Forum Index > Trip Reports > The Wussification of Mailbox Peak (05/24/15)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
SouthernYokel
Scree for dinner

SouthernYokel
Scree for dinner
PostThu May 28, 2015 10:45 am 
The Angry Hiker wrote:
It was fairly quiet for a Memorial Day weekend. Aside from the occasional kid cruising by on a skateboard, I pretty much had the trail to myself for the whole hike up.
rotf.gif rotf.gif rotf.gif rotf.gif rotf.gif Did you find the hidden escalator & barista stand?

SouthernYokel ---------------------------------------- Paddle faster! I hear banjos!
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
tigermn

tigermn
PostThu May 28, 2015 12:05 pm 
What Hutch said. I did this hike in 2008 and left early. By the time I was winding down around 11AM or so the conga line was in sight... From 2008 around 11AM..
Conga line grows on descent from Mailbox peak.
Conga line grows on descent from Mailbox peak.
No solitude here at least on any kind of decent weekend day especially if you hike via a typical later nwhikers type of schedule.. Funny report though... It could mostly apply to almost any popular trail in the I-90 corridor or elsewhere...

forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostThu May 28, 2015 1:18 pm 
gee hutch THANKS for explanin that for us!! up.gif up.gif

Dustin Trails

Dustin Trails
PostThu May 28, 2015 3:38 pm 
I really appreciate the satirically angry reports. My hiking partner and I adlib WTA trip reports as we make our way up easy trails... "Thank you for the work on the new trail, but I will mention this is a rainy mountain! We couldn't see a thing. About halfway up the trail we came across a puddle on the trail and on the other side of the puddle was a downed tree. Not seeing a way around, we decided to call it a day. We hit the North Bend McDonald's feeling accomplished and were home in time to watch Game of Thrones." That being said, Mailbox has always been annoying on the weekends, but I recently did the new trail and think it still makes a pretty solid after work outing. We went on a Wednesday and were the only two out there. Although, the old trail made a good after work outing... so it does seem unnecessary.

RichardJ

RichardJ
PostThu May 28, 2015 4:27 pm 
Excellent report AH! I was on Tinkham Peak yesterday looking out towards I90 wondering where you were and if we would ever get another trip report. Made my day. I later a met tlake on nwhikers at Mirror Lake who quoted you from a Cedar Butte report and we had some laughs.

The Angry Hiker
SAR Blacklistee

The Angry Hiker
SAR Blacklistee
PostThu May 28, 2015 5:13 pm 
Hutch wrote:
But I'm still kind of perplexed what all the fuss is about. Miss the physical challenge of the old trail? It's still there for you to use.
A few people here have climbed Rainier. What if they paved a nice road up to the top, with a Starbucks and a souvenir shop? Would summiting Rainier feel the same if any lazy fat ass can get up there? Well, I'll never climb Rainier, but I was pretty proud of climbing Mailbox the first time. Even with the crowds back then, you knew every single person up there worked for it. Now it's just Mount Si II, and everyone at the top looks like they just wandered out of an ad for erectile dysfunction.
Hutch wrote:
Mt. Si is basically at capacity - developing other trailheads for the masses will help redistribute pressure.
Actually, we should be encouraging the crowds to stay on Mount Si. Let them have it. They can pound it into the ground for all I care. The more pressure Si takes for the team, the less wads of toilet paper I have to look at on every other I-90 hike.

Gimpilator
infinity/21M

Gimpilator
infinity/21M
PostThu May 28, 2015 5:14 pm 
Thank you!!! rotf.gif I really needed that. I recall hearing that there was a project to make a new trail and thinking, "No way! Any peak but that one." I have not been back to see it, but I did drive past the parking area one weekend and it was jammed. Seeing your photos of all those bridges is rather disappointing... Looking forward to your next report. smile.gif

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostThu May 28, 2015 5:26 pm 
The bridges are down pretty low, probably lower than where the old trail leaves the road. They are however about a mile up the new trail, it is very flat.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostThu May 28, 2015 6:12 pm 
I enjoyed Mailbox as a pretty quiet sort of off-season stairstepper back before folks were bragging about it on trip reports on the web, on social media sites like facebook, etc. Most days we saw pretty much no-one. Damn interwebz ruined it! Why, when I was a kid we had to walk ten miles to school in the snow... I can only imagine how hikers reacted when the put an auto road and railroad up Mt Washington in New Hampshire!
But it's actually a sort of surreal, disorienting, and festive sort of place to arrive at in high season in the middle of a weeklong backpack.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostThu May 28, 2015 6:25 pm 
They had the Cog Railroad before the road, and they left a bit of rock on the true summit just like Mailbox so folks could pose at the top.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Graveler

Graveler
PostThu May 28, 2015 8:31 pm 
SAR was up there twice over the 3 day saving the people.......

cartman

cartman
PostThu May 28, 2015 10:59 pm 
The Angry Hiker wrote:
But that was back before Mailbox Peak was emasculated by the WTA in it’s endless quest to turn every hike into Mount Frigging Si.
The Angry Hiker wrote:
it was the WTA that raised it's tiny rat claws and volunteered to do the dirty deed.
M.A.D. = Misappropriated Apostrophe Dysfunction
The Angry Hiker wrote:
it's a pain in the ass when it's bare.
That's better. -Your Friendly NWHikers Editorial Staff

Kazan

Kazan
PostFri May 29, 2015 12:08 am 
Get over yourself. Seriously. At first I thought this was meant to be satire, but then I realized that you're probably serious. We don't need hiking hipsters. We don't need elitist jerks. Other people using the new easier trail does not cancel out your accomplishment of using the harder trail.

crazyhiker

crazyhiker
PostFri May 29, 2015 7:21 am 
^^There's always at least one.... Great trip report! I've missed these.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostFri May 29, 2015 7:35 am 
Kazan's first post is to take AH seriously? Ha haha! Then he talks about someone being a jerk? Ha ha ha! What a clueless jackass. He will fit in well here.