Forum Index > Gear Talk > Do you replace gear before or after it fails?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Luc

Luc
PostTue Mar 19, 2024 1:05 pm 
Do you wait for gear to fail in the field before replacing it? I've got the OG Neoair from about 15 years ago, love it. I can't believe it's lasted this long. I never use it outside the tent and I'm very diligent on pine needles in the tent or when I'm rolling it up. Before any trip of significance, I inflate it at home pretty tightly and let it sit overnight to make sure it's still good. I know nothing lasts forever, and 15y is a pretty good run for well used gear. So when would you replace it, or something like it? Beyond discovering leaks before a trip or severely abraded surfaces, do you just wait for a trip to be compromised (or hosed) or is there some shelf life number you consider? If I went ahead and replaced it before it really fails, then I'm sure I'd just start using the new one, and the old piece of gear, while 100% functional, would be neglected most of the time. Kind of a waste. But still, I really don't want to have to bail on a long trip because of gear failure.

GNGSTR
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue Mar 19, 2024 1:10 pm 
I would continue to use it until it fails. There is no guarantee that a new one might not fail, especially since the quality of gear 15 years ago might very well be better than today. I have a couple of old school Thermarests, one full length and one 3/4. I purchased one of those fold up non inflatable pads from walmart and I plan to use that under my air mattress, especially if I am using a floorless tent. Both for protection and comfort.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Eric Hansen

Eric Hansen
PostTue Mar 19, 2024 9:33 pm 
Depends on what kind of trips you are doing, and what a mattress failure would mean. Two miles from the car (and a possible spare mattress) or 30 miles? I had a near brand new mattress fail 2 years ago and since then have a spare in the car.

Off trail rambler
Navy salad

Navy salad
PostSat Mar 30, 2024 2:53 pm 
You might want to bring some patching material, just in case. I bring some Tenacious Tape for just this reason (quick and easy to apply), but also have a couple actual mattress patches. Neither weighs much at all.

Luc

Luc
PostMon Apr 01, 2024 4:16 pm 
I always bring a patch kit. Come to think of it, the patch kit has turned out to be one of the items I just take on hiking trips thinking it enjoys it. Same with the monocular and extra food.

GNGSTR

NWtrax
KascadeFlat

KascadeFlat
PostTue Apr 02, 2024 8:48 pm 
Failed gear is just my gear having a mid-life crisis. smile.gif

For a good time call: 1-800-SLD-ALDR.
the1mitch

the1mitch
PostTue Apr 09, 2024 9:04 am 
Back to the original post header, Do I wait for gear to fail? Yes and no. I lead treks and lots of the time my gear gets "distributed" to friends and newbies. In my experience, gear has a way of letting you know that its time is running out. Slow leaks, dripping seams, sputtering stoves are not scheduled in my world. I have a 6 year old REI pad with two patches that are holding fine. My 1975 MSR stove is still rocking for winter trips even though I've joined the 21st century with a canister stove for the rest of the year. As a seasoned citizen, my quest is for lighter kit whenever I make purchases/swaps. The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak.

illegitimi non carborundum!
peter707

peter707
PostTue Apr 09, 2024 10:14 am 
In my opinion, discard if: - Safety-critical gear reaches scheduled lifetime. - Safety-critical gear experiences impacts near rated strength. - Piece of gear is completely hopeless Lend to friends if: - New advancements have made the old item obsolete or heavy enough to be worth swapping out. Repair if: - The piece of equipment is visibly failing, and the partially failed state is going to hurt other equipment. Large holes in a pack, worn-down crampon protector, etc. - Waterproofing has failed, new coating can be applied. Other than that, I consider well-used gear a time-saver when picking up permits or skipping various other safety briefings.

the1mitch
Eric Hansen

Eric Hansen
PostTue Apr 09, 2024 1:38 pm 
"I consider well-used gear a time-saver when picking up permits " Back in the 1990's I had a duct tape bound, very wrinkled, copy of the "Climbers Guide to Glacier National Park" with me when I approached the NPS counter for an off trail "Undesignated" permit. I would immediately lay the book on the counter. Typically the rangers at that desk were in their first season at the park and that well seasoned book seemed to work well in impressing on them that I was a highly experienced visitor.

Off trail rambler
Ashleynne

Ashleynne
PostThu Apr 18, 2024 6:05 pm 
I’m always too busy updating my gear to the point where I’ve never had something fail on me because I already traded it in or had a replacement available. 😆