Forum Index > Food & Grub > Quaker flavors
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
yetch
pass on the right

yetch
pass on the right
PostWed May 31, 2023 1:17 pm 
This isn't for planning purposes, but just out of curiosity: which flavor do you buy the most for trips (or if you just get variety packs, which is your favorite)? Personally I gotta go with apples and cinnamon. I'm not sure if they changed it, but last time my friends and I checked, it had the highest sugar content out of all of them. Even if it doesn't impact my energy significantly, I feel the need to put as much trash into my body as I can pre-hike. Just not a trail snacking person the majority of the time.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
KascadeFlat

KascadeFlat
PostWed May 31, 2023 8:44 pm 
There is no way that regular apple cinnamon out classes Dino Eggs for the most sugar per serving. Might be time to upgrade!

For a good time call: 1-800-SLD-ALDR.

zimmertr
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed May 31, 2023 9:51 pm 
Maple and Brown Sugar comes in at 12 grams of sugar per serving vs 11grams for Apples and Cinnamon vs 0 grams for "Original" I also find Apples and Cinnamon to be the most palatable of Quaker Instant Oats. But in recent years if find that stuff to "carby" to get through to lunch without a "second breakfast" More recently I've been using not sugary granola with some home dehydrated costco triple berry mix and costco unsalted mixed nuts + 2% dried milk powder in a ziplock bag to be a breakfast that gets me through tge morning.

yetch
pass on the right

yetch
pass on the right
PostThu Jun 01, 2023 8:18 am 
That actually sounds really good! I'll have to try smile.gif

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostThu Jun 01, 2023 5:19 pm 
Maple & Brown Sugar combined with Cinnamon & Spice is my favorite. I can't eat Apples & Cinnamon anymore. I threw it up when I was like 12 years old and now that smell/taste reminds me of vomit.

mike

mike
PostThu Jun 01, 2023 6:22 pm 
Bob's Red Mill. flavor, add fruit to taste

RumiDude, huron
huron

huron
PostThu Jun 01, 2023 7:26 pm 
Flavor? I just want to get calories and coffee in me fast. Any flavor packaged ahead 50/50 with plain oatmeal to cut sugar. Add dehydrated coffee & hot water. I know, yuck! They all go to the same place, right? It's one cup to clean and I'm out of there quickly. If you want to get fancy, here's some successful recipes from Skurka's guide service.

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostThu Jun 01, 2023 10:53 pm 
When I'm going OAT MEAL, I'm going 5-6 packs ATLEAST!! Maybe 7-8!! Usually looking to get weighed down real heavy first thing by that initial meal of the day. Never head out of camp with first getting super weighed down by a LARGE meal.

mosey
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostMon Jun 05, 2023 12:06 pm 
https://trailcooking.com/breakfast/instant-oatmeal-packets/ It's really easy to make your own at home - and then you can control what goes in smile.gif You can use any sugar sub you prefer if that is your thing, and use GF oats if needed.

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostFri Jun 09, 2023 12:14 pm 
Seriously, make your own. It is not only less expensive but you can make the exact proportions of everything you want. I find the packets to be overly sweet and too small. And the texture of the packet stuff is more like paste rather than oats. I prefer the quick cook steel cut from Bob's Red Mill. They do require extra time soaking to cook, but are just sooooooo much better. I add nuts, milk powder, and some dried fruit to give it just enough sweetness. You can add in coffee like Huron suggested above, semi-sweet chocolate nibs, or almost anything. I know a couple people that add in those little FD sausage bits to theirs. I might even try the coffee add along with some dark chocolate and raisins and/or dates. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."

mike, ALW Hiker, KascadeFlat
pula58

pula58
PostFri Jun 23, 2023 3:30 pm 
We eat Muesli, the instant oats, to us, are like eating nothing. Instantly hungry, We add: 1) peanut butter powder 2) dried coconut pieces 3) almonds, cashews, sunflower seeds Basically, anything to try to pull it from being pure carbs and all sugary.

sunwildernesshike

sunwildernesshike
PostWed Jun 28, 2023 10:06 am 
I'm a huge fan of the Blueberries and Cream flavor, much tastier than the Apples and Cinnamon in my opinion. Trail snacking isn't my thing either, so I opt for flavors with enough sweetness to give me a bit of energy, but not too much. Variety packs are my go-to for sure.