Forum Index > Trip Reports > Fisher/Arriva/Indecision/Natal 7/17-19/2015
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Stefan

Stefan
PostFri Jul 24, 2015 10:02 am 
Went out with the Helmingers this past weekend and did some peaks I have always thought….”Will I ever get to these someday?” Well, we did. Friday. The Helmingers had left earlier in the day. I had a project to complete that was to be Fedexed that day. After the project was completed I found myself eventually at the Easy Pass trailhead at 4:00pm. I never took off my pack and I arrived at Silent Lakes at 8:30pm meeting the Helmingers there. I was giddy coming down Easy Pass and up Fisher basin--so damn fricken beautiful! Going up to Silent Lakes, you are a fool if you take the gully. Instead, just go about 150-200 yards to the east and go up the very first ramp. Then wind your way up following the goat/climbers path that is in there. Silent Lakes. Wowza. Beautiful! Saturday. We woke up and scrambled Fisher Peak. The NWW arm is class 3 with one 4th class section of about 20 feet. We used a handline coming down for that section. Gorgeous on top….a bit windy at the time. Still amazing area. I can’t believe I am here! 3 hours round trip. Next up we traversed to the south section of Arriva. We went down/and up and then around some grassy sloping area below all the notches above Silent Lakes. We dropped off our packs around 6800 feet south of Arriva and then went up. We made it to the 7800 notch on the SW arm and took all class 3 sections up to the top with probably one minor class 4 move. Some switchbacks need to be made here and there. A new register has been placed there. Great to see! Back down to our packs. From here we traversed over to the 6920+ col on the SW arm of Arriva. We wanted to get to the 5920+ basin west of Peak 7945 (Indecision) and north of Peak 7800 (Natal). The main gully down the 6920+ col is a no go. I did a cursory looksy just south of the col into another really really crappy gully. Not good. We eventually went down just north of the main gully following trees. It was steep, however, we were able to weave our way through trees and rock outcroppings only doing one minor class 3 section with our overnight packs. Most the way we were not that far off from the main gully coming off of the col. I think we dropped down to 5800 or 5700 feet and then had to work our way back up through brush and trees toward the 5920+ basin. We eventually made it to the 5920+ basin under great relief. Now…we still had some time…..so we took off to do Peak 7945 (Indecision). The way up on the SW arm only gets up to class 3. We never experienced any class 4 and saw no register. Muelfire peak across the chasm “looked” equal, but in reality, is lower. From the basin it took us 3.5 hours round trip to do Indecision….and a 13 hour day to do Fisher/Arriva/Indecision from beginning to end. Sunday morning we woke up and not having much information (because I could not find it) on doing the NW arm of peak 7800 (Natal). The 6880+ col is easily attainable from the 5920+ basin and then it is class 3 for a long section up high on the NW arm of Natal. After the class 3 section you will come to 4 rock climbing pitches. Each pitch is separated by some class 3 scrambling. The first two rock pitches are low class 5. The third pitch you will come to a wall. Two cracks are there…which I know I could not do. Another crack exists to the south next to a large boulder, but I did not think it had good handholds…maybe someone will disagree. Slightly around to the left is an easier crack, and more exposed on the north wall—this is the one we took. A 5.7 move is in there with two small rock chockstones as you ascend for sling placements. This is also the most difficult pitch. The fourth pitch to the summit has a 5.6 move in there and not as exposed as the third pitch. No register on top, and literally hundreds of flying ants. Not much time spent on top. We reversed the process in 4 rappels. We had a single 60 meter rope, and I think a single 50 meter rope would be sufficient even with the rappels. Back at the col, I said good bye to the Helmingers as they were going to spend another day or two out in this wonderful place. They were going for Peak 7112 just north for the rest of the day, whilst I was to head out to the Easy Pass trailhead. Some beta from 5920+ basin to Fisher Creek: From 5920+ basin I went slightly north and down following an animal path. The animal path exited on the north side of the trees into the basin at 5800 feet. I followed the meadows down enjoying the flowers. I stayed close to the stream on the east side. Some brush encountered in small sections. Not too intense. Around 5200 feet where the stream stops being “flat” and then starts going downhill again I noticed the brush intensifying on the east side of the stream. So I switched to the west side of the stream. This went well until around 4900 feet where the brush intensified on the west side of the stream. Here is where I switched back to the east side of the stream and then went down and almost in a north direction towards Fisher creek. The brush became better and I crossed Fisher creek around 4700 feet and back up to the trail. Grind it out up to Easy Pass. 6 hours from the 5920+ basin all the way to the Easy Pass trailhead. What a fabulouso weekend to an area I never knew when I would get to!

Art is an adventure.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostFri Jul 24, 2015 10:14 am 
That's some rugged country in there, but above the brush at least. I always enjoy a few minutes poring over the annotated map you include with your reports.

Jetlag

Jetlag
PostFri Jul 24, 2015 10:16 am 
Very helpful description, photos and map! I know I'll get there some time soon . . . been ogling that area for several years now. Glad there were still a few flowers. Any bear sign?

Distel32

Distel32
PostFri Jul 24, 2015 12:33 pm 
up.gif

raising3hikers

raising3hikers
PostFri Jul 24, 2015 5:17 pm 
very nice up.gif thanks for posting. silent lakes are near the top of my favorite areas

Eric Eames
chiwakum
not credible

chiwakum
not credible
PostFri Jul 24, 2015 5:48 pm 
Ahhh, so that's who cruised right by my camp site at Fisher basin around dinner time. You seemed pretty focused on hitting the ramp up to the lakes so I decided not to interrupt your stride with a shout out. I enjoyed observing the line you took. Much safer and smarter than my route.

cascadetraverser

cascadetraverser
PostThu Jul 30, 2015 11:35 am 
Stefan: Cool report; I remember scouting that gully and finding/crossing at a very unpleasant point. There was a bunch of snow and the dirt part short for us. We were traversing at the time over to Thunder creek,but remember looking up at Nadal and Indecision as we headed up to Spectacular ridge and thinking how impressive they looked and how rare they must get climbed.... Great trip!!

Jetlag

Jetlag
PostThu Aug 13, 2015 11:10 am 
Excellent timely report! We used the details for a five day trip with two nights at Silent Lakes. Your comments on the beauty of the route and its flowers were right on target. I'm so glad I read this TR and took the beautiful blueberry, slabby route up to Silent Lakes instead of that fools' gully. In addition to all the heavily antlered bucks and good-sized bear we saw, highlights of the wildlife show included a dancing pygmy owl at camp and a couple dozen endangered Silverspot butterflies.

ree

ree
PostThu Aug 13, 2015 3:30 pm 
Hope you write a trip report, Jetlag. Hey Stefan - nice trip and pics up.gif

Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostThu Aug 13, 2015 7:10 pm 
Good stuff! up.gif I hope you can add some pictures/details Jetlag.