Forum Index > Trip Reports > Thread for lazy trip reports
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSat Oct 30, 2021 10:45 pm 
Nice, I don't recall Upper Twin being turbid. Maybe from recent slide activity?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
xallas

xallas
PostSun Oct 31, 2021 8:08 pm 
Did another hike this Sunday, it was a crime not to do anything in that kind of weather! Tried going up the Sourdough via diablo lake trailhead, unfortunately had to turn around when we no longer could find a way around avy debris fields and very obviously loaded and ready to go slopes. Snow started and we put on microspikes around 4400ft, followed somebody's very deep postholes until camp area, after which no more tracks. Switched to snowshoes and we were able to get to roughly 5400ft before we run into avy slopes all over the place, snow starting from the camp was soft to the point I was postholing with my snowshoes. Need to research winter route from now on, this much snow(waist deep) is not going away anytime soon.

Cyclopath
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostSun Oct 31, 2021 8:52 pm 
xallas wrote:
Whoaaaa buddy. Yikes! Great that you got to see as much as you did. That sky looks incredibly clear. ~z

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSun Oct 31, 2021 9:09 pm 
That's way cool and makes me jealous that you got up to Twin lakes before the big snows hit Xallas...but there's no way I would go there this late, I want to go when there are bugs and fish rising to them. Just like the Mariners and probably the Seahawks, maybe next year. hmmm.gif

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
xallas

xallas
PostSun Oct 31, 2021 9:27 pm 
We actually saw a bald eagle, it might be the same bald eagle we saw at river crossing down at the Monte cristo swooping just over our heads and it somehow followed us. But It was fighting some nasty wind up there. We were not expecting it to be that bad. https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZVLyuQASJeFRX99r8

Chief Joseph
neek

neek
PostMon Nov 01, 2021 8:57 am 
Copper Ridge loop (clockwise) over the weekend. First snowshoe of the season! Camped on snow at Copper Lake. We were the only ones to venture past Hannegan Pass and could be the last party of the season. Cable car over the Chilliwack was fun; crotch-deep ford downstream not so much! Snowshoes worn above 4600'. 36 mi 9000' over 2 days.
Just beyond Hannegan Pass
Just beyond Hannegan Pass
Copper Lake
Copper Lake
Bear Creek burn
Bear Creek burn
Redoubt sunset
Redoubt sunset
Crossing the first (easiest) Chilliwack. The second one we dubbed Chilliwillywack
Crossing the first (easiest) Chilliwack. The second one we dubbed Chilliwillywack
Looking down from cable car
Looking down from cable car

Cyclopath, Anne Elk, cascadetraverser, abkoch3, Slim, reststep, Silas, NBL, hikerbiker, Tom, Route Loser, awilsondc, xallas, kitya, pjhorst  KascadeFlat
timberghost

timberghost
PostWed Nov 17, 2021 7:03 am 
nice views

RichP

RichP
PostWed Nov 24, 2021 7:15 pm 
Made the little hike up to Fuller Mountain on The North Fork Snoq today. The trail is actually very easy to follow except for close to the tippy top and I brought some tools along to do a bit of work. I cleaned up some storm debris off the trail and cut some trees that were problematic to step over. A sizable tree is down right at the start of the trail which was more than I could handle on this outing. The current log crossing over Ten Ck appears to be different from the old one based on pics I've seen. It has some new chicken wire and nails to help with footing and is located a few yards north of what appear to be the old footings. It looks more narrow but I had no trouble crossing it the wet. Nice viewpoint from the overlook near the summit. 10 bucks for the day use permit from Campbell Global.
Edit to add 11/26 I returned today with reinforcement troops and we removed the tree that was blocking the trailhead. Nice and open now. Sprung for the 60.00 annual family permit which is good through March 31 since I can bag some dumpster peaks in the area through the winter and poke around here a bit more. A steady stream of what I assume to be hunters were coming and going through the gate today given all the camo. Way more fun than shopping!

Cyclopath, Fedor, Nancyann, Fletcher, raising3hikers
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri Nov 26, 2021 11:08 pm 
North shore Oahu did some waterfall hikes mum.gif surfs up saw some nice competitions 85, ack soon frown.gif .

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Now I Fly

Now I Fly
PostThu Dec 02, 2021 7:43 pm 
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostThu Dec 02, 2021 9:25 pm 
Now I Fly wrote:
whoa, lazy.
Beautiful photos--especially that last one looking towards Mt. Stuart from Navaho Peak. You definitely picked a great day to do that hike. There's not much snow at all in the beginning. Was this trip recent? ~z

Now I Fly

Now I Fly
PostFri Dec 03, 2021 7:35 am 
zephyr wrote:
There's not much snow at all in the beginning. Was this trip recent?
This was on Monday, 11-29. Didn't see a soul, or any fresh tracks, all day. I was surprised there were no tracks at all from Navaho's summit down to the pass. Below the pass had seen a few folks in recent days/week.

RichP

RichP
PostSat Dec 11, 2021 3:42 pm 
Did a short hike up the North Fork of Asotin Creek yesterday in the Asotin Ck Wildlife Area. The road is gated about 1/2 mile before the trailhead to protect winter wildlife habitat. About 3 miles in I turned up the ridge and looped back down to the trailhead over Bracken Point. Fires ripped through here last summer and mostly just cleared some underbrush but did take some of the forest as well. Saw some bighorns while approaching Bracken Point but couldn't get a clear pic with the cell phone from a distance. They were long gone when I got up there. This area will be closed to human entry starting Dec 1st until April 1st in order to assist wildlife after the fires. Details here: https://lmtribune.com/northwest/asotin-creek-area-to-close/article_f2e4234f-7b43-5a06-90f2-862fa5635204.html

Cyclopath, Fedor, awilsondc, JimK
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostSat Dec 11, 2021 7:12 pm 
RichP wrote:
Such a great hike this looks to be. I love the perspective on this one. ~z

some names

some names
PostSat Dec 11, 2021 8:49 pm 
We remember The Knoll. It was very nice. It seems like a very attractive NW hiker place! A very prominent great lunch spot! This is late, we haven’t been posting much lately . . . we are still working on some lingering knee replacement issues. Doing well, patience is the key! Puzzlr, thanks for your post – thanks for mentioning us, it’s a reminder of how much we enjoy this hiking stuff.
On The Knoll, "Plateau" Benchmark just in front of Tish's foot
On The Knoll, "Plateau" Benchmark just in front of Tish's foot
"Plateau" Benchmark at The Knoll
"Plateau" Benchmark at The Knoll
View SW from The Knoll - Henry Mtns in far distance. Convenient parking along road to Deadhorse SP in view
View SW from The Knoll - Henry Mtns in far distance. Convenient parking along road to Deadhorse SP in view
View SE to the La Sal Mtns from The Knoll
View SE to the La Sal Mtns from The Knoll
A closer look at the La Sal Mtns from The Knoll
A closer look at the La Sal Mtns from The Knoll
Saw this at the base of The Knoll . . .
Saw this at the base of The Knoll . . .

somesignaturehere and somesignaturethere