Forum Index > Trail Talk > Shady Pass road reopens
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostThu Jun 18, 2015 11:32 am 
CHELAN — The Shady Pass Road — Forest Service Road No. 5900 — reopened Wednesday after a brief closure for maintenance work and to protect the road’s surface from vehicle damage. The popular road connects the Twenty-five Mile Creek area on the south shore of Lake Chelan to the Entiat Valley Road No. 51. Road maintenance will continue through the end of June, and drivers are warned to travel slowly through these areas._Wenatchee World

Living in the Anthropocene
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostThu Jun 18, 2015 11:40 am 
This is great news! Now all of the truly important destinations up there are available to enjoy. It would be nice if someone here posted exact instructions about safely getting over there from the Phelps Creek TH. I forget.
Snow Brush along Snow Brushy Creek.

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
Studebaker Hoch

Studebaker Hoch
PostThu Jun 18, 2015 1:39 pm 
Snowbrushy wrote:
This is great news! Now all of the truly important destinations up there are available to enjoy. It would be nice if someone here posted exact instructions about safely getting over there from the Phelps Creek TH. I forget.
Snow Brush along Snow Brushy Creek.
Follow the trail; when you get to meadows look on the otherside of the meadow for the trail

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostThu Jun 18, 2015 2:03 pm 
Snowbrushy wrote:
It would be nice if someone here posted exact instructions about safely getting over there from the Phelps Creek TH. I forget.
Hike up Phelps CK to Leroy CK then hike into Leroy basin and continue to follow the trail to the right across a couple of low saddles (the second being to the left of Mt Maud) until you see Upper Ice Lake. From there drop into Lower Ice Lake and then into the Ice Ck Basin and on down to the Entiat Valley.

Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostThu Jun 18, 2015 2:14 pm 
HitTheTrail wrote:
Snowbrushy wrote:
It would be nice if someone here posted exact instructions about safely getting over there from the Phelps Creek TH. I forget.
..Leroy basin and continue to follow the trail to the right across a couple of low saddles (the second being to the left of Mt Maud) until you see Upper Ice Lake. From there drop into Lower Ice Lake and then into the Ice Ck Basin and on down to the Entiat Valley.
Exact? Thanks HTT. I was following boots on Carne Mt high route and not the leader, and there is a place to turn right and scramble over the ridge. My question is (where), because on that day I was just along for the ride and feeling lazy.

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostThu Jun 18, 2015 2:43 pm 
Snowbrushy wrote:
I was following boots on Carne Mt high route and not the leader, and there is a place to turn right and scramble over the ridge.
I think the Carne Mt HR is shorter and in my opinion as easy and more scenic. But, when you get to the last scree field just before the saddle to Upper Ice I would highly recommend dropping below those cliffs and then going back up to the saddle. You lose and regain all that elevation just to get a short distance horizontal, but (in my opinion) it is the much safer way. Last summer I did it by staying high and just going straight over and almost got myself into a very dangerous pickle.

Fletcher

Fletcher
PostFri Jun 19, 2015 10:18 am 
Im confused about where this road comes in? Is it on the Chiwawa side? Accessed from US2 or 97?

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostFri Jun 19, 2015 10:52 am 
Snowbrushy wrote:
HitTheTrail wrote:
Snowbrushy wrote:
..Leroy basin and continue to follow the trail to the right across a couple of low saddles (the second being to the left of Mt Maud) until you see Upper Ice Lake. From there drop into Lower Ice Lake and then into the Ice Ck Basin and on down to the Entiat Valley.
Exact? Thanks HTT. I was following boots on Carne Mt high route and not the leader, and there is a place to turn right and scramble over the ridge. My question is (where), because on that day I was just along for the ride and feeling lazy.
Same here and it was 1980. I do remember being a leetle bit nervous whilst working my way over some of the rocks. The frame pack was not my friend at that point. We were in snow on the other side of the ridge.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostFri Jun 19, 2015 11:33 am 
Fletcher wrote:
Im confused about where this road comes in? Is it on the Chiwawa side? Accessed from US2 or 97?
If you are talking about the Shady Pass road it is up the Entiat valley about 20 miles just below Silver Falls CG. If you are talking about the Phelps Ck TH it is up at the end of the Chiwawa River road above Lake Wenatchee.

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostFri Jun 19, 2015 12:05 pm 
Shady Pass Rd. starts on the Lake Chelan side of Chelan Ridge in 25 Mile State Park and comes over the top of Chelan Ridge dropping down to Entiat Rd. between Entiat Ridge to the South and Chelan Ridge to the North it has no access to the Chiwawa.

Living in the Anthropocene
Fletcher

Fletcher
PostFri Jun 19, 2015 12:47 pm 
Sorry for being unclear. I was talking about Shady Pass Road. But Im still confused.. does this mean that access to the Entiat trailhead and North Fork Entiat is restored via Shady Pass?

FiveNines

FiveNines
PostFri Jun 19, 2015 1:04 pm 
Fletcher, Shady Pass divides Entiat and Lake Chelan drains. Easiest way for Seattle guy to access is from Entiat Rd. Access from Entiat is short of Entiat Rd closure. This area provides reasonable, high elevation, access to NF Entiat peaks, like Saska, Cathedral, ect. (edit, meant Cardinal and not Cathedral, oops) Zoom out for context: http://caltopo.com/map.html#ll=47.99549,-120.49884&z=14&b=t

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostFri Jun 19, 2015 1:35 pm 
Fletcher wrote:
.. does this mean that access to the Entiat trailhead and North Fork Entiat is restored via Shady Pass?
Yes, the Entiat valley TH is closed. The Entiat Valley road is gated just past Silver Falls. That is about 7-8 miles down from the Entiat Valley TH. As I understand it you cannot even hike the closed road. Shady Pass goes by the Big Hill TH up on top of the pass. A 13.5 miles hike will get you up by Saska, Cardinal, and Emerald. Edit: that also means the North Fork Entiat TH is also closed since it is above Silver Falls