Forum Index > Gear Talk > Which new tires for my Forester?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
RichP

RichP
PostWed Apr 23, 2014 8:36 am 
My initial impression of the Nokian WRG3's is that I made a good choice. I still haven't been off paved roads, but around town they are quiet, stable and look great. Not a cheap tire by any means at 188 bucks each, but like I said, they were a gift. I even had one put on my spare wheel. Thanks mom! I had the work done at Tire Factory on MLK in Seattle and the service and treatment were top notch.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Mtn Man
Snow addict

Mtn Man
Snow addict
PostWed May 07, 2014 8:30 am 
H. Hound wrote:
Take a look at goodyear assurance tripletred's. I bought a set on a co-worker's recommendation after hydroplaning the Outback . The Outback is well stuck to the ground now.
This is all I use now. Tried a few different kinds and nothing compares. On my 5th set with two different vehicles. Great traction in rain/mud/snow. B)

Mmmmm, backcountry...
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed May 07, 2014 9:59 am 
Real foresters wear boots.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Brucester

Brucester
PostThu Nov 26, 2015 7:10 pm 
How are the Nokian RG3's working out? And the Hakkapeliitta's anyone have these?

mike

mike
PostThu Nov 26, 2015 7:25 pm 
So what kind of chains should I get. '07 Forrester. We're driving down to AZ and back before Xmas on the east side. SLC down and 395 back. Just bought new tires last week so hope we won't need chains. And I suppose that there is no point in carrying only one set.

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostThu Nov 26, 2015 7:43 pm 
Brucester wrote:
How are the Nokian RG3's working out? And the Hakkapeliitta's anyone have these?
Do you mean WRG3? I have been running them on several different cars since about 2005. Currently on a 2014 Forester and just put them on our 2012 Impreza. A noticeable upgrade over stock n both. Good tire if you want a year round all weather tire. Don't expect to get more than 40k miles out of them unless you like to run tires to the legal limit. Not a true snow tire but close. Hakkas are arguably the best snow tire out there. You have to swap outside of winter. WRG3's are excellent on wet or dry pavement. Most dedicated snow tires are not. Good on gravel. I have never had a rock puncture but they are not magic. Driving skills matter too

friluftsliv
RichP

RichP
PostThu Nov 26, 2015 9:51 pm 
My WRG3's have worked out great so far and I've used them in all kinds of conditions. I did get a flat on a forest road this year and Tire Factory gave me a free replacement since the damage was too severe to patch. I was told it is the only snow tire that they offer a warranty on.

Brucester

Brucester
PostFri Nov 27, 2015 2:51 am 
Yes boot up, the WRG3's. Thanks, very helpful. Having a tire that would stretch into winter would be helpful since I have limited storage.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Nov 27, 2015 6:15 am 
Les Schwab Wild Country "All Terrain" are a servicable option. Does both summer and winter. The tread is bumpy enough to give good snow traction, but the rubber compound isn't the soft grippy stuff on "winter" tires that wear away very quickly on pavement. Downside is that they are significantly noisier than "highway tread" tires and mileage is a bit less. Most of the folks I know that buy the "winter" tires replace them every season. The soft rubber wears very fast on the mostly bare, wet and relatively warm pavement we have in Western WA.

Dante

Dante
PostFri Nov 27, 2015 10:26 am 
I don't think you'll be disappointed. Love my Nokian WRG3s. up.gif

Seventy2002

Seventy2002
PostFri Nov 27, 2015 11:49 am 
Brucester wrote:
And the Hakkapeliitta's anyone have these?
Ran Hakkas on my late, lamented AWD Aerostar during the winter. Unstoppable. Still have them. $100 FOB Aberdeen.

Brucester

Brucester
PostFri Nov 27, 2015 8:35 pm 
Weird size on my car something like 195/60 16.

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostFri Nov 27, 2015 10:27 pm 
Brucester wrote:
Weird size on my car something like 195/60 16.
That is a very odd profile. You might want to verify that is the factory recommended size. You also might want to consider finding a more standard size that fits. Search for a tire size comparison chart. Stay within about quarter inch diam to avoid hosing odometer /speedometer. Go wider depending on clearances especially struts. I changed size on my Element and it improved speedo accuracy and looked liked it was designed for it. Stick with small changes.

friluftsliv
Brucester

Brucester
PostSat Nov 28, 2015 1:16 am 
Les Schwab and I had a discussion about this. 205's I think is what they recommended, but it's a size up and not factory spec. It opens up a whole wide variety of tires. Anyone have a new car and have a "winter tire/wheel setup?" Did you swap over TPMS sensors to the winter rims or did you buy new "winter set up"with dedicated ones? Aftermarket TPMS sensors or dealer ones? What would happen if you ran winter tires with steel wheels without the TPMS sensors? Just an annoying tire light on all the time or worse?

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSat Nov 28, 2015 6:16 am 
Brucester wrote:
Did you swap over TPMS sensors to the winter rims
I think the there are two options -- either mount the winter tires on the factory rims or buy rims with sensors / have new sensors installed. http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2012/12/having-winter-tires-installed-just-got-more-complicated/index.htm But be sure to check where your wheels actually have sensors -- my 2010 and 2013 hondas have a TPMS system, but don't actually have any sort of air pressure sensor built into the wheel -- low tire pressure is detection is a feature of the anti-lock brake / traction control system which has sensors in the axles to monitor wheel rotation and the TPMS light comes on when one tire is low and thus rotates more rapidly during straight line driving.