Forum Index > Food & Grub > 2022 Fall Mushroom season....
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
thuja

thuja
PostTue Nov 15, 2022 8:33 pm 
Has anybody seen any mushrooms this fall? I have seen nary a one, even in mushroom-y places. I'm guessing the extremely dry weather had something to do with it.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Waterman

Waterman
PostTue Nov 15, 2022 10:52 pm 
I was in eastern Washington during the end of dry season and beginning of the rains. Very few were popping when the snow started. 3900' north side of manastash ridge. Yellow chanterelles, few others.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,I took the one less traveled by. And that has made all the difference. Robert Frost
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue Nov 15, 2022 11:42 pm 
In my last trip report I posted a couple photos of my finds out on the coast a month ago. It was pretty dismal. I have seen nothing at all down at the Park since the rain started. I think maybe we've got a crappy year for mushrooms! rant.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Opus
Wannabe

Opus
Wannabe
PostWed Nov 16, 2022 11:10 am 
Article about it today on the Seattle Times.
Quote:
With mushrooms, timing is everything. And, unfortunately, due to the changing climate in the Northwest and beyond, the window for finding good mushrooms is shrinking. Marian Maxwell, former Puget Sound Mycological Society president and a current board member, didn’t mince words about the disappointing foraging season that is currently underway. “This is the worst foraging season since I started going in 1976, due to the lack of rain and hot sun,” Maxwell said. The main culprits for the shortened season? The quick transition from hot weather to cold weather in the fall, and vice versa in the spring. Lack of rain combined with several days of hard frost in a row will prevent mushrooms from sporing in the fall. Conversely, in the spring, if the temperatures warm up too quickly, that kills the spring season.

Slim, Ski
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Nov 16, 2022 11:31 am 
^ That is pretty much what I figured happened. Night temperatures here have already killed my tomato plants - doesn't seem to be much point in looking for Chanterelles at this point.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."