Forum Index > Food & Grub > Matt Stone - Wind River Diet
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Jake Neiffer

Jake Neiffer
PostTue Dec 16, 2014 6:53 pm 
note: linked article contains cussing Matt made some interesting observations during his long duration hike in the Wind Rivers a number of years ago. Relates it to the current dieting and weight loss craze. Somewhat related, I perform best hiking best on highly palatable food. And lots of calories. So what I eat on a hike is different than day to day. My staples as of late are chocolate milk, bugles, and skittles. http://180degreehealth.com/the-wind-river-diet/

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostThu Dec 18, 2014 4:24 pm 
All I would ask is this: Why would anyone think that Oatmeal and Polenta is a balanced diet?? Is there someone out there recommending this as having a complete protein, carbo, and vitamin compliment? Trout would help on the protein side of things but it is no wonder to me he seriously "bonked"; and I am not a nutritionist.

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Dec 18, 2014 6:47 pm 
hey since you mentioned that..... guess it didn't click when I read the article, but I recall a couple summers ago I was experimenting with the dehydrator and cooked up a batch of a pork-tomatillo stew. my mother suggested putting it on top of polenta. I looked up the nutritional value on it, which was rather meager compared to basmati rice or pasta. I went with orzo. besides, polenta (corn meal mush, essentially) is great once in a while, but unless one was living in early 20th-century panhandle Texas and lacked any options (like my father) I don't know how you could eat it more than twice in a week. eck.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostThu Dec 18, 2014 6:49 pm 
uuhhh.. lol.gif lol.gif ...a horse drop for a pack of food is what 100$??...wow piss poor planning on the food..sounds like it was on purpose though..interesting

Jake Neiffer

Jake Neiffer
PostThu Dec 18, 2014 9:02 pm 
Ya, Matt was trying to be too self sufficient on that trip and learned a harsh lesson. I saw a post a while back when I was lurking about how people experience a large drop in appetite during high exertion while hiking. i think some highly palatable junk food can be the ticket sometimes, at least for me. here's some more up to date stuff from Matt. http://180degreehealth.com/how-many-carbohydrates-should-you-eat/

Jake Neiffer

Jake Neiffer
PostFri Dec 19, 2014 11:18 am 
here's the thread on loss of appetite https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8012247&highlight=appetite Ironically enough, I just saw the first post mentioned polenta, lol. Maybe that's the common variable here. Cyclopath- if you happen to read this, i suggest packing some Bugles on your next hiking trip. While I'm sure they're GMO, there more palatable than polenta, therefore more appropriate for hiking.

PorcupinePhobia
Murse

PorcupinePhobia
Murse
PostFri Mar 13, 2015 12:09 am 
I still can't nail down a full trail diet, but I do know I've been perfectly happy transitioning to no-cook. I feel like sweet and salty after most hard days. Like jerky.

wanderwild

wanderwild
PostMon Oct 12, 2015 3:20 pm 
I was really hoping this post was about Matt Stone the South Park co-creator and a diet that was designed to make one fart a lot.

"Whatever your mountain, climb on."