Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Non-AWD/4WD Trailhead car (30+mpg/reliability/function)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostFri Jun 29, 2012 7:07 am 
Mugs wrote:
boot up wrote:
Supposedly, if I can believe a local Subaru "expert" mechanic, you have to keep the battery terminals REALLY clean on the trouble years of cars otherwise the electrons have an easier route going through the engine instead of the wiring, dragging a gaggle of headgasket ions with them, eventually leaving a gap in said gasket.
What ever suby "expert" told you that does know his head from his butt, and should not be allowed to work on anything but maybe a dull spoon.
http://allwheeldriveauto.com/subaru-head-gaskets-problems-explained-part-ii/ I am guessing he would have the same opinion of you. My lack of faith in ALL car mechanics, makes me figure you are probably both correct.

friluftsliv
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostFri Jun 29, 2012 8:00 am 
Allison wrote:
That reminds me of what I remember THE MOST about my Suub. camtimingbeltwaterpump camtimingbeltwaterpump camtimingbeltwaterpump camtimingbeltwaterpump camtimingbeltwaterpump camtimingbeltwaterpump camtimingbeltwaterpump camtimingbeltwaterpump camtimingbeltwaterpump camtimingbeltwaterpump camtimingbeltwaterpump camtimingbeltwaterpump camtimingbeltwaterpump camtimingbeltwaterpump camtimingbeltwaterpump camtimingbeltwaterpump Times like a million gazillion. It seemed like it was every couple of tanks of gas, but it probably wasn't THAT often.
WTF? Subie timing belt change interval is 60,000 miles to 100,000 miles, depending on the engine.

like2thruhike

like2thruhike
PostFri Jun 29, 2012 2:17 pm 
I had a 87 Subaru GL wagon that was pretty bad ass. I paid 700 bucks for it after finishing the 'AT in '98 and sold it in '02 before I headed off on the PCT. Not much trouble.Automatic w/ pushbutton 4wd. Hauled a yard of cedar bark mulch in it.That was a cubic yard inside of it...... Did a bunch of 4 wheeing in it. Had a few good nights sleep in it. Talk about a great car design,front wheel drive for higher mpg,then shift into 4WD when you need it. IMHO front wheel drive is green. AWD is hype.Kinda like the 1970's when trucks had fulltime 4WD.

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostFri Jun 29, 2012 2:47 pm 
BigSteve wrote:
WTF? Subie timing belt change interval is 60,000 miles to 100,000 miles, depending on the engine.
I'd say I did this procedure 4x in 100K miles I had the car. That was nothing compared to the transmission and the engine (that was a head gasket, but the engine replace is often the best course in that case). Yup, great cars. shakehead.gif I'll never own one again, leaving more for the rest of y'all.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
mike

mike
PostFri Jun 29, 2012 3:33 pm 
So the reasoning in much of this thread can be synthesized as follows: I owned a XXXX. It was a POS. ergo, all XXX's are P's OS. Sorry folks, not enough data points. Take a look at the Consumer Reports reliability records for anything remotely meaningful.

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostFri Jun 29, 2012 4:59 pm 
I am sure there are plenty of data points on Subaru head gaskets.

tigermn

tigermn
PostFri Jun 29, 2012 5:08 pm 
It is funny to read how people get so defensive and hostile when someone disagrees about the type of car they think is good or bad and feel they have to defend their love for whatever to the death. Life's too short for crap like that. It's a frigging car for crying out loud. Get over it. Like what you like, others will like what they like. If we all bought the same make and model it would be a pretty boring world. lol.gif

Bogart

Bogart
PostFri Jun 29, 2012 5:22 pm 
boot up wrote:
http://allwheeldriveauto.com/subaru-head-gaskets-problems-explained-part-ii/ I am guessing he would have the same opinion of you. My lack of faith in ALL car mechanics, makes me figure you are probably both correct.
Boot - With due respect to that article, the test that he uses to show that electrons flow through the cooling system does not show what the author represents it does. He is only showing that the cooling system is at ground with respect to the positive term on the battery (ie - potential) not current flow. Also, the grounding connections (IIRC) on Subie engines are from the block to the sub-frame. On the 2.5 that I have, I don't recall there being ground straps from the head to the sub-frame. He is, however, correct on the fact that maintaining your coolant quality is important and that good ground connections help other systems in the car function better. Bad or floating grounds can cause quite a few gremlins to pop up. Allison - I'm sorry you had a bad experience with your car, but suggesting that replacing the engine is "often" the best course of action for a blown headgasket does not match up with anything I've seen written about Subaru engines.

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostFri Jun 29, 2012 7:20 pm 
You are entitled to your opinion. I am just not a fan.

Tom_Sjolseth
Born Yesterday

Tom_Sjolseth
Born Yesterday
PostFri Jun 29, 2012 7:47 pm 
Speaking of fans, I'm pretty sure the 98+ Subaru wagons had issues with their fan blade shrouds - that's what this guy at Denny's told me one time, and I believe him.. he had an STP truckers hat and everything. Anyways, something about thermal flux in the cylinder core that erodes the sp3 orbitals. The electrons get excited and flux to a different state and become different chemicals entirely, namely hydrogen and freon which, coincidentally, are commercially available as fishing bait from the more reputable sporting goods retailers. Therefore, my vote is for NOT Subaru. up.gif up.gif

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostFri Jun 29, 2012 8:15 pm 
Allison wrote:
BigSteve wrote:
I'd say I did this procedure 4x in 100K miles I had the car. That was nothing compared to the transmission and the engine (that was a head gasket, but the engine replace is often the best course in that case). .
Could you please tell me who your mechanic or dealer was so I can avoid that con artist like the plague!! A new engine for a blown gasket? Someone really saw you coming. And there is no possible explanation for all those belts and water pumps. Thats why I really have no faith in car mechanics. there are a very very few honest and competent ones out there, but they are just about impossible to find. Too much money is involved in car repairs, which tends to attract a less than scrupulous bunch of people to the trade. Thats also why I tend to bail on a car as soon as it starts to break down and need too much attention by a mechanic. No blame on you Allison. You shouldn't have to have the background to verify what a "professional" is telling you. But whatever you do, don't take your new car or other cars to that place/mechanic!

friluftsliv
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri Jun 29, 2012 8:16 pm 
There is good and bad in every line up and manufacturer. I had issues with head gaskets on my Suby as well. Its inherent in the design of the engine. Boxer flat engines allow oil to sit and soak the gaskets every time you turn off the engine. Over time is wears them. That doesnt mean the car(s) arent good cars. They are. A lot of people report problems with their Volkswagens. I've had mine 11 years and 155,000 miles with no problems at all!

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." Abraham Lincoln
Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostFri Jun 29, 2012 11:16 pm 
boot up wrote:
Allison wrote:
I'd say I did this procedure 4x in 100K miles I had the car. That was nothing compared to the transmission and the engine (that was a head gasket, but the engine replace is often the best course in that case). .
Could you please tell me who your mechanic or dealer was so I can avoid that con artist like the plague!! A new engine for a blown gasket? Someone really saw you coming. And there is no possible explanation for all those belts and water pumps.
No kidding, that mechanic should be outed for the con-artist he is. You don't replace a timing belt except at the recommended intervals. There is simply no reason to, they don't fail sooner. In fact, they'll usually go quite a bit longer than the recommended interval before failure - the factory designs a little bit of cushion into that interval to be sure they don't fail on people who properly maintain their cars. And replacing a $3k engine instead of doing an $800 headgasket job is just plain silly. Let's see if I got this right: Your mechanic bent you over every time you brought your Subaru in to the shop, therefore Subaru makes a crappy car. Gotcha. rolleyes.gif

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostSat Jun 30, 2012 6:49 am 
Three different shops in two different cities. Can timing belt stranded me every time it failed, and after it was fixed, the car worked again. I am not good with cars, but understand worky/no worky.

tom roy

tom roy
PostSat Jun 30, 2012 7:06 pm 
here is something interesting for South Korean car buyers http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/10/automobiles/korean-automakers-are-siblings-yet-rivals.html