Forum Index > Trip Reports > Bornite Mine Darrington Wa.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
amdreher

amdreher
PostMon Jul 28, 2014 7:47 pm 
After a failed 1st attempt due to lack of info and sketchy directions on the internet, my buddy and I found the Bornite mine! What an incredible experience. The water in the creek was low enough to use the creek as our trail most of the way up. Once to the treeline on windy pass, large rough rock forced us into the woods to the right of the creek where we came across part of the old climbers trail. Doesnt look like anyone (even climbers) use this trail anymore. We found probably around 50% of the trail on our two attempt, but it is so overgrown the creek is the best bet. Not too far after going into the woods up top of the pass you start seeing some rock slides and tailing piles to the left of the creek. You then start seeing old pipe and wreckage going up the rocks. Find your way across to the other side of the creek, and follow all the wreckage up until you come to a flat spot with piles of lumber and an old building of some sort that collapsed. The mine is hiding in rock and brush, entrance partly collapsed but still very easy to enter. Once inside, you can easily go all 3200ft to the back where it dead ends. There is much to see in here and what a trip back into time!! The mine is at 3049 ft, and we hiked 4 miles from where we parked. Beware of rough road driving in! up.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
H. Hound

H. Hound
PostMon Jul 28, 2014 7:53 pm 
Yea, that one is a bit of a brush bash. 3200' and they didn't hit the ore body. Still a cool mine, and one of the bigger ones for around here.

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostMon Jul 28, 2014 9:07 pm 
H. Hound obviously knows what mine you're talking about. Is it this one?

H. Hound

H. Hound
PostMon Jul 28, 2014 9:15 pm 
Nope, that's the Index Bornite, and no way near as cool. This one is out of Darington, and is in the side of Liberty mountain, a little below Windy pass (south of 3 fingers).

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostThu Jun 13, 2024 8:13 pm 
Tried to get there today and ran out of time and energy a bit below the awesome waterfall, is a challenge for sure, reminding us of the Hoodoo mine. They have been working on the road up until the 8 mile creek TH but beyond that it is a 4WD-high clearance zone. We went a ways further, but it was a challenge for my friends Subaru. I was thinking that it didn't look like anyone has been up there recently and then I saw a sign stating that Jake and Bryson had been there last year with an arrow pointing the way. Then behind that we spotted a lone flag out in the woods but did not seem to lead anywhere. We tried to stay close to the waterfall but it became pretty steep and we should have headed into the woods as was mentioned in the OP. Will probably try it again, with an earlier start and hopefully better route finding. Pics to follow.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.

zimmertr, fourteen410
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostThu Jun 13, 2024 9:41 pm 

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.

zimmertr
H. Hound

H. Hound
PostFri Jun 14, 2024 6:04 am 
Yea, that's a brushy one. Fun mine tho

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostFri Jun 14, 2024 10:32 am 
Cool slabs!

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostFri Jun 14, 2024 10:47 am 
Yes, the slabs reminded me of going up Vesper...a lot of thorny bushes and one point we were off track in some wickedly thick slide alder, I think at that point we should have headed into the trees because it was pretty steep and few veggie belays. Going up it was a bit warm so I had on a short sleeved shirt, we stopped to rest and my left arm was bleeding and I had not felt anything, donned my long sleeves, gloves and glasses at that point. Hopefully Jake or someone that has been there will chime in, it looks like a really neat mine so definitely not going to give up on it. Doing some googling I was surprised that Liberty Mountain is about 3 miles nearly directly south of 3 fingers.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostFri Jun 14, 2024 11:16 am 
Anyone know if there is typically much (deep?) water in the mine?

H. Hound

H. Hound
PostFri Jun 14, 2024 11:48 am 
14 years ago it was just at the entrance. Don't remember getting wet feet. Spoiler pix If you are interested.

Jimbo, Chief Joseph
Jimbo

Jimbo
PostFri Jun 14, 2024 9:49 pm 
That was a great trip. And then winter Came. If you can get up past water fall right side it should open up. She's a bitch.

Guns only have two enemies; rust and politicians

Chief Joseph
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostFri Jun 14, 2024 10:59 pm 
Lol, yea we noticed, awesome brush bash with wicked thorns and slide alder that essentially engulfs you and lucky to escape...then there are the slippery rocks. Just what the doctor ordered!

Jake

Jake
PostSat Jun 15, 2024 6:41 am 
Different Jake, but I've been there a few times. We just climbed the waterfall to the left of the water. Yes, it's extremely steep. Much more than it appears in your picture, but it's not that bad. Better than climbing through the heavy brush on the sides. Coming down that way may be a little scary if you're afraid of high places, because it's steep and a long way down. Take a rope with you.

Chief Joseph
Zloi

Zloi
PostSat Jun 15, 2024 11:12 am 
I tried to get up to the mine last May, thinking it would be best to try before all the brush leafed out. It's true, it had not fully but was still awful. I managed to get up past Green Giant Buttress into some trees on the right side of the creek almost at the level of the first cascade but there was a huge swath of brush ahead and I decided it wasn't worth the sacrifice of skin and blood. I'm confused by the poster's (amdreher) description b/c the mine should be well below Windy Pass. In straight-line distance I probably wasn't that far from it (I went ~3 miles per GPS track) but that last mile, whew! Don't know if I'll try it again but was thinking maybe crossing the creek and staying close along the left side might be easiest. The mine's on that side anyway. The water level was sure not low then. Kudos to anyone who makes it all the way. I certainly saw no sign of a trail after sighting the Buttress.

Chief Joseph