Forum Index > Trail Talk > Picture of the Day
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostSun Nov 06, 2022 4:51 pm 
I took this a few hours ago. I know the Cedar Waxwing isnít a particularly rare bird, but this was only the third time I'd seen it, and the first time that I also had my camera with me. I think this is a gorgeous bird, so I was a bit disappointed that I couldn't get a totally clear shot before it flew off.

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani

lanzscape, JimK, Prosit, Slim, gb, awilsondc, joker, Anne Elk, Gil, Kascadia, mike
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostMon Nov 07, 2022 8:10 pm 
I will be eyeing the opportunities for getting some dynamic weather along the WA and OR coasts as well as the potential for skiing in the mountains. I love hiking and photographing along the Pacific in wintry weather. This is from an early spring trip to OR this year - along the shore on the south side of Cape Perpetua where there are some really nice surge channels like this. It's a fun state park for moderate hiking and shooting.
Perpetua Surge Channel (1 of 1)
Perpetua Surge Channel (1 of 1)

mike, half fast, Slim, JimK, Anne Elk
gb

gb
PostTue Nov 08, 2022 4:39 am 
GaliWalker wrote:
I took this a few hours ago. I know the Cedar Waxwing isnít a particularly rare bird, but this was only the third time I'd seen it, and the first time that I also had my camera with me. I think this is a gorgeous bird, so I was a bit disappointed that I couldn't get a totally clear shot before it flew off.
They are wonderfully decorous birds. I see them on occasion at Magnuson Park in Seattle, but not in such a nice setting.

GaliWalker
ALW Hiker
lakebagger

ALW Hiker
lakebagger
PostTue Nov 08, 2022 8:37 pm 
Snow Lake today

Chief Joseph, GaliWalker, joker, half fast, RichP, mosey, runup
Kenji

Kenji
PostThu Nov 10, 2022 4:41 pm 
From 161 yesterday
From 161 yesterday

dylpickle, JimK, mike, ChinookPass, GaliWalker, half fast, Gil, Tom, RichP  awilsondc  Aussie  kite
Olympic Hiker

Olympic Hiker
PostThu Nov 10, 2022 5:38 pm 
Went to Twanoh State Park today to take some Twanoh Creek pictures and discovered that salmon were heading up stream. Salmon had made it about a quarter of a mile upstream from the canal to where water wasnít deep enough to swim.

If you once forfeit the confidence of your fellow citizens, you can never regain their respect and esteem. - Lincoln

Pyrites, Chief Joseph  kite, meck
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Nov 11, 2022 11:17 am 

BW, runup, Pyrites, ChinookPass, GaliWalker
awilsondc

awilsondc
PostFri Nov 11, 2022 1:30 pm 
"The Tree" - Japanese Maple - Portland Japanese Garden
"The Tree" - Japanese Maple - Portland Japanese Garden

reststep, lanzscape, JimK, Sculpin, half fast, Chief Joseph, mike, Prosit, Olympic Hiker, ChinookPass
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostMon Nov 14, 2022 10:58 am 
Zion Branch Dance (1 of 1)
Here's a shot from early November 2018 near the Virgin River in Zion's main valley. I really enjoyed wandering around there in the morning while the sun was being reflected off the north wall of the canyon onto the shaded terrain around me - it's really special light and at this time of year it lasts for a good while. I just revisited this shot because I had trouble processing it in such a way as to get the color and tones to match what my mind recalls from the scene - this finally gets close to that "mind's eye" image.

JimK, Anne Elk, mike
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostMon Nov 14, 2022 2:14 pm 
Virgin Cottonwoods (1 of 1)
Virgin Cottonwoods (1 of 1)
Here's another shot from the other side of the valley in the afternoon, when the light is on the other wall...

JimK, half fast, meck
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Nov 16, 2022 8:47 pm 
Gnome fishing at seekrit lake
Gnome fishing at seekrit lake

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostSun Nov 20, 2022 12:42 pm 
Rim Lit Zion Ridges (1 of 1)
Rim Lit Zion Ridges (1 of 1)
Another belated edit from my 2018 Utah trip, this one also from Zion, along the trail up to Observation point (the trail I hiked out of the main valley on this hike is currently closed due to rockfall btw). I enjoyed this hike much more than the wildly popular hike up to Angel's Landing - more varied, great views, less people. I think I made it back to the trailhead just in time to catch the second-to-last shuttle of the day after spending much time in the morning taking pictures down in the valley and then again in the afternoon up high on this hike doing the same.

Anne Elk, ChinookPass
ChinookPass

ChinookPass
PostSun Nov 20, 2022 9:24 pm 
First light near Frenchglen, OR. September 6, 2022. Climbing the hill on the way out of town on a bike tour of central and southeast, Oregon.

Sculpin
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostMon Nov 21, 2022 2:28 pm 
If some of you are wondering what has happened to Wildernessed.....he still gets out. Here he is with Steve and I up at Horse Lake today.
Up on Horse Lake near Wenatchee.
Up on Horse Lake near Wenatchee.

Get Out and Go, joker, ChinookPass, Sculpin, RichP
gb

gb
PostMon Nov 21, 2022 3:05 pm 
joker wrote:
Here's a shot from early November 2018 near the Virgin River in Zion's main valley. I really enjoyed wandering around there in the morning while the sun was being reflected off the north wall of the canyon onto the shaded terrain around me - it's really special light and at this time of year it lasts for a good while. I just revisited this shot because I had trouble processing it in such a way as to get the color and tones to match what my mind recalls from the scene - this finally gets close to that "mind's eye" image.
In the desert where I've not been in a few years, now, that is my favorite kind of lighting because it is so rich and warm from the sun on opposite walls. Eliot Porter did a great deal of that photography in his book, "Glen Canyon the Place No One Knew". Porter called that canyon lighting. His photography was the artistic inspiration on my first trips to canyon country in the early 90's. https://catalogue.swanngalleries.com/Lots/auction-lot/ELIOT-PORTER-%281901-1990%29-Portfolio-entitled-Glen-Canyon?saleno=2536&lotNo=213&refNo=770329

joker