Forum Index > Pacific NW History > "Habitable" Cabins - Fisher Creek Rock Cabin
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Lookout Billerina

Lookout Billerina
PostSun Oct 19, 2014 2:12 pm 
One of the rare cabin types that took advantage of a big rock to shelter the cabin from heavy snows or whatnot, this one is being maintained by the Park Service. (I'll skip the fascinating, but similar one halfway up the Pratt River valley, east side.) I didn't make a snap of the USGS quad (Mt. Logan), but the cabin is clearly shown and labeled along Fisher Creek at 3455 feet msl. Go to (NAD27): 48.5783329, 120.9965846 It is slightly tricky in that your GPS may not work well under the heavy timber canopy, PLUS you can't see the cabin from the trail. It's on the north (other) side of the monstrous rock.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
contour5

contour5
PostSun Oct 19, 2014 2:39 pm 
Interesting construction. I wonder why they put that sloped wall under the rake at the door end...

fourteen410

fourteen410
PostMon Oct 20, 2014 1:56 pm 
now that's cool.

Voxxjin
made of hamburger

Voxxjin
made of hamburger
PostMon Oct 20, 2014 3:43 pm 
That's pretty neat.

Cry 'Havoc!' and let slip the dogs of war
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Oct 20, 2014 7:34 pm 
certainly epitomizes necessity being the mother of invention.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
seawallrunner
dilettante

seawallrunner
dilettante
PostTue Oct 21, 2014 2:02 am 
I've been there !! Quite a small trappers' cabin. It's off the trail, with the boulder between cabin and trail. Hard to find. pix: https://www.flickr.com/photos/seawallrunner/sets/72157644639256380/

Pyrites
Jimbo

Jimbo
PostTue Oct 21, 2014 9:58 am 
Looks like a bee's nest. I bet the Rock is a weather Block ? Some 60 years ago a family member stayed at a mine with a cabin built into a hill side. Took us 2 years and 4 trips to locate it. As of a few years ago it was still standing but the roof has come down. All of the inside things in place. The View must have been Awsome out the HUGE window. Trip #4 was the family member and me. Was a Magical trip, he was so touched by finding it again. I had heard stories of it in the mining world. We also found a lower tunnel and yet standing, an upper tram station with ore and tram buckets. I've lost many pictures of this fun over the years. I never backed any of it up doh.gif Now I'm trying to revisit many places and lock them in, Keep these pictures coming. And folks want to haul off things so no one can see them in Historical Lay.

Guns only have two enemies; rust and politicians
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostTue Oct 21, 2014 10:30 am 
Jimbo wrote:
And folks want to haul off things so no one can see them in Historical Lay.
Given someone with that exact intent is trolling hiking sites and has found this one (See Golden Tunnel tread), maybe it's not a good idea to post coordinates. But I think the damage has been done, unfortunately. I wonder if that guy has already made notes of all this. I'd be inclined to take details down, but they're not my trip reports.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Jimbo

Jimbo
PostTue Oct 21, 2014 12:00 pm 
Seen it, need to revisit that Golden Place next year.

Guns only have two enemies; rust and politicians
fourteen410

fourteen410
PostThu Jan 12, 2023 12:35 am 
Lookout Billerina wrote:
fascinating, but similar one halfway up the Pratt River valley, east side
Any chance anyone has more information about this one? I tried messaging OP but it's been years since they've posted here so that seems to be a dead end.

hunterofelke
Roland

hunterofelke
Roland
PostTue Jan 17, 2023 7:07 am 
I haven't heard about any structure up the Pratt River. Other than the drainage being a historic railroad logging location, I don't see why anyone would do the work to construct one. Before the Middle Fork Snoqualmie was cleaned up, there were a few structures built, but usually where the builder could get close on an open spur road. If there is one up the Pratt, the secret will probably be held tight. I recall one WTA trip report of someone who wanted to know about a miner's cabin that can be easily seen on Google Earth. Wow. The poor guy was put down so much he tried to delete his post. Secret Squirrel spots are a sore subject to some.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostWed Jan 18, 2023 9:53 am 
fourteen410 wrote:
I tried messaging OP but it's been years since they've posted here
This person has passed away.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
fourteen410

fourteen410
PostWed Jan 18, 2023 3:22 pm 
Thanks for the update Kim. I know some of her posts were controversial but I appreciated the information she had. Old maps and photos have piqued my interest in a couple of spots in the Pratt valley. I hope to check them out later this year. Edit: was that Mort, the infamous staffer of Leecher Mt. lookout? Nevermind, Mort died in August 2014 and this post was after that.

Logbear

Logbear
PostFri Jan 27, 2023 3:08 am 
Prufers cabin is accessible from the North Fork Snoqualmie. It is easy to see on google maps. When the maintained trail ends, cross the creek, and then follow the following guideline. If you can hear the creek, you're too close to the creek. If you can't hear the creek, you're too far away. Bushwhack for about 5 hours and you're there. There are some parts of the old miners trail that are still good and very easy to see, but most of it has been covered by gigantic old growth cedars that have fallen down. This is the best overnight backpack trip in the snow you can imagine. The 50 gallon barrel wood stove really heats this cabin. And a lake is about 2 hours beyond Prufer's cabin and it's full of rainbow trout.

“There is no such thing as bad weather, only inappropriate clothing.” – Sir Ranulph Fiennes
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri Jan 27, 2023 8:55 am 
Hope they come up with a vaccine for Hantaviruses soon.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn