Forum Index > Support & Feedback > North Mountain Lookout Restoration
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
rwknight

rwknight
PostTue Mar 08, 2016 4:40 pm 
Greetings everyone from Darrington, Washington! Our local community is engaged in an all-volunteer effort to restore the North Mountain Fire Lookout above Darrington. We're very excited about this project that will preserve a portion of Washington State history and bring visitors to the beautiful Stillaguamish Valley. Yesterday, we launched an Indiegogo crowdfunding campaign to raise funds so we can finish the restoration this summer and have it ready for nightly rental by summer 2017! I am new to this forum and apologize if this post is inappropriate, but we really need to get the word out to local outdoor enthusiasts. Please visit our page: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/restore-the-north-mountain-lookout--2/x/7500211#/ We are also on Facebook, so please "like" our page (Restore the North Mountain Lookout) if so inclined. Rick Knight Friends of North Mountain Thanks so much!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostTue Mar 08, 2016 4:48 pm 
Great cause, gave a little. Do you think the road will continue to be driveable going forward? The ownership of the land it crosses looks complicated.

rwknight

rwknight
PostTue Mar 08, 2016 5:36 pm 
Thank you...every dollar helps! The road is paved for the first few miles and then turns into a logging road that is still occasionally used by the logging industry. I believe the road is mostly on DNR land and extreme washouts will certainly be a problem if they occur, but generally the road is easily accessible in the summer with a two-wheel drive car. Evergreen Mountain Bike Alliance received a very large grant to install 22 miles of single-track mountain bike trails this summer, so they will also be using the road and my guess is that the road maintenance will be shared, but I'm not exactly sure how that will play out at this time. When the Whitehorse Trail (Arlington to Darrington rails to trails) is completed in late 2017, it will connect with the road to the lookout and the bike park, so it will be quite a playground! Here's the link to the bike park info: https://www.evergreenmtb.org/trails/darrington-north-mountain