Forum Index > Trip Reports > SD Wildlife Refuge w/dead fish, 09.08.14
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher

Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher
PostSun Sep 14, 2014 9:21 pm 
Just a quickie urban walk this time, due to T-storms in the mtns. & a lecture I was scheduled to attend in the evening. I've been to this place many times, as it's an easy trip down the 94 to the TH & is never busy...especially on Mondays when I usually go. The closest TH for me is the one w/the "old steel bridge" off of the 94 near Target in Rancho San Diego. There is just a simple dirt lot, & the TH signs are a bit further in, after the bridge. It was a hot morning when I went this time, & I only saw 2 other peeps.
Old steel bridge
Old steel bridge
Dusty trail
Dusty trail
Some big trees
Some big trees
Trail narrows
Trail narrows
Murky water
Murky water
Often I just walk to the 1st bridge & then turn back, but this time I explored further. I've always been curious to see the edge of Sweetwater Reservoir, which is a couple miles to the SW. Needless to say, in our drought conditions there wasn't much to see. redface.gif
Green strip
Green strip
Pipe bridge
Pipe bridge
Can't cross here
Can't cross here
Toward the green
Toward the green
The trail curved southish & approached the edge of the reservoir. I smelled something like rotting carcass. gag.gif
What's that stench?
What's that stench?
Upon closer inspection, I found the source...
Oh.
Oh.
Ironically, there were signs posted about keeping the place sanitary since it was used as drinking water supply. confused.gif
"...sanitation and purification...", yet there's dead fish in it?
"...sanitation and purification...", yet there's dead fish in it?
Well, if the water ever tastes fishy, I guess that's why. In any case, I walked a little ways further until it was evident that there wasn't going to be a much better view of the reservoir that was mostly dry in this section anyway. embarassedlaugh.gif
Where I turned back
Where I turned back
Heading back toward San Miguel
Heading back toward San Miguel
View back to the NE
View back to the NE
Dry
Dry
Shades
Shades

Home is where the hiking is. "Peaks that have come and gone four times should halt a man in his steps." -- William O. Douglas A balanced diet is a margarita in each hand.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSun Sep 14, 2014 11:16 pm 
I think you need to call the County and tell them they need to put a little more razor wire on that pipe bridge.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message