Forum Index > Food & Grub > Baking without twigs - suggestions?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
slabbyd

slabbyd
PostMon Mar 04, 2024 3:23 pm 
I like baking in the backcountry. Mostly a morning glory muffin cake and pizzas. its a nice change from the more standard slop. Years ago I had a Outback Oven that I ending up cutting up for some forgotten reason. More recently I've gone the NOLS route and routinely use a Fry-Bake Pan and build a twiggy fire on top. But this summer I'm headed north of the artic circle (Baffin Island) for a month where twigs are non-existent. Any recommendations for devices or methods that bake well? Not interested in the steam in a bag method, never liked the output. Weight is a real consideration as we are already carrying too much gear too far. Thanks so much.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon Mar 04, 2024 5:13 pm 
It is the only thing cottonwood is good for. It must be split into finger size pieces and completely dry (neither quick nor easy) it burns fat but that allows you to monitor heat.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Frank

Frank
PostTue Mar 05, 2024 6:59 am 
When I was on Baffin island Pond Inlet the inuit were using the moss for their fire worked fine they have been doing it for thousands of years.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostTue Mar 05, 2024 3:10 pm 
I'd check with the agency where the land is. Frank's suggestion is good, but the practice of burning precious vegetation to bake pizza and muffins might have been banned. Just something to think about.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
slabbyd

slabbyd
PostTue Mar 05, 2024 6:20 pm 
Kim Brown wrote:
I'd check with the agency where the land is. Frank's suggestion is good, but the practice of burning precious vegetation to bake pizza and muffins might have been banned. Just something to think about.
This made me laugh. Maybe I should ask exactly like that.

huron

huron
PostTue Mar 05, 2024 10:15 pm 
Just tap some of those permafrost methane bubbles and yer cookin with gas!

Anne Elk
dave allyn

dave allyn
PostThu Mar 07, 2024 8:24 pm 
Are you planning on doing all your cooking with twigs? On the assumption that you will be doing most your cooking with other fuels, maybe it would be easiest to find a way to heat your oven with the same fuel you cook every thing else with.

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostThu Mar 07, 2024 10:37 pm 
I have seen several people dry bake. It requires a big pot with a smaller pan that fits inside that is lifted off the bottom. A couple people used rocks/stones to elevate the smaller pan. The whole set-up is bulky IMO, but if you really wanna bake ... Rumi <~~~~not baked

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostFri Mar 08, 2024 8:08 pm 
Here's a computer fan grill that comes in two different sizes (80mm and 140mm) that you can bend the four screw tabs down to make a screen to keep the inner baking "pan" off the bottom of various larger pans for dry baking. Does this make sense? The outer pan w/lid must be large enough to completely contain the inner pan. Rumi EDIT: Steam baking actually takes less time than dry baking. It is done the same as dry baking just with a little water in the bottom. Steam baking will not get you a crisp crust or browning on stuff, but does bake most stuff like biscuits and muffins.

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
ZenithZephyr

ZenithZephyr
PostWed Mar 20, 2024 9:32 pm 
Check out the Backcountry Oven by MSR or the Biolite CampStove 2 Bundle. Both are lightweight and versatile options that could work well for your trip without adding too much weight to your gear.