Forum Index > Trip Reports > Royal Creek-Dungeness River Divide Ridge ONF/ONP, 12.28.2013
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
meck

meck
PostSun Dec 29, 2013 12:49 pm 
Trip: Royal Creek-Dungeness River Divide Ridge ONF/ONP Date Dec 28 2013 Distance: probably greater than 8 miles RT Elevation Gain: ~4500 feet Bottom Line Up Front (BLUF): Road to Upper Dungeness TH in good condition as of right now, icy in a few spots around a couple of shaded curves, but otherwise very passable. The trail to Royal Basin pretty much requires traction devices for your boots. Whole sections of trail are covered with either “glazed black ice” or 3-5” thick slabs into which even crampons would have problems digging into. Otherwise only very minor amounts of snow (appears to be < 1 foot), even in the upper basin. Since the weather looked to be pretty good and the precipitation has been so low, I figured it would be nice to visit some higher elevation territory that was new to me, in this case the divide between Royal Creek and the Dungeness River. IanB’s and FungiFan’s had posted great TRs, and having scoped out the ridge from just about everywhere else in the Buckhorn (minus Warrior, Constance and Mystery) it appeared to be a great goal for the day. Got a much later start than I’d intended, leaving the Upper Dungeness TH at 10:00 am. It was icy in places along the FS road, but not bad enough that my 2wd vehicle couldn’t cover it. The parking lot was completely iced over (slush that had been frozen solid).
Icy Road down to the TH
Icy Road down to the TH
Icy Parking Lot
Icy Parking Lot
First portion of trail to the Royal Creek Jct., along the “Dungeness Highway”, was only iced over in a few spots (looked like black ice with a light coating of needles and small rocks, felt almost like walking on non-skid).
Recent log work near the start of the trail (big blowdowns)
Recent log work near the start of the trail (big blowdowns)
Royal Creek
Royal Creek
After crossing the bridge, followed game-trails all the way up the ridge line.
Begin the climb on game trails
Begin the climb on game trails
Up and up
Up and up
Had lunch at 12:30 pm along the last portion of the ridge before it breaks out of the trees, only trace amounts of snow had been encountered to this point.
snow was not too deep, hard crust but easy to crunch through
snow was not too deep, hard crust but easy to crunch through
the first goal is in sight
the first goal is in sight
As I headed up to the unnamed points north of Petunia Peak and Goat Lake, I took way too many photos of the surrounding ridges (reconnaissance for future trips). They all looked so bare for this time of year…
Neon orange lichen on top of the slightly lower point just north of the high point)
Neon orange lichen on top of the slightly lower point just north of the high point)
Goat Lake
Goat Lake
There's the highpoint for today... (North Petunia?)
2 labels
There's the highpoint for today... (North Petunia?)
Arrived at my highpoint for the day at ~3:00 pm north west of Goat Lake, elevation a tad under 7,000’. Had a quick snack, took many more photos of the same stuff I’d already shot (it all looks so darn cool though!), albeit from a better vantage point. Fearing the route finding down to Royal Basin could be unpleasant, I left the top at ~3:20 pm.
Shelter Rock in Royal Basin from the top
Shelter Rock in Royal Basin from the top
neon green lichen (picture color does not do this justice...)
neon green lichen (picture color does not do this justice...)
Petunia Peak (foreground), Fricaba and Hal Foss in the background
2 labels
Petunia Peak (foreground), Fricaba and Hal Foss in the background
Mt. Deception and Royal Basin
3 labels
Mt. Deception and Royal Basin
The Needles (at least a portion of them)
1 label
The Needles (at least a portion of them)
Buckhorn Pass (Copper Peak, Iron Mtn in the background)
4 labels
Buckhorn Pass (Copper Peak, Iron Mtn in the background)
Marmot Pass (Boulder Ridge in the background)
1 label
Marmot Pass (Boulder Ridge in the background)
Above Marmot Pass
Above Marmot Pass
Charlia Pass
5 labels
Charlia Pass
Cloudy Peak, Warrior Peak, and Mt. Constance
3 labels
Cloudy Peak, Warrior Peak, and Mt. Constance
Graywolf
1 label
Graywolf
Graywolf & Baldy saddle
1 label
Graywolf & Baldy saddle
Tyler Peak
1 label
Tyler Peak
the northern "exit" down the Upper Dungeness drainage
2 labels
the northern "exit" down the Upper Dungeness drainage
The route finding down, while not terrible, was certainly not fun. Unlike the relatively gentle ridge on the way up (steep grade in places, but always sure footing) this was mostly a descent over scree and small boulders, sometimes covered with about 8” of snow (perfect for hiding gaps into which one’s foot/lower legs fits nicely). Got a few more pictures of Mt Deception/Needles and Royal basin with the fading light and beautiful sunset.
Sunset over Mt. Deception
Sunset over Mt. Deception
Fortunately there was enough ambient light so that I did not have to turn on the headlamp until the last 300 yards or so before I reached the lowest meadow in Royal Basin. Had to bushwhack through some low pines, partially soaked my boots while attempting to gracefully cross Royal Creek (simultaneously slipping on/breaking through thick ice around the edges), but successfully made it to the trail by 5:30 pm. Had a quick snack, put on the ice-trekkers, and began the long, dark, icy walk back out. I don’t have any good pictures, but portions of the trail, including sections that would be exceedingly hard to avoid around by bypassing along the edges, are completely iced over. In some cases it was black-ice (slick but passable if moving slowly w/ small rocks and needles embedded which provided some traction). Other sections (almost 25’ long in one portion) were filled in or covered with thick, 3-5” thick, ice (looked like the stuff you’d see in waterfalls). I would not recommend this trail in its current condition without some sort of hard/sharp ice traction devices for your boots and trekking poles for balance. Arrived back at the car by 8:15 pm. [edit 3 April 2022 to reinsert photos uploaded to another site]

*Just say NO to Rent-Seeking, don't give up the concept of "ownership"*
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Alpendave

Alpendave
PostSun Dec 29, 2013 2:17 pm 
Great TR and photos. Glad you could make it so far up in the high country so that you could share it with us. up.gif

IanB
Vegetable Belayer

IanB
Vegetable Belayer
PostMon Dec 30, 2013 10:30 am 
That is so amazing! Thanks so much for sharing your photos. up.gif

"Forget gaining a little knowledge about a lot and strive to learn a lot about a little." - Harvey Manning
reststep

reststep
PostMon Dec 30, 2013 11:23 am 
Yes, thank you for the report, photos and the update on the road. It looks like you had a great day.

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir