Forum Index > Trip Reports > Lake Victoria 7/18/2008-7/20
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
MLHSN
What goes here?????

MLHSN
What goes here?????
PostMon Jul 21, 2008 6:22 pm 
Lake Victoria length: 4.5 mi. one-way gain: 3650' Dan and I stepped off around 6:30 pm on Friday in the hopes of making it to Victoria by dark. The path follows an old fishermen's trail straight up the north side of Mount Cashmere. The trail appears to have once been an official Forest service trail at one point in time judging by the TH sign and signs at the lake as well as a privy near the camping site. However, the trail has long since been abandoned. Much of the area containing the trail was burned badly in 2004 and in some sections little vegetation has returned.
First Autostich, Victoria reflection
First Autostich, Victoria reflection
It is very problematic reaching the TH. Individuals must either: cross the Icicle Cr. (hopefully in the fall), go past numerous No Trespassing signs posted on the gated logging road, or bushwhack around the small parcels of private land to reach the FS land on the other side. Once at the TH, Dan and I followed an old logging road up until leaving the road on a badly maintained trail well taped for part of the way. However, the tape disappears partly up in a burn area with no vegetation and numerous game trails that make following an actual trail impossible. The route follows a spur to the North of Victoria Cr. In a previous trip we wondered to close to the creek and were eventually funneled into a mess of slide alder and boulders. This time we stayed to the spur for to long and ended up above a cliff band that didn't allow us to reach the trail which traverses the creek drainage and climbs up a boulder field to the lake. We found a rather nasty ravine in which we had to scramble down by means of branch belays back to the trail were we eventually picked the taped passage back up. Once arriving after dark, we set up camp to arise early and float the lake. We spent a leisurly afternoon lazing around the lake and enjoying the great weather. The bugs were pretty mild considering the time of year.
light headed
light headed
Below is a map with this trip's route in Blue, last years route in Red, and the proper route in yellow.
Victoria Map
Victoria Map

Chief Joseph
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon Jul 21, 2008 6:59 pm 
Well, how was the fishing?

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
MLHSN
What goes here?????

MLHSN
What goes here?????
PostMon Jul 21, 2008 8:00 pm 
biggest Marlin I ever saw.... wink.gif

Flower Sniffer
Sniffer of flowers

Flower Sniffer
Sniffer of flowers
PostMon Jul 21, 2008 9:00 pm 
That's sweet! I used to have one of those Sevlor backpack boats! Well, I still do, but it's got a hole in it from when someone who won't be named tied it to a tree in a wind storm. shakehead.gif Anyway, those pics bring back memories! Thanks!

If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there.
mntsun
Wunderer

mntsun
Wunderer
PostTue Jul 22, 2008 9:08 am 
Good work on flotation and avoiding the Cashmere Mozzies. Over the weekend Eightmile Lake was nearly bug free but Lake Caroline up to Windy Pass was one of the worser mozzie bite fests I've experienced. We did see some successful Lake Caroline fisherman (in the requisite bug netting).

Ashleynne

Ashleynne
PostMon Apr 15, 2024 11:41 pm 
I don’t suppose you will be going back this summer? I might of missed it in the thread but was wanting to know the mileage and elevation gain approximately. smile.gif

MLHSN
What goes here?????

MLHSN
What goes here?????
PostTue Apr 16, 2024 6:48 am 
Well, this was 16 years ago so my memory fades a bit. About 4-4.5 miles and 3600' gain. Last I went was after a fire and the trail had pretty much disappeared. I've heard through the grapevine that the old footpath has improved with an uptick in traffic. I don't plan on going back this summer or for a while. Going in for back fusion surgery soon and will be out of action for the summer.

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostTue Apr 16, 2024 7:13 pm 
I got 7 miles and 3,563' when I went in 2021. Make sure you look into property ownership before you go. The route wasn't very hard to follow, but the middle section of the climb is very exposed to the sun and there are dozens of down trees from the burn. It's a pretty lake.
EDIT: Removed links to avoid drama. DM me if you want them.

Ashleynne

Ashleynne
PostTue Apr 16, 2024 7:19 pm 
I don’t suppose you have any interest going back and letting me tag along with you? I have so much interest in off trails but would like the company and safety of having another with me!

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostTue Apr 16, 2024 7:43 pm 
Sure, maybe once summer comes. Where do you live approximately? Feel free to DM me, my girlfriend and I are always looking for more hiking/backpacking friends. For what it's worth though, this is about as easy as route finding gets. You can still find traces of the trail for almost all of it. I remember one spot where the route crossed a talus field that was a little tricky but that's it. I think you would be fine as long as you have the stamina and are able to route find while you're there. (Carry a map/compass or prepare a GPX file and bring a GPS enabled device with downloaded topographic data) I hyperlinked my Strava activity above, you should be able to harvest my GPX file from it. Also, while you're at it, look up Chikamin Lake and Lake Ida wink.gif EDIT: Removed links to avoid drama. DM me if you want them.

Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostWed Apr 17, 2024 7:11 am 
zimmertr wrote:
For what it's worth though, this is about as easy as route finding gets
I don't agree. Just finding the trailhead is confusing. It's tradition for me to go every cinco de mayo. Every trip I stumble around to locate the route. Bring home ticks every time. Boulder section is hazardous with snow cover. I do agree that it's a really pretty area.

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want
Worthington

Worthington
PostWed Apr 17, 2024 7:40 am 
It's a free country, but any chance a huge "pretty please" would help convince you to remove your "Lake Eye Duh" tracks and gps trails from the internet and this link? Please?

Sculpin

Sculpin
PostWed Apr 17, 2024 8:01 am 
This TR feels like it's right in the NWHikers sweet spot, a ridiculously difficult route to a really nice place.

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir
zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostWed Apr 17, 2024 8:39 am 
Bootpathguy wrote:
Just finding the trailhead is confusing
That's fair. I actually recall getting parking information from you here years ago smile.gif
Worthington wrote:
remove your "Lake Eye Duh" tracks and gps trails from the internet
Sharing route information is safety conscious. There are also plotted trails to the lake on OSM now that show up on Caltopo and all (not that they really exist). There are also six other files here on Peakbagger already. I edited my comment to break incoming search engine results for you though. (I still think we should have a members only forum index that isn't indexed by Google) Also: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Streisand_effect EDIT: Removed links to avoid drama. DM me if you want them. (Now that the Streisand Effect is at max efficacy)

Flickr | Strava

Anne Elk, mossbackmax, Sculpin, Bootpathguy
KascadeFlat

KascadeFlat
PostThu Apr 18, 2024 1:55 pm 
I'll throw my hat in the ring for a Lake Victoria trip. My regular trip partner is getting married in August so I will be partner-less in prime time this year. This area has been on my list for a long time. I can bring my route finding experience, endless patience for navigating burns, and two pack rafts (but someone else has to carry one).

For a good time call: 1-800-SLD-ALDR.

zimmertr, MLHSN, RichP, Tom