Forum Index > Trip Reports > Wonderland Trail Runner Trip report
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
alpinelakes

alpinelakes
PostSun Sep 04, 2011 12:12 pm 
Pretty hardcore...30 hours is a lot of continuous running on terrain like that...
Quote:
I had read that the gap was very icy and brought a 9 inch screwdriver along with me in case I needed to use it to dig into the ice for extra grip.
I recommend a well sharpened wood chisel. In addition to securing traction on icy slopes, it can be used to defend yourself against aggressive animals and dangerous lunatics, should any happen to appear along the trail. Also, you can carve amusing trinkets from small pieces of wood you pick up along the way...

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
kbatku
Questionable hiker

kbatku
Questionable hiker
PostSun Sep 04, 2011 3:24 pm 
Would have been nice were to have he returned and answered the questions & comments. As it is, his TR served very useful in settling a disagreement (in principle) my brother and I were having as to the feasibility of running the WT at all, much less in the 23 hours my friend claims that his friend ran it in. Who knew?

Mark Griffith
(Embrace yourself)

Mark Griffith
(Embrace yourself)
PostSun Sep 04, 2011 5:12 pm 
kbatku wrote:
Would have been nice were to have he returned and answered the questions & comments.
Maybe he's out running? smile.gif

kbatku
Questionable hiker

kbatku
Questionable hiker
PostSun Sep 04, 2011 7:24 pm 
Mark Griffith wrote:
Maybe he's out running? smile.gif
When he gets back, I hope he writes about it. smile.gif

williswall
poser

williswall
poser
PostSun Sep 04, 2011 11:31 pm 
kbatku wrote:
As it is, his TR served very useful in settling a disagreement (in principle) my brother and I were having as to the feasibility of running the WT at all, much less in the 23 hours my friend claims that his friend ran it in.
Most current ultrarunners that are doing 100 mile races (or even 50's) are probably capable of doing the WT in 36 hours or less. The better ones can cover it in 24. The distance and elevation profile is not unlike many 100s around the country. Only difference is you are self supported (unless you run the Plain 100, then it's not a difference). John Stamstad ran the WT some years back in 24 hours and he wasn't even a "runner" (retired pro mountain biker). The longest he had run up to that point was 30 miles. I think you'd be surprised at the number of people who run the WT each year, they just don't broadcast it or write about it.

I desire medium danger williswall.com
balto

balto
PostMon Sep 05, 2011 12:05 pm 
It's a good guess that "alint3500" is Adam Lint. An accomplished runner (and once a member of the US 100K national team), running 93 miles in 30 hours would likely be a lark for him. According to this record, for example, he ran the Cascade Crest 100 mile race in 22 hours last year, and the Vermont 100 under 18 1/2 hours: http://ultrasignup.com/results_participant.aspx?fname=Adam&lname=Lint&age=28 Cheers!

usteidl

usteidl
PostWed Sep 07, 2011 12:09 am 
yes, it was Adam Lint. Not sure why he didn't respond. I did a 55 mile loop with him 10 days ago, Snoqualmie Pass - PCT to Waptus Lake, Dutch Miller Gap, Goldmeyer, Red Mtn Pass, Snoqualmie Pass. Took us 16 hours, mostly because of my stomach issues. (trip report on www.wta.org - search trip reports for 'Dutch Miller Gap'). Adam did mention something like "apparently the parks people frown upon running the trail". Not sure why, except that they are afraid some runners will need to be rescued when they overdo it....

Uli Steidl
swbkrun

swbkrun
PostWed Sep 07, 2011 9:24 pm 
Thanks for the update. Very impressive Adam.

2.4 Miles of Hope, 112 of Work, and 26.2 Miles of Truth www.averymckenna.smugmug.com
silence

silence
PostThu Sep 08, 2011 8:31 am 
this may be hogwash .. but i think someone once said that trail runners .. esp at dusk, dawn and nighttime .. appear as prey for big predators .. esp cougars .. and so this could ultimately put everyone on 2 legs at risk; if you've noticed cats and bears and deer and elk all use the trails too but my guess is that it's more about injury and rescue issues .. and maybe liability? .. and i'm not sure it's system-wide .. just at rainier np wow badwater .. 135 miles .. unbelievable times on that

PHOTOS FILMS Keep a good head and always carry a light bulb. – Bob Dylan
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Sep 08, 2011 10:47 am 
I think the NPS perspective/policy is jaded by the fact that 98% of the folks they deal with are "tourists" that have little knowlege or fitness. That and the fact that the NPS doesn't actually have staff to perform search and rescue operations -- if someone does get lost or hurt -- they depend on the volunteer mountain rescue organziations from Tacoma, Seattle and Portland. I think the NPS rangers goal is to minimize the number of times that search and rescue operations need to be organzied.

alint3500

alint3500
PostFri Sep 09, 2011 12:23 pm 
I carried just one water bottle and filled up at the streams. There was plenty of water along the way. I did not purify, its a risk I choose to take. Mountain water is typically pretty darn clean, but it is certainly a judgement call as many are not comfortable without a filter or some type of purification. Also my goal was not to break records, I simply wanted to enjoy myself for as much of the run as possibly. The main reason I run is because I love it, competition is a distant second:) Thanks to all the replies and Happy Trails!

Hiker Chick

Hiker Chick
PostFri Sep 09, 2011 9:48 pm 
What an accomplishment!! I cannot fathom eating 30 pop tarts though....

If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in the dark with a mosquito. Silence is golden and duct tape is silver. I don't write trip reports.
Yet

Yet
PostSat Sep 10, 2011 10:21 am 
What a great read! Thanks for sharing this run with us. up.gif smile.gif