Forum Index > Trip Reports > Annual Mount Rainier weekend 1/30/16-1/31/16
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
the Zachster

the Zachster
PostWed Feb 03, 2016 9:21 pm 
I've lost track of the exact number, but it's been something like 25 years that we've been going to Mount Rainier for my birthday weekend. The stated goal has always been Camp Muir and of course, the odds are stacked against us from the start since the road usually doesn't even open! But we have made it about 4 or 5 times. The thing that keeps us going, though, is the fact that we just love being in the Park. It's our home away from home. And it's a pleasure wandering up to Muir, enjoying the views (or optimistically hoping for them), walking in the woods or hanging out in front of the fireplace at Longmire. This weekend we had no expectation of making it to Muir given the weather reports so we just did some casual snowshoeing around Paradise and some walking around Longmire. As we drove in on Friday night there were already a couple of inches of snow on the road. We were grinning, knowing that there would be even more in the morning. It has been SO good to see so much snow this year. On Saturday, we awoke to the news that the road wouldn't be opening until at least noon as it had snowed 2 feet.
So after a leisurely breakfast, we wandered down the road to the Twin Firs loop.
Then we wandered around behind Longmire and across the Nisqually.
Finally, the road opened around 12:30 and we headed up to Paradise. The rangers were checking for chains on both days ( must have in the car even with AWD). With only a few hours left to play around, we headed up towards Panorama Point. Initially we were making our tracks in deep fluffy snow but soon found our way to some tracks.
It was mostly cloudy and foggy but there was about 30 minutes of a teasing game of peak-a-boo with the Mountain...now you see it now you don't!
Finally the fog and clouds took over..
So down we went.
Sunday was supposed to be "the better day" and in fact there was very little snow and the road actually opened at 9AM. The road was extremely icy and we saw lots of sedans being turned around by the rangers. And lots of other folks trying to figure out how to put on chains... HINT: It's ALOT easier to practice at home where it's warm and dry... The parking lot was surprisingly empty (only one row full) when we got there. We opted for a trip up to Mazama Ridge, hoping for some views.
As we headed down the road, this was the only "view" that we would have all day...
Nevertheless, it was fun working our way up to the ridge. Not cold, not windy. Quite mellow actually.
Through the fog we could see a familiar feature in the distance...a prominence that we have named The Birthday Bump (for some reason we always end up going there!).
So we decided to go up it once again, before losing all visibility. Silly me, I decided that we would go up the closer, short and steep direct route instead of the gentle easy slopes. Not a big deal except that it was hard packed ice under the trees. Not my favorite thing on snowshoes... But, it did add a little excitement to the trip!
In keeping with the birthday theme, I thought these pine cone things kind of looked like candles on an ice cream cake...
Here are the fantastic views of the Mountain from our high point...
And a few more shots before heading back down...
Another fun weekend at my Happy Place! winksmile.gif

"May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am"
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostWed Feb 03, 2016 10:42 pm 
the Zachster wrote:
Looks like a fine tradition worth continuing. I really like this photo, among many great ones there.

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot
PostWed Feb 03, 2016 10:57 pm 
the Zachster wrote:
It was mostly cloudy and foggy but there was about 30 minutes of a teasing game of peak-a-boo with the Mountain...now you see it now you don't!
I sort if like it when the mountain does that, instead of just being there all the time.

“As beacons mountains burned at evening.” J.R.R. Tolkien
Snowdog

Snowdog
PostThu Feb 04, 2016 10:08 am 
I thought of you guys last weekend, hoping the weather wasn't too dreadful…… and it wasn't! up.gif

'we don't have time for a shortcut'
bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostFri Feb 05, 2016 11:07 am 
happy birthday and what a wonderful place to spend your birthday, again up.gif

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
hikerman

hikerman
PostFri Feb 05, 2016 5:57 pm 
up.gif up.gif