Forum Index > Trip Reports > Cedar Crk. Falls in Drought Conditions, 01.25.14
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher

Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher
PostSun Jan 26, 2014 4:40 pm 
Cedar Crk. Falls is a super popular/crowded hike, therefore I've avoided it for the 3 yrs. I've lived here. Apparently it's riddled w/a bunch of unprepared, drunken dumbasses who dive from the top of the falls into the pool below, injuring or killing themselves. Other people just underestimate their abilities when it comes to making the hike back out to the car, & pass out due to exhaustion or dehydration or whatever. & there's prolly a few numbnuts who hike in flip flops, twisting their ankles, etc. Because we're officially now in a drought, I thought it might be the best time to finally visit the falls since perhaps that would translate to less people. up.gif Plus, I've been too lazy this wk. to plan something more substantial, so just figured this would be an easy hike that wouldn't involve any routefinding. My research told of needing an Adventure Pass to park @ the trailhead, so since ours was expired we picked up a new permit on the way out of town. We came in via rds. to the SE, knowing that a certain rd. we took in the past when we did Sunshine Mtn. turned out to be long, rough, & confusing. We would later realize that there's a 2nd option for coming from the north that was much better, but oh well. There's also a new trail that's been built coming from the west, but we were unsure of its completion so we decided upon the old/standard route from the east. When we reached the trailhead it was empty, much to my delight. smile.gif But, in short order there arrived about 4 other vehicles. huh.gif & then I remembered that probably even more people would be hiking in from the west since it's closer to town, but I tried not to let my disappointment put a damper on things. hmmm.gif While MM finished booting up, I got pictures of the plethora of warning signs @ the trailhead. This was a 4.5-mile RT hike, w/1,200' of elevation loss & all on trail--pretty easy in my book. These cautionary signs, however, made us feel as though we were embarking on a journey of epic proportions w/little hope of survival. eek.gif
Permit area
Permit area
Warning sign
Warning sign
Permit info
Permit info
Permit info
Permit info
No cell service not an excuse
No cell service not an excuse
In other words, no drunken idiots jumping from falls
In other words, no drunken idiots jumping from falls
Yeah, this rd. did suck to drive on
Yeah, this rd. did suck to drive on
"Rescue may not be possible"
"Rescue may not be possible"
OK already!  We get it.
OK already! We get it.
The signs spoke of a permit, & we assumed they were talking about the Adventure Pass so we were good to go. up.gif
Cuyamaca Pk.
Cuyamaca Pk.
Mildred Falls all dried up
Mildred Falls all dried up
On the trail
On the trail
Heading down the valley
Heading down the valley
Yet another warning sign
Yet another warning sign
Shortly before the falls however, a ranger was lying in wait for unsuspecting hikers. It turns out that the permit is something different & additional to the AP, & is a brand new system they put in place due to the overcrowding & damage being done to this particular area. He took our info & wrote us a warning ticket ("I don't normally do this but...."), letting us proceed since we had the AP & he admitted that there was some confusion between the 2 permits. He also admitted that we didn't even really need the AP since there were no bathrooms or other facilities where we parked & that in the past the FS had gotten overzealous w/their enforcement of the AP. He let us proceed w/a "Be very careful & don't get injured up there!" farewell statement, & we were off. The falls were just a short distance further & yes, it was still crowded. We overheard other hikers talking about getting warning tickets from the ranger as well. paranoid.gif
Cedar Crk. Falls
Cedar Crk. Falls
Cedar Crk. Falls
Cedar Crk. Falls
Cedar Crk. Falls
Cedar Crk. Falls
MM @ the falls
MM @ the falls
We didn't stay too long since it was annoying with all the people around talking, yelling, & throwing rocks. huh.gif
Peak across the valley
Peak across the valley
Looking up the valley on the hike out
Looking up the valley on the hike out
Since I'm writing this report, I survived the hike back out which really was no big deal. All those warning signs must be for people who have never set foot on a trail & basically can't function outside the confines of the city. confused.gif I think it's time to get back to hiking in Anza-Borrego..... agree.gif

Home is where the hiking is. "Peaks that have come and gone four times should halt a man in his steps." -- William O. Douglas A balanced diet is a margarita in each hand.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message

PostSun Jan 26, 2014 6:14 pm 
What permit did you need?? Price?? Name?? etc.

Retired Forester....rambling round www.usbackroads.blogspot.com
PorcupinePhobia
Murse

PorcupinePhobia
Murse
PostSun Jan 26, 2014 7:26 pm 
wonder what the stats are for fatalities in that area, considering the overkill signage!

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostMon Jan 27, 2014 12:35 am 
PorcupinePhobia wrote:
wonder what the stats are for fatalities in that area, considering the overkill signage!
Well, it is in California...enough said!

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher

Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher
PostMon Jan 27, 2014 9:06 pm 
509 wrote:
What permit did you need?? Price?? Name?? etc.
I dunno, it's kinda cryptic...but here's what it says when you go to the recreation.gov website: http://www.recreation.gov/permits/Cedar_Creek_Falls/r/wildernessAreaDetails.do?page=details&contractCode=NRSO&parkId=109033&topTabIndex=Permits

Home is where the hiking is. "Peaks that have come and gone four times should halt a man in his steps." -- William O. Douglas A balanced diet is a margarita in each hand.
Gil

Gil
PostMon Jan 27, 2014 9:40 pm 
Always enjoy your reports from SoCal! Keep 'em coming!

Friends help the miles go easier. Klahini