Forum Index > Trip Reports > Upper Geiger Lake, Cabinet Wilderness Montana
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Treehugger5

Treehugger5
PostTue Jul 08, 2014 9:22 pm 
Since my Montana trips are not very popular here, I figured I'd start with at least a cool picture. cool.gif So my work schedule has finally eased up just a bit (from 60 hour weeks to 54) and DH and I were able to get away for a couple nights to my home away from home, the Cabs in Montana. We decided on Upper Geiger Lake by way of Fourth of July (note spelling on board) instead of the usual trail 656, because it is much less traveled. We saw no one on the actual way in or out. Although this lake is not far from my home base of Noxon, you have to drive all the way up to and then all the way back down almost from Libby. Trail is fairly easy, only one steep section. Care should be given to reading trail descriptions of when lakes are melted out if one cares about finding a dry spot to pitch a tent. Oops. dizzy.gif
Ah well. We eventually found a spot way up in the trees, where we put fir boughs underneath and squeezed the tent in. We prudently dug troughs around the tent and a good thing too, based upon snowmelt the next couple days. Lake was gorgeous. Many shrubs not leafed out and the Alpines and Hemlocks hadn't even pushed growth yet. Just showing green tip for the most part, down the lower parts. Can't help but think it is spectacular in Mid-to Late September.
Climbed up to Lost Buck Pass by following the boot prints of three day hikers we were to meet later on the trail.
Looking back down at the upper lake from the trail:
Nice view of Wanless Lake with Buck Lake way down below. I must say, I don't feel the camera on my iPhone 5s is as good as my 4s. I know, this is ridiculous, but still.
Back down the hot sweaty trail with a dip in the iciest water I've ever been in, and I feel that's saying something. DH didn't submerge like I did, and laughed at me trying to scramble out and fall back in, so like any good wife, I offer this sweet picture as payback. angel.gif
Dog clearly was on husband's side, or was embarrassed by my wimpiness regarding the water:
Mosquitoes seemed to hatch the second day. Ugh. Trail down was only 1.5 hours, including stops. Pretty, though.
Dog always seems to end up with the best spot on the drive home.
Complete TR Here

Elrond's Rocket of Rivendell~ hiker and runner extraordinaire
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
SKS

SKS
PostWed Jul 09, 2014 7:00 am 
Nice TR! I always appreciate the Montana trip reports since I grew up there. This is an area of the state I've never been in but want to visit.

Treehugger5

Treehugger5
PostWed Jul 09, 2014 7:54 am 
Where did you grow up? I have family all over the state.

glenoid

glenoid
PostWed Jul 09, 2014 9:03 am 
Thanks for the TR. I enjoy the Montana reports. Keep them up!! (Short time Eurekian..)

Treehugger5

Treehugger5
PostWed Jul 09, 2014 10:00 pm 
Great pics. By the look of the shrubs you must've gone in fall? Gorgeous. I am tempted to go back again because I suspect that what was underwater must be beautiful once dried out. Fall is my favorite time to go backpacking. We don't see very many bear there and I'm not sure if it is because of the dog. Since my dad grew up there (and I spent most of my childhood there) he is used to seeing lots of them--griz included. And he sees some still all the time. But when we have the dog we rarely see anything. Deer, occasional elk, moose...only one bear. And I don't think it saw as much as smelled or heard us and it was hauling ass as fast as it could get away. We did not climb Carney Peak. It was a little late in the day and we didn't see an obvious trail leading over there to start us off; and weren't sure about the dog. We didn't want to waste time getting partway and then discovering he couldn't make it. (not for lack of willingness on his part, but semantics of the climb) Maybe next time. Is it doable with an agile German Shepherd?

SKS

SKS
PostFri Jul 11, 2014 7:32 am 
I grew up in Wolf Point, also lived in Stanford before that. I have relatives all over the state also. My mom was from Landusky and had 7 sisters and a brother. My dad was from Lewistown and had 3 brothers so I have cousins everywhere.