Forum Index > Gear Talk > Trailhead bikes?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Brucester

Brucester
PostFri Mar 01, 2024 10:30 am 
Curious what you're riding these days..... I might be aquiring a commuter or really low tech mtb soon. How much faith in a rusty chain that's been revived? Fatter used tires? Should a person be worried about cracked side walls? Whether to lock up a trailhead bike or just hide with a note?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
neek

neek
PostFri Mar 01, 2024 11:11 am 
Congrats! Well-maintained dumpster bikes are great. Practical, less likely to get stolen, and if they are, oh well. I use an old schwinn hard tail mtb for trail access, touring bike for groceries, and custom steel bike for recreational road/gravel.
Brucester wrote:
How much faith in a rusty chain that's been revived?
None. New chain is $20 and easy to install. I've broken a chain before, kind of ruins the day. If you do opt to just clean it up, inspect every link very carefully for small cracks.
Brucester wrote:
Fatter used tires? Should a person be worried about cracked side walls?
Ick, again I'd replace; sidewall ruptures can't be repaired. Unlike at the beginning of the pandemic, bike stuff is now cheap.
Brucester wrote:
Whether to lock up a trailhead bike or just hide with a note?
Definitely lock up. Hide if possible.

Now I Fly, FiveNines
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri Mar 01, 2024 2:01 pm 
Absolutely don't take any chances with the chain and tires. That's just tempting fate.

FiveNines

FiveNines
PostFri Mar 01, 2024 3:11 pm 
I copy everything Neek posts. Will emphasize lock and hide. Will add chain tool + quicklink is useful / easy way to fix broken chains in the field. eta
neek wrote:
Ick, again I'd replace; sidewall ruptures can't be repaired. Unlike at the beginning of the pandemic, bike stuff is now cheap.
I'd replace the tires, too, but have had success field repairing sidewall ruptures with dollar bills or business cards.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri Mar 01, 2024 3:53 pm 
I have been successful hiding trail bikes away back from the trailhead and off in the woods where it cannot be seen from road and trail and locking. I then add a waypoint to my gps, old geocache method. Do not use an animal or bathroom trail to get there.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Brucester

Brucester
PostSat Mar 16, 2024 9:20 am 
That bike is going into the dumpster where it belongs. I had high hopes but it seems to be a lost cause. I don't want my Salsa Fargo to see me on that beater. lol.gif Anyone scrap bikes? Free bike for art projects!

RichP

RichP
PostMon Mar 18, 2024 9:29 am 
Plenty of orgs like this take bikes and fix them to ship to developing countries. https://www.villagebicycleproject.org

Cyclopath
FiveNines

FiveNines
PostMon Mar 18, 2024 7:55 pm 
Bikeworks was good Seattle / local organization 20 years ago. I bet they still are today. https://bikeworks.org/ Mission Statement: "Bike Works promotes the bicycle as a vehicle for change to empower youth and build resilient communities. Since 1996 we’ve worked to educate and empower youth, and make bicycling accessible and affordable to the Seattle community."

Cyclopath
domaz

domaz
PostTue Mar 19, 2024 9:07 am 
Malachai Constant wrote:
I have been successful hiding trail bikes away back from the trailhead and off in the woods where it cannot be seen from road and trail and locking. I then add a waypoint to my gps, old geocache method. Do not use an animal or bathroom trail to get there.
If you want to be really paranoid disassemble your bike as much as possible and put all the items in multiple locations that you mark on your GPS or note. Someone finding a bike frame with no wheel is going to have a heck of a time hauling it pack 5 or 6 miles to the trailhead.

domaz

domaz
PostTue Mar 19, 2024 9:09 am 
FiveNines wrote:
Bikeworks was good Seattle / local organization 20 years ago. I bet they still are today. https://bikeworks.org/ Mission Statement: "Bike Works promotes the bicycle as a vehicle for change to empower youth and build resilient communities. Since 1996 we’ve worked to educate and empower youth, and make bicycling accessible and affordable to the Seattle community."
Second Cycle in Tacoma as well has a similar mission and is a great place to find older bikes.

williswall
poser

williswall
poser
PostThu Apr 18, 2024 10:37 am 
I've kept up the maintenance of my vintage 2000 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo e Koo, just used it to bike 410 to the White River road and out after skiing. I'm not about to leave my $4K Salsa in the woods. I hide it out of sight and/or lock it up. I've thought about getting rid of it but it still works well for this function so why not? Of course I've replaced tires/cables/brake pads etc along the way.
on the road AM
on the road AM

I desire medium danger williswall.com
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Apr 19, 2024 10:53 am 
FWIW: When I lived in Ballard during the 80s and '90s I had good experiences learning to wrench my bikes at Wright Bros Cycle works in Fremont -- they are still around. The are kind of throwback to another era -- offering both classes, workspace, tools and helpful advice for maintaining your bike. https://wrightbrotherscycleworks.com/index.htm