Forum Index > Trip Reports > Thread for lazy trip reports
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostTue Sep 26, 2023 4:07 pm 

jsb, Kascadia, Now I Fly, Anne Elk, Roly Poly, NWtrax, KascadeFlat, neek, mike, jaysway, RichP, Slim  awilsondc
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Sep 27, 2023 8:23 am 
I still have to do the ones with meteors. I hate staring at a laptop. I'll update this post later with them.

Kascadia

Kascadia
PostTue Oct 03, 2023 1:40 pm 
We had planned this trip for last spring, but called an audible when torrential rains, and then a plague of mormon crickets, pushed the time frame into the heat of a Nevada summer. What luck it was to postpone this trip to fall, the aspen were otherworldly and the weather was perfect. The first major storm of the season suddenly appeared on NWS, so despite a decided preference for spending more time hiking than driving, we hit the highway for 4 days of driving and 3 days of exploring. No regrets, this was a fabulous trip. The yellow rabbitbrush was lighting up the desert scenery (and peoples' allergies, we were told).
The first day was spent acclimatizing to the altitude with a shorter hike to a stand of Bristlecones and the toe/remnant of Nevada's only glacier in the cirque of Wheeler Pk (Glacier/Bristlecone trail).
Beetles.........
The next day we headed for a more remote area of the park.............a pilgrammage. Did I mention the aspen?
Anything after this was gravy, so we decided to head for Wheeler. The cautions about wind on the ridge heading up to the summit are no joke, we were stopped in our tracks multiple times, with no recourse but to turn our backs to the wind, lean on the poles, and wait for an opportunity to walk without being blown over in the rough talus. Tenacity won the day. LOL.
The view south from the summit.
From whence we came.
After returning to the trailhead, we were treated to an amazing view of the basin floor on the drive out. What a place! Well worth the drive.
And if you're ever in Caldwell, Idaho, I can highly recommend Jack Henry coffee shop (.com), purveyors of the good stuff.

It is as though I had read a divine text, written into the world itself, not with letters but rather with essential objects, saying: Man, stretch thy reason hither, so thou mayest comprehend these things. Johannes Kepler

Eric Hansen, puzzlr, awilsondc, RichP, NWtrax, Slim, jaysway, rubywrangler, Waterman, Now I Fly, Anne Elk  meck
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostTue Oct 03, 2023 2:14 pm 
Thanks for posting this - I've never been to NV and your post led me to some interesting reading about Great Basin NP. Bristlecones are such fascinating living "dinosaurs". The coffee tip was useful, too. I recall being desperate for a decent java refill on a trip home from AZ some years ago and having to stop at a SBUX in Boise. frown.gif

"There are yahoos out there. Itís why we canít have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Dick B

Dick B
PostTue Oct 03, 2023 7:38 pm 
Kascadia wrote:
We have done overnights at Great Basin on a couple of trips thru Nevada to and from Oregon & Utah. We've driven up to the base of Wheeler Peak and taken in the old pines. Lovely area. Speaking of coffee. One time we were headed home and had left I 15, and were going to GBNP, and then on to Ely. We stopped for breakfast at a small town out in the middle of nowhere and were looking forward to our first cup of coffee. When we placed our order, we were told that they didn't serve coffee. Then it struck us that we were in Mormon country so no caffeine. I was intrigued by what I guess, is a photo of an old water tank. It looks just like the one we had in our house back in the 40s. The tank sat behind our wood cook stove, and the water was heated by a copper coil in the fire box.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSat Oct 07, 2023 8:51 am 

geyer, Waterman, jaysway, Now I Fly, Nancyann, Slim  KascadeFlat
Slim
This space for rent

Slim
This space for rent
PostSat Oct 07, 2023 11:50 am 
Larch madness up on Carne Mt.
Down to the high route
Larch Alley
Larch Alley
Basin of Gold
Basin of Gold

"Lean mean money-making-machines serving fiends"

Bowregard, awilsondc, JimK, jaysway, zimmertr, half fast, Cyclopath, Now I Fly, Nancyann  KascadeFlat
Nancyann

Nancyann
PostSat Oct 07, 2023 3:44 pm 
My brother talked me into going up to Cutthroat Pass via the PCT yesterday. His plan was to go late in the day and hike out with our headlamps to avoid the worst of the crowds and get the best lighting for larch pics. The amount of people on the trail was mind-boggling! Cars lined up for miles on both sides of Highway 20, but we were able to park close to the trailhead as some people were already leaving. It was actually a fun and interesting experience, because we met friendly folks from all over the country, and everyone had a big smile on their face. As planned, we hiked up as all the day hikers were heading back down. By the time we got to the pass, there were only a few people left, and the overnight crowd was busy trying to find somewhere to set up their tents. As the golden hour approached, the colors became magical!
Next two courtesy of my brother.
We continued on the PCT for another mile or so and savored the magical colors until the sun dropped behind the mountains.

Roly Poly, Bowregard, thename, fourteen410, awilsondc, JimK, jaysway, day_hike_mike, MistyMountainHop, zimmertr, half fast, mike, Waterman, Slim, RichP, Now I Fly  KascadeFlat  Cyclopath
jaysway

jaysway
PostSun Oct 08, 2023 8:44 pm 
Those are great photos Nancyann! My better half and I hiked Easy Pass yesterday. We parked at 8:25am and got a prime spot in the parking lot. As we were getting ready, we talked with someone who came from the east and counted at least 800 cars already parked along the highway near Rainy Pass! Easy Pass wasn't solitary, but it also did not feel crowded. I don't understand why this hike isn't more popular relative to others in the area. It requires more vertical and there are no lakes, but the views are fantastic, the larches are great, and the crowds were very manageable. We traveled cross-country to the top of the ridge overlooking the pass. We saw a scrambler work his way up Honeymoon Hump, which we agreed we want to check out in the future. Everyone was in great spirits, and we overheard one person at the pass mention that this was the most beautiful spot he had enjoyed lunch at smile.gif. Solitude is wonderful, but so is getting to share in others' joy at being in the mountains.

contour5, Bowregard, day_hike_mike, thename, fourteen410, mike, Cyclopath, awilsondc, Slim  KascadeFlat
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon Oct 09, 2023 11:37 am 

Seventy2002, Now I Fly, Bowregard, day_hike_mike, thename, Slim, jaysway, zimmertr, Sculpin  KascadeFlat
awilsondc

awilsondc
PostWed Oct 25, 2023 6:01 am 
Walkinshaw and Gray Wolf South in the Olympics
Up this
Up this
Morning light
Morning light
Walkinshaw behind
Walkinshaw behind
Behemoth
Behemoth
Scrambling
Scrambling
Up this
Up this
Extra Credit
Extra Credit
Needles from Walkinshaw
Needles from Walkinshaw
History
History
Olympus
Olympus
Cameron
Cameron
Anderson and West Peak
Anderson and West Peak
Fin
Fin
Petunia Peaks
Petunia Peaks
Descending
Descending
Almost down
Almost down
Walk off
Walk off
Back to the stream
Back to the stream
Exit
Exit

NWtrax, geyer, silence, Nancyann, meck, Now I Fly, rubywrangler, jaysway, reststep
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostWed Oct 25, 2023 6:14 am 
awilsondc wrote:
History
History
Very cool. Great photo within a photo. ~z

Nancyann
kiliki

kiliki
PostThu Oct 26, 2023 7:47 am 
Silver Falls State Park, OR, 10/24. What a gem this place is. It was a Sunday, and there were plenty of people out despite the gloomy weather, but most just visited the easiest to access falls. The trails beyond those were mostly quiet.
The trail system takes you behind the falls, which is very cool.
There are historic buildings constructed by the CCC/WPA. And free EV charging! Car charging while I hiked! If anyone is looking for lodging in the area, I would highly recommend Oregon Garden Inn, wihich is located in the 80-acre Oregon Garden. It was a terrific value, on a Sunday in fall anyway. And more free EV charging. This was a detour on the way to CA, and a good one.

NWtrax, day_hike_mike, Nancyann, rubywrangler, mike, jaysway
RichP

RichP
PostFri Nov 03, 2023 6:56 am 
Cutthroat Lakes and Bald Mountain via the Walt Bailey Trail. Road is in great shape to the TH. This was on Nov 1 before the big rain. Snow is probably washed away today.
One of many pocket meadows on the way up
One of many pocket meadows on the way up
Loo
Loo
Bald looking pointy
Bald looking pointy
Just below the scramble part
Just below the scramble part
Spada
Spada
Summit view
Summit view

Cyclopath, runup, contour5, Now I Fly, rubywrangler, zimmertr, jaysway
Now I Fly

Now I Fly
PostWed Nov 15, 2023 8:47 pm 
CCC east from Bessemer Road, walked the Middle Fork rd back to truck. Fun to see the new bridge.

Cyclopath, runup, jaysway, awilsondc