since you lowered your own bar with your snide comment about the crying seventh grade young lady. Your post shows why you shouldn't be allowed to bother the grownups while they are talking.

George Winters

George Winters
PostWed Nov 23, 2011 9:36 pm 
The High Country News (HCN) article by Nathan Rice is now reprinted in Crosscut: Forget Sasquatch: The elusive Cascade Grizzly There have been follow up comments in HCN but reading the entire article and comments there is limited to subscribers.

When you are "miles from nowhere" you must have finally arrived at somewhere.
Asshat Redux
Dope

Asshat Redux
Dope
PostWed Nov 23, 2011 10:23 pm 
I think that if we were to take silohouetted photos of all of you, you'd all look like the experts on the panel.

Burke M
over-caffeinated

Burke M
over-caffeinated
PostWed Nov 23, 2011 11:56 pm 
is it a sailboat?

Ringangleclaw

Ringangleclaw
PostThu Nov 24, 2011 10:42 am 
Slugman wrote:
Ringangleclaw wrote:
NewlyNorwegian wrote:
Why not take pot shots at the Feds? As one of the biologists who looked at these photos, I take it personally when someone insults all Federal employees, let alone the group of us who were given those photos. I get tired of blanket insults, or as one co-worker calls it: "uncontrolable ego vomit." It's unfortunate there's so much of that allowed here. Insult someone by name is cowardice, insult an entire group of people you probably know nothing about is lower than cowardice. I usually let this kind of garbage roll off my back, but there's just too much trash allowed here. It's one of the most hostile forums I've ever seen. So, not necessarily "cabin fever" since there is so much of this kind of stuff from a few individuals.
This post cracks me up. Shows why some people shouldn't be biologists, let alone federal biologists. When a scientific finding is questioned, you respond with further evidence. You don't respond by crying like some young lady in the seventh grade
There was no "questioning of a scientific finding" in the Federal employee bashing in question. There was simply a blanket statement that federal employees were incompetent for not recognizing a grizzly bear without even seeing the picture. If you bothered to read the thread, you would see just how completely brainless dave workman's complaint was. And backpacker joe's knee jerk response. The complaint was based on dave's being unable to process standard English without altering the meaning of what was written to satisfy his need to bash government at all times. Dave actually agreed with the findings, as you would know if you could/did read what he wrote. The labeling of their comments as "vomit" was right on target. Too bad you are either unable or unwilling to read what you are attacking. And please, no whining about how mean I'm being to you, since you lowered your own bar with your snide comment about the crying seventh grade young lady. Your post shows why you shouldn't be allowed to bother the grownups while they are talking.
I thought you were ignoring me. I guess not. Please feel free to But to your point, what Dave said was actually very innocous and hardly qualifies as "ego vomit".

BeyondLost
Crazy Bob

BeyondLost
Crazy Bob
PostThu Nov 24, 2011 12:04 pm 
Dave Workman wrote:
I took one look at the image as a thumbnail and saw immediately it was a griz. That hump is kind of hard to mistake.
I've seen black bear with an apparent hump, especially in a large, old black bear. It can be accentuated by the phase of gait and weight bearing as well as the position of the bear. Especially, on a slope if browsing on low ground cover. Here are a few stock pics, all of black bear. That "pseudo hump" can be confusing.
black bear 7.jpg
black bear 7.jpg
black bear 6.jpg
black bear 6.jpg
black bear 5.jpg
black bear 5.jpg
black bear 4.jpg
black bear 4.jpg
black bear 3.jpg
black bear 3.jpg
Black bear.jpg
Black bear.jpg
Black bear 2.jpg
Black bear 2.jpg

Kat
Turtle Hiker

Kat
Turtle Hiker
PostFri Nov 25, 2011 5:03 am 
That second to last photo would definitely have had me thinking that bear was a grizzly. Being no expert!

gb

gb
PostFri Nov 25, 2011 5:43 pm 
Kat wrote:
That second to last photo would definitely have had me thinking that bear was a grizzly. Being no expert!
A hump for me doesn't look definitive except in profile and with the bear moving. But the snout of a black bear to me looks much like the snout of a Golden Retriever in profile or face on. The second to last photo doesn't have the snout shape of a grizzly, but I'd have to say the Grizzled fur sure is misleading.

GrnXnham

GrnXnham
PostFri Nov 25, 2011 8:15 pm 
BeyondLost wrote:
Dave Workman wrote:
I took one look at the image as a thumbnail and saw immediately it was a griz. That hump is kind of hard to mistake.
I've seen black bear with an apparent hump, especially in a large, old black bear. It can be accentuated by the phase of gait and weight bearing as well as the position of the bear. Especially, on a slope if browsing on low ground cover. Here are a few stock pics, all of black bear. That "pseudo hump" can be confusing.
black bear 7.jpg
black bear 7.jpg
black bear 6.jpg
black bear 6.jpg
black bear 5.jpg
black bear 5.jpg
black bear 4.jpg
black bear 4.jpg
black bear 3.jpg
black bear 3.jpg
Black bear.jpg
Black bear.jpg
Black bear 2.jpg
Black bear 2.jpg
Are these your pics? What is your source for calling all of these black bears? I'd swear that pictures 1,2, and 6 are grizzlies.

Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostFri Nov 25, 2011 11:33 pm 
I also think number one looks like a grizz. (I got 87% on the test from page one. biggrin.gif )