Previous :: Next Topic
Jeff

Jeff
PostWed Jul 08, 2015 8:13 pm 

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Jim Dockery

Jim Dockery
PostWed Jul 08, 2015 8:42 pm 
I've been using the Tamron 18-200mm on my NEX-7 for a few years (see most of the pics I've posted here) with great results - perfect walk around lens that you don't have to switch out much since it has such a good range.

Opus
Wannabe

Opus
Wannabe
PostSun Jul 19, 2015 5:36 pm 
Still in stock when I login to Costco. Final price after the $400 rebate is $849. Pretty decent deal.

fairweather friend

fairweather friend
PostFri Aug 07, 2015 8:42 am 
Looks like the price is now $800, after $450 off. Product only shows up after you log into Costco. I have been sitting on the fence re: this camera ever since this thread got started. That first sale at Costco was a doozy ($650, I think), but $800 is still a good price for a camera that seems to get universally good reviews from the people who buy it.

Schroder

Schroder
PostFri Aug 07, 2015 8:59 am 
and still no release of the 6100 or 7000

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostFri Aug 07, 2015 5:17 pm 
On a photography podcast there is a lot of praise for the Sony Alphas but battery life is the one big negative. The solution -- on a photo shoot [hike] take a pocketful of batteries!

mtbsee

mtbsee
PostSat Oct 03, 2015 8:09 pm 
I've never had a problem with battery life, and I've owned both the 5n and A6k. But yeah, I always carry a spare, just in case.

fairweather friend

fairweather friend
PostSat Nov 28, 2015 5:09 pm 
Just a head's up for fence-sitters: Costco's current price is $699, or $550 off the MSRP of $1249. I finally bought one yesterday after watching it practically all year. Yes, the new A7000 will probably be out early next year, but I couldn't afford it anyway. Can't wait to learn the ropes of this camera and take it on some trips! Can anyone recommend a particular tutorial video they liked? One small note about buying at Costco: Sales tax is charged on the full MSRP, not the price after the manufacturer's rebate. This doesn't matter if you buy online from a state that doesn't have sales tax, but I still bought it from Costco just in case I end up with a lemon and want to return it (w/in 90 days) for a replacement.

Nobody

Nobody
PostWed Dec 02, 2015 10:45 am 
I bought the A6000 shortly after it was released. I really really like the size. It's extremely fast, but quickly changing the focus points is a little cumbersome. The kit glass is ok, but leaves plenty of room for improvement. The current Costco bundle is a great deal. I highly recommend the Wasabi Batteries. Excellent bang for the buck. You'll want two spares for sure.

Get Out and Go

Get Out and Go
PostSat Jun 18, 2016 2:53 pm 
After a year of indecision, going back and forth in my mind between the A6000 and the RX100 series, I finally picked up the 6000 down in Oregon a few weeks ago. It has been a fun learning curve and offers a LOT of room to grow, even if I never mess with the majority of the setting possibilities. I took my first crisp shots on the trip home.
DSC00001
DSC00001
DSC00006
DSC00006
Tried out the panorama capability.
DSC00011
DSC00011
I have had fun with the picture effects, too.
DSC00004
DSC00004
DSC00016
DSC00016
DSC00021
DSC00021
And of course, although not pocketable, it's still a solid lightweight choice for hiking. smile.gif
Whittier from Poe
Whittier from Poe
YouTube has been my friend, with many informative posts, providing guidance on its settings and capabilities.

"These are the places you will find me hiding'...These are the places I will always go." (Down in the Valley by The Head and The Heart) "Sometimes you're happy. Sometimes you cry. Half of me is ocean. Half of me is sky." (Thanks, Tom Petty)
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostTue Dec 20, 2016 10:45 am 
Bought the A6000 today. Great price. Also got a reduced price on the Vario T 16 - 70 mm f/4 OSS lens. Pretty light package, hopefully light enough. winksmile.gif

Living in the Anthropocene
FiveNines

FiveNines
PostWed Dec 21, 2016 9:39 pm 
wildernessed wrote:
Bought the A6000 today.
What are you replacing?

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostThu Dec 22, 2016 10:50 am 
I have been using Lumix and Sony ultra zooms for years for the reach, even smaller compacts with zoom, I have a Sony A350 and Canon EOS Rebel 2Ti and had some very fine lenses because I thought I was going to drag them along with me until I did then I abandoned them due to size and weight giving some top of the line Canon and Tamaron lenses away to a friend who is doing actual photography for money on the side with them. I did get the compact and light A6000 with Zeiss 16 - 70 OSS lens and a Sony 10 - 18 OSS lens on sale for xmas. I love the sweep panorama mode, the APS -C sensor, Bionx X processor, and more. The camera and lens weighs about 1 oz. more than my current Sony 50x, and combined less than a single lens from my other DSLR's.
A6000 with Vario T 16 - 70 mm f/4 OSS
A6000 with Vario T 16 - 70 mm f/4 OSS

Get Out and Go

Get Out and Go
PostThu Dec 22, 2016 1:59 pm 
Merry Christmas to you, Rob. I have been very happy with my A6000 - great photos, even with the kit lens. As always, I look forward to YOUR awesome 2017 destination photos. up.gif If I manage my time (or my time manages me rolleyes.gif ) I hope I can join in on some trips. Cheers, Tony

"These are the places you will find me hiding'...These are the places I will always go." (Down in the Valley by The Head and The Heart) "Sometimes you're happy. Sometimes you cry. Half of me is ocean. Half of me is sky." (Thanks, Tom Petty)
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostThu Dec 22, 2016 4:44 pm 
Get Out and Go wrote:
If I manage my time (or my time manages me rolleyes.gif ) I hope I can join in on some trips. Cheers, Tony
That would be nice your pics with the A6000 look good. I start losing momentum when college football starts in Sept., but the weather hasn't helped, more running and gym time. winksmile.gif What lens are you using ?