Forum Index > Trip Reports > Billy Goat Pass - Burch Peak - Two Bit Creek Loop (Pasayten)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostTue Jun 07, 2016 5:11 pm 
Location : North of Winthrop at the West end of Eightmile Rd. / Billy Goat TH Map : GTM - Billy Goat Mountain, TOPO Stats : 14.7 mi, 7030' loop
Billy Goat - Eightmile Ridge - Two Bit Creek Loop
Billy Goat - Eightmile Ridge - Two Bit Creek Loop
After having done Burch, Obstruction, and Billy Goat in previous years and looking at the ridge leading out North of Point 7482' we had long thought that it would be nice to work that and Point 8055' into a trip. After looking at maps long enough I came up with what on paper seemed to be a workable loop circling the Drake Creek drainage from high above coming in via Billy Goat Pass to Burch Peak and out dropping down Two Bit Creek drainage near Drake Creek and back up to the Pass and the TH. It worked, but as an overnighter and current conditions it was a worker. Steve and I were on the trail around 0800 well aware that both days were expected to be among the hottest of the year so far. I was pre-hydrated and stocked with energy gel, chews, bars, and electrolyte tablets as we headed up the Billy Goat Trail (the only vehicle in the area). We hit the first snow in the trail at 5800', with near continuous snow at 6000', and many drifted feet of well consolidated snow at the Pass. We followed the direction of the Eightmile / Burch Peak trail until we were above tree line after which most of the trail was open up to around 7400' then we had snow in the trees, saddles, and on the summit of Burch where we had lunch and great views of the area. From there on we had snow you could work on or around on all the high points and saddles until we finally made camp in a saddle at 7540' short of our goal but given the extreme heat and terrain a full 10-12 hours work with a backpack on. We melted snow for water all day using the heat of the sun then melted 6 liters at camp with the aid of a jetboil. After a Probar supper and a liter of electrolyte laced water I crashed and never woke up until 0400 the next morning.
Billy Goat Trail
Billy Goat Trail
Nearing Billy Goat Pass at 6600'
Nearing Billy Goat Pass at 6600'
Burch Mtn. / Eightmile Ridge Trail from Billy Goat Pass
Burch Mtn. / Eightmile Ridge Trail from Billy Goat Pass
Lots of snow in the saddle.
Lots of snow in the saddle.
Burch Peak 7782'
Burch Peak 7782'
From Burch looking at our destination across Drake Creek drainage.
From Burch looking at our destination across Drake Creek drainage.
Three Pinnacles
Three Pinnacles
7482'
7482'
On the North ridge of 7482, some maps have the entire ridge listed as part of Eightmile Ridge.
On the North ridge of 7482, some maps have the entire ridge listed as part of Eightmile Ridge.
Unnamed lakes just East of the ridge.
Unnamed lakes just East of the ridge.
Big Craggy, North Craggy, West Craggy
Big Craggy, North Craggy, West Craggy
Steve high on GU leads the assault on 8055'
Steve high on GU leads the assault on 8055'
Heading for 8055'
Heading for 8055'
Peepsight
Peepsight
Silver Star
Silver Star
Steve strategically set his tent up for views.
Steve strategically set his tent up for views.
So I had coffee and watched the sun come up, Steve slept in for a little longer. I was thinking the hardest part of the trip was behind us today we might be able to get up to cruising speed on the downhill and some trail too. We dropped down into the head of Two Bit Creek which was full of snow and crossed a small stream in a flat basin which was really nice between 7100-7200' this would be a sweet area to camp in. We then traversed along the side of the ridge until we hit the crest as it dropped. The ridge is steep, but manageable, Two Bit Creek eventually becomes a raging torrent in a deep narrow drainage. We eventually hit a nice, dry trail (Larch Creek) but soon realized we would have to ford Two Bit Creek, which we did, then Drake Creek, after which we thought we would gain some momentum, but the down fall and trail erosion was pretty obstructive and it was stop and go every minute or two until we hit the snow and it is all snow as you approach the Pass, it was well consolidated for the most part even in the high temps. We saw a wet slide off the face of Billy Goat and stopped for lunch just on the South side of the Pass. There was snow back down to 5800' with occasional blow down all the way back to the TH. That was our 8 hour day. The terrain and views were outstanding along with the solitude and company, the beta gathered will be useful for future trips. Tough haul, but it's wilderness. I think I consumed 6 GU's, 4 Energy chew packets, 3 Cliff Bars, and a tube of Nunn electrolyte tablets. The Billy Goat Trail is a mess, but looking down at Eightmile Pass that was snow free I don't know about blow down.
Early A.M. at camp in a saddle at 7540'
Early A.M. at camp in a saddle at 7540'
Looking back at 7987'
Looking back at 7987'
West Craggy in the morning.
West Craggy in the morning.
Point 8062' and a ridge route out to Fool Hen and Fox Lakes.
Point 8062' and a ridge route out to Fool Hen and Fox Lakes.
Head of Two Bit Creek where we dropped down off the main ridge down to the Larch Creek Trail (205) then back towards Billy Goat Pass from the North.
Head of Two Bit Creek where we dropped down off the main ridge down to the Larch Creek Trail (205) then back towards Billy Goat Pass from the North.
Upper Two Bit Creek
Upper Two Bit Creek
Drake Creek Ford
Drake Creek Ford
Slide off Billy Goat.
Slide off Billy Goat.
Cathedral - Ampitheater - Andrews - Peepsight and smokey haze
Cathedral - Ampitheater - Andrews - Peepsight and smokey haze
Craggies and Eightmile
Craggies and Eightmile
Eightmile
Eightmile
Isabella Ridge Peaks and more
Isabella Ridge Peaks and more
Route options for Eightmile
Route options for Eightmile
Views with morning joe.
Views with morning joe.
Views as we drop into Two Bit Creek Drainage
Views as we drop into Two Bit Creek Drainage
Views off 7836'
Views off 7836'
Pasayten Peaks
Pasayten Peaks

Living in the Anthropocene
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Distel32

Distel32
PostTue Jun 07, 2016 5:53 pm 
up.gif nice and good Pasayten snotel update! And now I know what it looks like smile.gif

fourteen410

fourteen410
PostTue Jun 07, 2016 6:03 pm 
Thanks for the info! up.gif

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostTue Jun 07, 2016 6:22 pm 
up.gif Yeah look at the lack of snow back in that area and at elevation. The trails and snow in unexposed areas lower is what slows you down those slopes and ridges look good for getting around. I had surgery and couldn't hike for nearly 4 weeks so I didn't have a clue as to the conditions but it looks like summer. They are doing controlled burns in the area and the lower end of Eightmile was very smokey, but the Upper end was fine. Driving the road up they were doing controlled burns right across from campsites where people were camping. eek.gif

raising3hikers

raising3hikers
PostTue Jun 07, 2016 6:27 pm 
i also appreciate the update for the area! thanks and glad you guys had a good trip up.gif

Eric Eames
silence

silence
PostTue Jun 07, 2016 6:29 pm 
I'm always jealous of your early season outings ... nice work! Love the pix!

PHOTOS FILMS Keep a good head and always carry a light bulb. – Bob Dylan
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostTue Jun 07, 2016 7:24 pm 
Yup, looks like a killer trip in more ways than one. Looks like the dudes nailed it again. up.gif

Distel32

Distel32
PostTue Jun 07, 2016 7:26 pm 
Now you're going to make me have a total 6hrs+ of driving this weekend lol.gif waah.gif

Leafguy

Leafguy
PostTue Jun 07, 2016 9:34 pm 
I'm telling your doctor crutches.gif

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostWed Jun 08, 2016 6:45 am 
Leafguy wrote:
I'm telling your doctor crutches.gif
He told me I could go hiking and running. winksmile.gif

Brockton

Brockton
PostWed Jun 08, 2016 6:52 am 
Thanks for the report. What's the road like up to the trailhead? Anything rough for a passenger car?

Get Out and Go

Get Out and Go
PostWed Jun 08, 2016 7:18 am 
Glad to see a TR from you again...and a hearty one at that. cool.gif

"These are the places you will find me hiding'...These are the places I will always go." (Down in the Valley by The Head and The Heart) "Sometimes you're happy. Sometimes you cry. Half of me is ocean. Half of me is sky." (Thanks, Tom Petty)
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostWed Jun 08, 2016 8:11 am 
wildernessed wrote:
We eventually hit a nice, dry trail (Larch Creek) but soon realized we would have to ford Two Bit Creek
After looking at the map I am assuming this was trail #502 that goes to Larch Creek since you were still a ways away from Larch Creek? I hope that trail is good all the way in. I have been mentally planning a trip to camp near Larch Pass and day hike around Sand Ridge and some of the nearby lakes/meadows. Once more of the snow gets knocked down of course.

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostWed Jun 08, 2016 9:27 am 
HitTheTrail wrote:
I hope that trail is good all the way in.
I wish it was Hit the Trail there is sporadic down fall before The Billy Goat / Eightmile split and Billy Goat is a mess especially after the Pass. I anticipated fording Two Bit and Drake creeks so we brought those UL camp shoes and were fine. The water was knee high in the a.m. I think taking Larch Creek to Fox Lakes then looping back over those 8000' peaks, hitting Fool Hen lake and dropping down Two Bit like we just did would be a great outing but I won't be going that way until the down fall is cleared out. That basin in Two Bit was nice.

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostWed Jun 08, 2016 9:29 am 
Brockton wrote:
Thanks for the report. What's the road like up to the trailhead? Anything rough for a passenger car?
The road was in great shape. Better than years past.