Forum Index > Trip Reports > Daisy spends the night at Park Butte lookout
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostTue Aug 16, 2011 6:58 pm 
We left Lynnwood at 9 am Sunday, and stopped in Burlington to get my microspikes at Wholesale Sports. They gave me a coupon for $20 off a $100 purchase, and it expires on September 31st. suuure.gif The store is pretty big, with lots of dead animals looming over you wherever you go. Nice selection of canoes. We got to Schreiber's meadow at noon, and it was raining. frown.gif Luckily Park Butte is a two day trip, and we had three days. So we drove over to the Blue lake/Dock butte trailhead, and by then the rain had become intermittent, which was good enough, so we ambled over to Blue lake. This lake being at the stunningly high elevation of 4,000 ft, of course it was totally snowed in. The trail is about 50% snow, and some route finding was needed to get there. The fog lifted a couple of times so I managed to sneak in a few pictures.
Park Butte Blue lake 026
Park Butte Blue lake 026
Blue lake
Blue lake
Blue lake waterfall
Blue lake waterfall
Park Butte Blue lake 054
Park Butte Blue lake 054
We slept in the back of the car at the trailhead, then Monday we drove back to Schreiber's meadow. The weather wasn't great, but it wasn't horrible, so we headed up at 11 am. A TH sign says no bridge over Rocky creek, but I'm not sure why, since there is a bridge. Snow starts on the trail before Morovitz meadow, and after the meadow is entered it is almost continuous to the lookout.
There is no bridge over Rocky creek.....
There is no bridge over Rocky creek.....
Park Butte Blue lake 069
Park Butte Blue lake 069
There was no trail of footprints to follow, but the summer route is easy enough to make out. There is one bad blowdown to negotiate on the one stretch of trail that is melted out, in the little valley that comes right after Morovitz meadow, but the microspikes let me step on it and go over, while Daisy went under. Then comes the big snowy valley, no trail or tracks, then we went up the rocky chutes to the big flat area, and not knowing about the winter route to the lookout, we went the summer route, and it wasn't good. The summer route passes above Pocket lake, and the slopes are fairly steep with a long run-out, then when we turned the last corner to head up to the lookout, the slopes were even steeper, with the run-out going over a cliff. Still, we made it, picking a good line, and being careful. Finally we made the last ridge to the lookout, which is melted out. Daisy immediately found the warmest place and relaxed in the sun.
Park Butte Blue lake 095
Park Butte Blue lake 095
Park Butte Blue lake 131
Park Butte Blue lake 131
Warm spot
Warm spot
We got there at 3 pm, four hours, not bad considering how much snow there was. We just lounged around, drinking rum with snow (sorry pup, no rum for you) and listening to music on my self-powered speakers. A helicopter buzzed the lookout while I was on the balcony, a cool thrill. Then it was sunset time. cool.gif
Buzz cut
Buzz cut
Park Butte Blue lake 164
Park Butte Blue lake 164
Park Butte Blue lake 169
Park Butte Blue lake 169
Park Butte Blue lake 189
Park Butte Blue lake 189
Park Butte Blue lake 203
Park Butte Blue lake 203
Rainier
Rainier
Nooksack fog
Nooksack fog
Sol
Sol
Park Butte Blue lake 251
Park Butte Blue lake 251
Park Butte Blue lake 270
Park Butte Blue lake 270
Sisters sunset
Sisters sunset
Oh yeah, and I made another lame movie:
We had an awesome night, the moon was huge, and it is so nice being in a FS lookout. All the pleasures of camping with the comforts of home. Of course my Casio Ravine with Verizon had full cell service, just like it did at Blue lake, and every other wilderness destination I have been to all year. My GF was glad to hear Daisy made the trip OK. We got up early for the dawn, and while not spectacular, it had a pastel loveliness that sunsets don't have.
Sisters and moon
Sisters and moon
Glacier peak dawn
Glacier peak dawn
Later the sun was just right for the moon and the Sisters.
Moon, hand held, no filters
Moon, hand held, no filters
Sisters good lighting
Sisters good lighting
That moon shot was hand held, one take. Then we bailed at 9 am, because Daisy had a vet appointment at 3 pm in Lynnwood.
Winter route
Winter route
We took the winter route this time, going the opposite way around the little bump that's before the lookout. It also had some steep slopes, but the run-outs aren't bad, and it's shorter. We got back a bit before noon, a nice little downhill jaunt. The snow was much firmer than Monday, so I was glad for the microspikes. I even had time to swing home and shower before the vet. Daisy's paws looked fine after the hike, so that's a relief. The trip turned out to be just the right amount of adventure. Daisy and I are tired today, but not beat. That feels good.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Nasty Nate

Nasty Nate
PostTue Aug 16, 2011 9:43 pm 
Wow, this brings back memories. Blue Lake was my first backpacking trip--as well as my first fish--in 1985.

Elvis
Shuffl'n

Elvis
Shuffl'n
PostTue Aug 16, 2011 10:14 pm 
Nice report Slugman. My favorite area, but I have yet to be there in snow. Or overnight at the lookout. shakehead.gif Love the pics and glad you both had a good time.

"Ill habits gather unseen degrees, as brooks make rivers, rivers run to seas." ~John Dryden My Trip List
veronika

veronika
PostTue Aug 16, 2011 10:17 pm 
You are really getting out there Sluggo... great pics. Looks like a nice trip. up.gif

Take risks not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping I may not have anyone rocking my world right now but, I don't have anyone messing it up either.
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostWed Aug 17, 2011 10:05 am 
Thanks. It felt good to do a decent effort one day, and not feel it the next. My legs are starting to come around. And Daisy had no problems either, a major relief. Elevation gain doesn't seem to bother her. For her, total mileage is the limiting factor. One thing to watch out for if you are driving to Schreiber's meadow: the early parts of FS 13 are the most heavily washboarded I have ever seen. Epic washboards, a foot high from peak to trough. You must slow down to under 5 mph for a couple short stretches, or you will become airborne. They are more like water bars than washboards. Other than that, the roads are all in fine shape.

Bandanabraids
Plodding along

Bandanabraids
Plodding along
PostWed Aug 17, 2011 12:47 pm 
Nooksack....that's a woody word. rotf.gif I also didn't know there was a winter route. Racking my brain to think of where it would be on the map and it seems like it would be really steep. Nice TR up.gif Daisy is too cute peeking around the corner!

"Do or do not. There is no try" --Yoda
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostWed Aug 17, 2011 1:03 pm 
Park Butte winter route
Park Butte winter route
Hope that map helps. My description didn't really capture the essence. With the summer route, the yellow diamond area, a slip would put one into Pocket lake, and the red flag area, a slip would send someone over a cliff. With the winter route, shorter and quicker, a slip would send someone back to the flat area they started from. The way out it is a glissade, once one gets to the point directly above the big flat area.

Bandanabraids
Plodding along

Bandanabraids
Plodding along
PostWed Aug 17, 2011 7:50 pm 
Yes! That helps a lot. That's sort of what I was thinking and tried to get a sense of it on Google Earth and didn't have time to pull up a topo before work. Thank you for mapping it. I want to get up there sometime and it's not looking like the snow is going away any time soon.

"Do or do not. There is no try" --Yoda
D. Inscho
Not bored yet...

D. Inscho
Not bored yet...
PostWed Aug 17, 2011 8:55 pm 
Sisters and moon
Sisters and moon
Beautiful! Glad you got some fine weather. Warms my heart to see Daisy still at it.

http://david-inscho.smugmug.com/ The key to a successful trip is to do the planning during work hours. -- John Muir “My most memorable hikes can be classified as 'Shortcuts that Backfired'.” --Ed Abbey
Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostWed Aug 17, 2011 9:53 pm 
Gorgeous pics Sluggo! Jack gives Daisy a big two paws up. Thanks for the TR, I wanna sleep in a lookout!

Hikingqueen

Hikingqueen
PostThu Aug 18, 2011 12:34 pm 
Beautiful sunset! biggrin.gif

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostThu Aug 18, 2011 1:05 pm 
Thanks, everyone, for the warm wishes for Daisy. She senses them. agree.gif This was my third time staying overnight at this lookout, Daisy's second. I have also spent the night twice at Hidden lake lookout (no Daisy). Each time was a memorable experience. One of the things I like about sleeping in a lookout is that you only need one good weather day out of two. I have hiked up in good weather and hiked down in bad, and up in bad weather that then turned good. One night at Park Butte there was a big storm, that was awesome. Having a lookout around me is better than waiting out the rain and wind in a tent. agree.gif

Snowdog

Snowdog
PostThu Aug 18, 2011 1:15 pm 
I love to spend the night in Lookouts too- have had the pleasure of PB , and would like to add HLL, and a few others. Does one know protocol for planning to sleep in lookout? Not carrying a tent is one of the bonuses, but what if you arrive to find it occupied? I try to negate this possibility by going mid- week, but so do others.

'we don't have time for a shortcut'
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostThu Aug 18, 2011 2:39 pm 
Park Butte is nice because the hike out is so easy and short. I was prepared to hike back out the same day. But the sign-in sheet at the TH told me no one was intending to spend the night on the mountain except for some people summiting and staying in the Railroad grade area. One time at Hidden lake lookout I shared with four guys from Canada. They didn't mind me sleeping on the floor with two of their party also on the floor. So I always bring my camping pad, and one for Daisy. If it wasn't so snowy at Park Butte, there are also great campsites at the flat area shown on my "winter route" map above. It is a little nerve-wracking hiking up, wondering if the lookout is occupied or not. When I saw the storm door was in place, I was pretty relieved. For Hidden lake, the best campsites are on the traverse above the valley, about 2,000 vertical ft into the hike. So, I would bring a tent that far, stash it, and get it on the way out. Or if the lookout is occupied, hike back down the thousand VF to the tent, and camp there. After, of course, soaking up the goodness of the lookout for as long as I could.

Burke M
over-caffeinated

Burke M
over-caffeinated
PostThu Aug 18, 2011 3:02 pm 
Those sunset pics are beautiful. up.gif