Forum Index > Trip Reports > Bald Eagle Trail from N Fk Sauk 7-20-13
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostMon Jul 22, 2013 9:35 pm 
Quotable quotes: "Here, hold my meat while I adjust this strap." "Look over there at the ridge…perfect for a camp and water. It doesn’t look like a big deal to get there!" This report is for the trail leading from the trailhead at the end of the North Fork Sauk road. The gravel road is in great condition all the way to the trailhead. Cross the bridge and walk 2.5 miles on the old Cadet Creek logging road. The first ½ mile or so is nice as road walks go; beyond that it’s not that pleasant' lined with weeds and dog-hair recovering forest and lined with mosquito-breeding ditches, but it goes fast. But I understand this would be a perfect bike trail for a picnicking family! clown.gif rolleyes.gif (just joking) As soon as you step foot from the road to honest-to-goodness trail, you immediately feel great. The farther you go, the bigger the trees – silver fir, gigantic and fragrant. Look closely for the Wilderness sign on your left – the wood matches the fir it’s nailed to, and the etched text is faint – I had to practically trace the words with my finger to know we were in the Henry M. Jackson Wilderness. BIG views of Sloan Peak appear, and of the Monte Cristos (Cadet Peak, Goblin Mtn).
Sloan Peak
Sloan Peak
The Monte Cristos from Bald Eagle trail above Curry Gap
The Monte Cristos from Bald Eagle trail above Curry Gap
Meadowy slope, Bald Eagle trail
Meadowy slope, Bald Eagle trail
Everyone expects a photo of Mt Rainier, so here it is
Everyone expects a photo of Mt Rainier, so here it is
At Curry Gap is a broad, flat acres-big meadow with creeklets chuggling through it. At this time it is solid with hellebore and blooming marsh marigolds. Absolutely stunning! From here the trail switchbacks up, up, up before it hits a more level, yet still steepish, grade. The forest gets more beautiful and the mountain views more and more in-your-face, including long waterfalls tumbling from the Monte Cristos. Lots of day hikers turn around about a mile or so from Curry Gap, and this is a fine day hike choice. We continued to a spot just below Bald Eagle Peak, where the views switch from the Monte Cristos out of the trail to north - Glacier Peak, of course. Also is Pilot Ridge, Red Pass (and the PCT), and an odd view of Indian Head. As mentioned in several other reports, there is a stubborn snow finger at Bald Eagle Peak that thwarts many a hiker and mule. At this time, it’s possible to scramble up-slope, cross where the snow is narrow, and descend back down to the trail. The hassle was not worth it to us, however 3 gents went ahead with that plan. The tread of this trail is in mid-to-fair condition; with care, a hiker would have no issues. I’m not an equestrian, but it does not look like a good horse trail any longer. It’s interesting to note the original cut bank when the trail was originally built, and to compare it with the location of the tread nowadays – over the decades, the tread has creeped outward and in some places it has migrated as far to the edge as it can possibly go – in many places, the vegetation on the edge is deceiving – there’s no terra firma under it. We saw notches in several trees that I understand have something to do with pine marten traps in the old days (I’ve seen these notches on a tree on the Quartz Creek trail, and in trees along the trail between Hope and Mig Lakes, too). There’s a weird old wooden thing nailed to a tree which identity I can’t figure out; looks like a type of a yoke. But why a yoke would be nailed parallel a tree I can’t guess. I get a bang out of weird stuff like that; it provides conversation with your hiking buddy and breaks up the monotony of cussin’ at the bugs.
wierd thing
wierd thing
There is a campsite at Curry Gap, another a bit farther next to a stream. There is a dry camp on the ridge that we dubbed Camp Dismal. We peed on it, and then pressed on. Between Camp Dismal and the Stubborn Snow Finger (SSF) mentioned above are no other places to pitch a tent but the middle of the trail, which we did, not far from SSF. But we tried to find a nice place to camp! We could see the Bowser Buttes and ridge, and for some reason we thought it’d be a good idea to go over there and find a place to camp. Jim scouted and I tagged behind. In one place, we took off our packs and ferried them up a rock-and-tree chimney. We got stopped by another giant blog of rock and I hung out while Jim checked out the route ahead. While I checked my nail polish, I could hear Jim thrashing and bashing and cussing. Jim, in the distance: “Arrrhg! sh##, sh##!” and after a moment, “Don’t worry, I’m alright!” Me: "What???" Jim: "I said, ‘I'm all right!’ " Me: “Never mind that -- does the route go!?” Later, after pitching camp on the trail in the trees, we walked to grand, open views at SSF and hung out, cooked, ate, and watched the changing light on Glacier Peak.
Glacier Peak from our dining room
Glacier Peak from our dining room
west of Glacier Peak, looks like the back of Whitehorse, but it's way too big and close to Glacier Peak to be that! Black Peak, maybe? That's what Jim said it might be!
west of Glacier Peak, looks like the back of Whitehorse, but it's way too big and close to Glacier Peak to be that! Black Peak, maybe? That's what Jim said it might be!
Were I to do this trip again, I’d wait a week for SSF to go away and get to the camp at Long John Mountain. I have not seen this camp, and guidebooks are conflicting; some say it’s dry, others mention a nearby spring. We are interested in the history of this trail. Did it originally branch off the old route at N Fk Sauk trail? Who built it, and why (we figure CCC, fire access....?)

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
chiwakum
not credible

chiwakum
not credible
PostMon Jul 22, 2013 9:53 pm 
There IS (usually) water at long john mtn camp. And it's a decent camp. But it's better to press on to blue lake (yeah it's a long day). "chuggling" ? my new favorite word! The Bald Eagle Loop (returning via Pilot Ridge) is a classic WA ridge hike. Everyone should do it at least once. I'd like to know more about the history of the trails in this area too. Curry gap seems like it has some sort of historical gravitas. One gets the feeling there are ghosts lurking. Sad, possibly vengeful ghosts.

MtnManic

MtnManic
PostMon Jul 22, 2013 10:53 pm 
Lovely...but no pics of the snow finger? Instead, peaks, peaks and more peaks<pouts> wink.gif

Backpacking: limited to one pack at a time. Cameras: limited to as many as I can carry.
JimK

JimK
PostMon Jul 22, 2013 11:16 pm 
Okay, okay... here is a shot of the SSF. Looks like someone went across below the trail.
SSF
SSF

Conrad
Meadow bagger

Conrad
Meadow bagger
PostTue Jul 23, 2013 10:04 am 
Thanks for the pic, now it reminds me, I used my $2 trowel as a poor man's ice axe to cross the SSF back in the 90's.

JimK

JimK
PostTue Jul 23, 2013 8:53 pm 
It was a fun weekend trip. Near total solitude yet again. I've seen 5 other hikers the past two weekends combined. Great views up high. Great meadows down lower. Camping on the trail was a new one for me but there is not much flat ground up there. I have a longer more detailed report with 39 annotated photos on my site here: Bald Eagle Mountain Report & Photos Here are a few of my photos:
Waterfall
Waterfall
Kyes Peak
Kyes Peak
Hillside Meadows
Hillside Meadows
Bald Eagle Mountain
Bald Eagle Mountain
Setting Sun
Setting Sun
Mt. Saul?
Mt. Saul?
Fine Scrambling Conditions
Fine Scrambling Conditions
Framed Glacier Peak
Framed Glacier Peak
Ultra Lightweight Backpacker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Jul 23, 2013 9:10 pm 
I remember when Kimmy was Quark and she used to invite OTHERS on hikes with her. This site is great for little clicks that never invite others along with them on hikes!!!

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
MtnManic

MtnManic
PostTue Jul 23, 2013 11:23 pm 
Okay - snow finger pic duly noted. This weekend I'm supposed to do a 3 day up Meander Meadow - over to Blue Lake (up and over?) - then back Cady Ridge and I've been wondering about the snow situation on the up-and-over. That is sure beautiful country up there: I've done the PCT there way back in 1994 but never managed Bald Eagle or Blue Lake.

Backpacking: limited to one pack at a time. Cameras: limited to as many as I can carry.
wolffie

wolffie
PostThu Jul 25, 2013 3:17 pm 
WTA TR 7/25/09 with Blue Lake HIgh photo Don't know if that was a comparable year, but the Blue Lake High Rte is mostly snow-free on the N side in this 2009 photo from Mt. Johnson.

Some people have better things to do with their lives than walking the dog. Some don't.
wolffie

wolffie
PostMon Jul 29, 2013 1:07 am 
Sun. 7/28/13, the "Stubborn Snow Finger" was entirely gone with only a small remnant far below. NONE of the SSF pictured above was there 8 days later. Bald Eagle Mt Trail could really use a brushing crew in places, otherwise in good shape all the way to Dishpan Gap. Somebody's been taking care of it (Backcountry Horsemen?); several big blowdown have been removed last year or early this year. Glad I did not bring my trail saw; it's clear. Removed seasonal debris (some of it large). Several water sources between Curry Gap and Bald Eagle Mt.; past that, best water is at the ravine and spring S of Long John Mtn. Between June Mt and Blue Lake High Rte., several large snowpatches will provide water for some time. There are some dwindling snowmelt water sources near Dishpan Gap, and good water flow below Wards Pass. It is getting dry up there. Valerian and lupine peaking. The new cribbing in the switchbacks near Curry Gap (~4500'?) is holding well, nice job. Blue Lake High Rte. is snow-free -- looks like no ice ax needed on the N side (we did not go there, but saw it).

Some people have better things to do with their lives than walking the dog. Some don't.
GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostMon Jul 29, 2013 5:49 am 
JimK wrote:
Hobo style! Love it. up.gif

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani