Forum Index > Trip Reports > Mt. Pilchuck repairs & Ski 2/2/16
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Jim Dockery

Jim Dockery
PostWed Feb 03, 2016 10:51 am 
After my recon last week to asses the damage to the lookout I felt compelled to return and fix the door latch so that hopefully the door can be secured against the elements this winter (if users take the time to close & latch it!). I enlisted my friend John, who is another Pilchuck regular (he can see people at the lookout with a telescope from his house on Burn Rd.). A call to the FS ensured that they wouldn't lock the gate until later in the week after we were done. I parked at the same spot, about half way up the road, although I likely could have driven my Subaru further, but decided it wasn't worth it. We were surprised at the depth and quality of the new snow that enabled good skinning right from the car, and let us zoom down at the end of the day. Broken clouds kept the temps down, so the snow stayed nice and cold all day and we started thinking we might find some good skiing. When first contemplating this mission we thought it would be more work than play, but in the end it turned out to be a wonderful day in a winter wonderland of snow covered trees and sparkling powder.
Three Fingers from the trailhead
Three Fingers from the trailhead
Once we got above the forest I was so taken with the gorgeous light and views that I had to keep stopping to take pictures. A side benefit of this was that John broke trail all the way to the lookout wink.gif , although I partially paid him back when I bootpacked up the steep slopes back up onto Larrison Ridge after we skied The Gunsight.
John leads the way
John leads the way
NE
NE
Glacier Pk.
Glacier Pk.
West from saddle
West from saddle
We spent about an hour in the hut eating lunch (again I owed John for half his excellent sandwich since my feedbag inadvertently got left under stuff in the trunk of my car) and repairing the door. We reattached the bottom hinge and reconstructed the latch set-up.
hinge work
hinge work
New latch set-up
New latch set-up
Larrison ridge lookin' good!
Larrison ridge lookin' good!
John got first tracks down The Gunsight in wonderful calf-deep powder over a perfect base. He said it might have been his best Gunsight run ever, and he's done a few. Everything looked well bonded with little avy danger.
Gunsight Powder
Gunsight Powder
I plowed a bootpack up knee to thigh deep snow to the crest of Larrison Ridge. I was sad to see we lost the beautiful light that had been illuminating it when we were at the hut, but it was still a special treat to swoop down making first (and only) tracks in the pristine powder.
Skiing Larrison Ridge
Skiing Larrison Ridge
Skiing Larrison Ridge
Skiing Larrison Ridge
Skiing Larrison Ridge
Skiing Larrison Ridge
powder paradise
powder paradise
cresting a rollover
cresting a rollover
Traverse to The Onion Peel cliff
Traverse to The Onion Peel cliff
As we climbed back out of the gully I again left John the task of breaking trail as I marveled at the light on Liberty mountain, then looking back out over the sound.
Liberty Mt.
Liberty Mt.
Afternoon light
Afternoon light
Every bit of the ski down was easy cruising in the soft forgiving snow. The next thing we knew we were back on the road cruising down.
Road Ski
Road Ski
About a mile from the trailhead we came upon a young man and two young women who were trying out their new Subaru in the snow. They got stuck trying to turn around and were attempting to dig out with barehands (dressed in street clothes and shoes). We got out our shovels then pushed them back into the track where they could carefully back up to a better turn around. I'm not sure they would have gotten out on their own and would have been looking at quite an adventure walking many miles back down the snow covered road in the dark to the Mt. Loop Highway eek.gif The Mountain Gods smiled on us today - what started as a bit of civic duty turned into a great day of views and fantastic skiing.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Feb 03, 2016 11:02 am 
Good stewardship! Nice looking skiing

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot
PostWed Feb 03, 2016 11:02 am 
Jim Dockery wrote:
Once we got above the forest I was so taken with the gorgeous light and views that I had to keep stopping to take pictures. A side benefit of this was that John broke trail all the way to the lookout wink.gif , although I partially paid him back when I bootpacked up the steep slopes back up onto Larrison Ridge after we skied The Gunsight.
Sounds like a good plan all around. Great photos, especially these:
Liberty Mt.
Liberty Mt.
Afternoon light
Afternoon light
Thank you for your repair work.

“As beacons mountains burned at evening.” J.R.R. Tolkien
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostWed Feb 03, 2016 11:56 am 
Ditto on the thanks for your stewardship. Great photos, looks like a wonderful day up there. I hadn't seen the name Larrison Ridge before, but I've certainly gazed at it many times. There's cool terrain around Pilchuck.

I'm Pysht

I'm Pysht
PostWed Feb 03, 2016 12:13 pm 
Nice piece of wood you used there.

NorDub

NorDub
PostWed Feb 03, 2016 1:37 pm 
Wow, those are incredible photos. Great lighting!

MattP.

MattP.
PostWed Feb 03, 2016 2:10 pm 
Gorgeous photos! And thanks for the repair work! up.gif

GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostWed Feb 03, 2016 2:24 pm 
The first three photos are my favorites. Such beautifully soft light, and so nicely captured. up.gif

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
Rigafari

Rigafari
PostWed Feb 03, 2016 2:44 pm 
Nice pics up.gif

Kenji

Kenji
PostWed Feb 03, 2016 2:48 pm 
Another thank you for your repair work. Nice pics, love the last one:
Jim Dockery wrote:
Road Ski
Road Ski

AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostWed Feb 03, 2016 3:42 pm 
Good karma there. One good turn deserves another, eh? Sigh, I wish there were more places where roads could be skied in the conditions you experienced. Without getting chewed up and ground up by various other forms of transport. I'd almost forgotten how skiing like that has its own lovely, mellow pleasures. You caught it just right.

SergioNapelo

SergioNapelo
PostWed Feb 03, 2016 4:39 pm 
up.gif up.gif up.gif Thank you!

"I will lift up my eyes to the mountains. From where shall my help come. My help comes from the LORD, who made heaven and earth!" - David, King of Israel 1,000 BC
iron

iron
PostWed Feb 03, 2016 5:46 pm 
Kenji wrote:
Another thank you for your repair work. Nice pics, love the last one:
Jim Dockery wrote:
Road Ski
Road Ski
ditto. this is a calendar pic.

Jim Dockery

Jim Dockery
PostWed Feb 03, 2016 6:51 pm 
Thanks for the comments everyone. I find it interesting how many people like the road skiing shot (as do I). John thought it was funny that I wanted to stop that last time to snap him gliding down into the sunset. I agree with AlpineRose that skiing down a road like this (in good conditions) is great fun - like riding a magic carpet. When we hit the car I told John I'd feel sorry for snowshoers who had to slog down all that way, but he wisely said that they would be happy too after a nice day on the mountain, and we all enjoy our varied winter recreations in different ways.

iron

iron
PostWed Feb 03, 2016 6:57 pm 
Jim Dockery wrote:
I told John I'd feel sorry for snowshoers who had to slog down all that way, but he wisely said that they would be happy too after a nice day on the mountain, and we all enjoy our varied winter recreations in different ways.
would a splitboarder make it down that flat grade? smile.gif