Forum Index > Trip Reports > Trap Lake, PCT-S, Stevens Pass Sep 6-7
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostTue Sep 10, 2013 9:43 pm 
I was bummed that the weather was to improve this past weekend, compared to the storms Wednesday – Friday. I'm so tired of hot weather. There was still a chance, of rain though, so there was hope. I chose Trap Lake on the PCT south of Stevens Pass to maximize the chc of rain. I also really like the Tunnel Creek trail, and with last week’s rain there was sure to be mushrooms. (Boy howdy, are there ever!) TONS of shroom action; mostly boletes, lots of amanitas and coral shrooms as well. There is also an odd colony of what look shelf fungus or turkey tails, but they’re completely round, and grow on the ground. I’ve never seen these things before, and it was certainly weird to see such a large patch of them, and only in that one spot.
mystery shroom detail
mystery shroom detail
mystery shroom detail1JPG
mystery shroom detail1JPG
The king boletes were so incredibly huge they were breaking in half under their own weight. It was cool to stop to look at an interesting array of mushrooms, then look deeper into the forest and see more – and more – and more…..mushrooms studded the slopes, and probably pushing up through the soil as I stood there. One slope was full of king boletes – they looked like dozens of turtles crawling up the slope. The whole mushroom experience was absolutely amazing.
2 kinds of schrroms
2 kinds of schrroms
amanita I think hand for scale
amanita I think hand for scale
amanita rabbit ears
amanita rabbit ears
amanitas2
amanitas2
another giganticus shroomicus
another giganticus shroomicus
big purple guy
big purple guy
Gigantus shroomicata
Gigantus shroomicata
shroom broken by its own weight
shroom broken by its own weight
pretty array
pretty array
It was raining pretty good when I got to the trailhead – I was pretty excited. Rain and fog was the order of the day. It’s always neat to run into people on rainy days that are digging the rain; today was no exception. On Saturday, I met about 11-15 or so people – most on multi-day or overnighters, and 2 women out for a dayhike along the PCT. Several expressed happiness and nearly glee about the rainy day.
foggy, rocky trail
foggy, rocky trail
Hellebore meadow
Hellebore meadow
I met 2 USFS guys on their way to Thunder Mtn Lakes for a campfire ring survey. Easy on the eyes, I kept them talking as much as I could, without making a nuisance of myself. I was interested to know if there was more evidence of old pine marten traps high in the trees; last year, we noticed deep, square cuts in the trees, about 15 feet above the tread. Later, I asked a USFS biologist about the squares, and she advised they’re from pine marten traps; high up because of snow on the ground. Sure enough, the square cuts also appear on trees along PCT-S of Hope Lake; I saw them as far south as Trap Lake (I suspect the name of the lake has something to do with pine marten trapping…?). The silver fir and mountain hemlock along this trail are tremendous. I think there’s noble fir as well, but I’m not sure. I saw 2 or 3 small-diameter Alaskan yellow-cedar trees, but only those 2 or 3. I got to Trap Lake early; around 3:30. Raining and fog, there wasn’t much for me to do; I bought my first down puffy last week, and didn’t have a synthetic jacket with me; so when I got cold, I had to dive into my tent. I ate dinner early and was in my tent for the night at about 5:30 PM, just when the rain started to pound. Luckily, I brought one my favorite Thomas Hardy novels, and I was cozy, dry, and happy all evening. Slept like a baby, too!
Trap Lake view on Saturday
Trap Lake view on Saturday
Sunday was brilliant and clear. I admit I was happy with that. Worried about the bug situation, I was slow to crawl out of my tent. But a fresh, cool wind blew the bugs away, and kept me comfy throughout the day. I walked up the PCT to Trap Pass for more views. I rather preferred the view just above the lake though, but you can’t be that close to a pass and not check it out!
Trap Lk from the PCT best
Trap Lk from the PCT best
Trail far below best
Trail far below best
Not a bad place for a walk
Not a bad place for a walk
Met some folks up there, just up from Thunder Mtn Lakes. I asked if they saw the USFS dudes; they had not. I gushed to the ladies of the group about how handsome the USFS guys are and how I chatted them up the day before. Soon the USFS guys appeared, and much to my embarrassment, it turned out the group and the USFS guys all know each other. I spent the rest of the visit trying not to look at anyone at all, while attempting a more-intelligent-conversation than usual. Luckily, my earlier identification of some Chiwaukum peaks in the east was verified by one of USFS guys, and that made me feel like less of a schmuck. I finally began my descent back to the trailhead. I took my sweet time; stopping ever so often to soak it in. Met a great gal hiking from Canada to Cascades Locks. She was on her 3rd week, and was a bit weary from the storms; she looked awesome and happy, though. Her name is Cricket, and I’m sure she’s doing a fine job on her way to the locks.
looking northish
looking northish
Met quite a few more folks on the way back; all in all, I counted roughly 25 people during the entire trip; all were really happy to be out, and all were in awe of the incredible place. I like stuff like that. No offense to my friends, but it sure was nice to do a solo trip. Cranked up my Best of Soloman Burke CD on the way home. Lord, that man could belt out a tune.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostTue Sep 10, 2013 10:05 pm 
Oh, and a side-story. Found a Kind bar wrapper on a rock. Looked like someone left it there on purpose. "Jerk," I thought as I put the wrapper in my pocket. Jeezus H. Christ, those wrappers are made of the noisiest paper! I had to keep moving the damn thing around my pockets because it kept crinkling. Finally ended up stopping, taking my pack off, and shoving the bastard deep into my pack to shut it up for a change. I was beginning to understand why someone left it on a rock. It plagued me in camp, too - kept attaching itself to things and making a racket. I eventually burned it with my lighter. Finally, it shut up. I've never eaten a Kind bar, and I probably won't just because of the stupid wrapper design. Clearly, they don't understand serenity.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
contour5

contour5
PostTue Sep 10, 2013 10:30 pm 
Nice shroom pics! I was blown away by the mushrooms on my last trip. Lots of them on the way out, but then carpets of mushrooms on the way back. I had the same experience of looking into the forest and gasping with surprise. One heck of a year for mushrooms, berries and bugs.

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostWed Sep 11, 2013 12:49 am 
Noticed an abundance of mushrooms on the Dingford Creek trail too. More than I've ever seen, and bigger.

Stella

Stella
PostWed Sep 11, 2013 7:29 am 
Kim - Great trip report. I love your humor. You're not alone in loving the change in weather. On an August trip to Thunder Mtn Lakes the husband became obsessed with the deep holes notched in many of the trail-side trees along that stretch of the PCT. I've attached two of the many pictures he took of the holes. Are these the pine marten trap holes you refer to? If so, he'll be glad to know what they are for.
Fisher trap
Fisher trap
Is this a fisher trap
Is this a fisher trap

carlb328

carlb328
PostWed Sep 11, 2013 8:09 am 
Martins are very cute and fun to watch. I hope they don't still let people trap them! I've seen a few in the north cascades, I didn't know they were around Stevens Pass as well.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostWed Sep 11, 2013 8:55 am 
Stella, yes; those are the mystery holes. I first saw them on the Quartz Creek trail (Skykomish) several years ago, but didn't ask about it. Last year, I did ask, after seeing them on the PCT between Hope and Mig Lakes. This year when my buddy Jim and I hiked the Bald Eagle Trail, we noticed the holes beginning at it's intersection with the Quartz Creek trail, so the trappers followed Quartz Creek to Bald Eagle trails in that area. Not sure how the trap is affixed to the tree; I started to do research on it, but it made me sad, thinking about the poor little martens, so I didn't finish.