Forum Index > Gear Talk > Asolo boot quality problems
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
cartman

cartman
PostTue Jun 14, 2016 8:24 am 
Had the rubber sole detach from the midsole/leather upper on my recent trip up Jack. These boots were only a couple of years old; had always been allowed to dry either at room temp or on a Peet boot dryer right after every trip. It appears that delaminating soles has been a problem for their boots for at least the past five years. Asolo is an Italian company; don't know where they used to make their boots, but now many of them are being made in Romania, so quite possible their quality and QC has gone downhill. I've used 520s for 15 years, and this is the first pair I've had a sole fall off. Then I pulled another used pair of the same model boots out of the closet and Nikwaxed them, then placed them on the boot dryer. A few hours later, the soles on both boots were falling off; it appears the midsole--the part attaching the rubber sole to the leather upper--just disintegrated. Looks like I'll have to find another boot model and manufacturer. Too bad, since the 520s are one of the few boots I could wear right out of the box with no break-in. But for $300, I'm not going to take any more chances on these if the manufacturing materials are this shoddy.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostTue Jun 14, 2016 9:45 am 
I am surprised a guy who gets out as frequently as you do expects to get more than two years from a pair of mountain boots. Are you rotating in other pairs of boots? I have experienced and seen lots of upper/midsole glue failures on Asolo boots, more than any other brand. OTOH, yesterday I gave to Goodwill a pair of Asolo Titans that endured very well for nearly two years of hard mountain travel. IME, LaSportiva and Scarpa are the toughest lightweight general mountaineering boots I've used. Have you tried on a Scarpa Active SL? Unfortunately, AFAIK, no local shops carry them. They have become my favorite mountain boot of all time. Fit is similar to 520 (e.g., medium volume, a bit wider than normal footbox, good heel hold). No GoreTex membrane to rip. High quality leather upper. Treat with Obenauf's LP.

RichP

RichP
PostTue Jun 14, 2016 10:12 pm 
My wife's Asolo 530's mid soles turned to dust as well after three years of very light use and the soles fell off. Apparently Asolo was aware of the problem but kept selling this model which is now discontinued. It sounds like other models are having problems too. http://www.trailspace.com/gear/asolo/afx-530/

cartman

cartman
PostThu Jun 16, 2016 4:12 am 
BigSteve wrote:
I am surprised a guy who gets out as frequently as you do expects to get more than two years from a pair of mountain boots. Are you rotating in other pairs of boots?
Yes. August-early October I rarely use Asolos or any other heavy boot, preferring to use light hiking boots or even just sneakers if on a trip with little or no snow. Those are my most active months.
BigSteve wrote:
Have you tried on a Scarpa Active SL?
No, but I see Backcountry.com has them on sale. Can I be confident if I buy the same size in the Scarpa as I've been wearing of the Asolo that it will fit? Also, Backcountry only lists in Euro sizes for this boot. 45.5 = US size 12 according to this conversion chart, so that's what I'd be going with.
BigSteve wrote:
Treat with Obenauf's LP.
I think Dave Page recommended not treating with Obenauf's when I called there a year ago--if I ever wanted my boots resoled. Should I care? Or will the boots simply wear out and need to be replaced? How long do yours last? I'll be using them mostly on snow, so will want to have dry feet--is Obenauf's LP going to keep my feet dry, and any recommendation or tricks when using that for best results? Thanks for the tips--I may go the Scarpa route for my next pair of boots.

graywolf

graywolf
PostThu Jun 16, 2016 5:46 am 
cartman wrote:
I think Dave Page recommended not treating with Obenauf's when I called there a year ago--if I ever wanted my boots resoled. Should I care? Or will the boots simply wear out and need to be replaced? How long do yours last? I'll be using them mostly on snow, so will want to have dry feet--is Obenauf's LP going to keep my feet dry, and any recommendation or tricks when using that for best results
I called Dave Page specifically about this yesterday, and he said not to use Obenauf's LP if you ever want to resole the Scarpa Active boots. He said that Obenauf's is oil based, and the Scarpas are "dry-tanned" leather - he recommended Nikwax, but not the stuff in the tube.

The only easy day was yesterday...
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostThu Jun 16, 2016 7:34 am 
graywolf wrote:
He said that Obenauf's is oil based, and the Scarpas are "dry-tanned" leather - he recommended Nikwax, but not the stuff in the tube.
Obenauf's LP is beeswax-based and contains no petroleum. Obenauf's also makes Leather Oil. Perhaps Dave was speaking of the latter. Dave Page has said alot of things, including, for example, twice recommending against resoling internal-welted/glued light mountaineering boots (e.g., Scarpa Active SL). I know at least two other people have received the same advice from Dave. Maybe he saves that for those of us who trash LMB uppers via relatively rugged use.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostThu Jun 16, 2016 9:53 am 
cartman wrote:
Can I be confident if I buy the same size in the Scarpa as I've been wearing of the Asolo that it will fit?
It's been awhile since I've worn Asolo boots, but as I recall Asolo and Scarpa sizing are similar. Active SL might have a bit more forefoot width.
cartman wrote:
Should I care? Or will the boots simply wear out and need to be replaced?
See my post above re resoling LMBs. IME, by the time the treads are worn down the upper is usually pretty beaten up. My mountain travel is probably similar to yours: Lots of scree, talus and abrasive rock. Also, while I think Dave Page does good work, IME, after a resole the boot never performs as well as with the original sole. This will be my second season on my first pair of Active SLs. I put lots of days on them last year, which, as you know, was a very low snow year, so they were exposed to lots of abrasive rock. The soles and uppers are holding up fine, better than synthetic upper LMBs, e.g., Scarpa Charmoz LaSportiva Trango-S. FWIW, my prior boot was LaSportiva's similar model, the Pamir (non-GTX version). Great boot that I really liked but I can't find it in the U.S. Scarpa Active SL is singificantly lighter and has performed about the same, so I consider it a small step up (due to lighter weight).
cartman wrote:
I'll be using them mostly on snow, so will want to have dry feet--is Obenauf's LP going to keep my feet dry, and any recommendation or tricks when using that for best results?
My Active SLs with Obenauf's have kept my feet drier than any of the dozen or more GTX LMB I've had. They also breathe much better than GTX boots, so they are more comfy in warm weather and if your feet do get damp from sweat they will dry out faster. I recall that you share my experience that GTX boot liners rip after a half season or so of use, then start leaking and take forever to dry. If that has been your experience, properly treated Active SLs will be a big step up re foot comfort. Re applying Obenauf's, see the numerous threads from others who have used the stuff longer than I have. I followed their advice: Clean boot (scrubbing with soft brush if necessary) and allow to completely dry. Get boot warm in sun then rub in Obenauf's and leave in sun until leather soaks it up. Repeat 1 or 2 times and leave in sun for a half day or more. Wipe off excess so that it doesn't attract dust. IME, Obenauf's LP, effectively applied, is more durable and more water resistant that water-based treatments, e.g., Nikwax aqueous, or other wax-based treatments, e.g., SnoSeal.

tigermn

tigermn
PostThu Jun 16, 2016 2:21 pm 
cartman wrote:
BigSteve wrote:
Treat with Obenauf's LP.
I think Dave Page recommended not treating with Obenauf's when I called there a year ago--if I ever wanted my boots resoled. Should I care? Or will the boots simply wear out and need to be replaced? How long do yours last? I'll be using them mostly on snow, so will want to have dry feet--is Obenauf's LP going to keep my feet dry, and any recommendation or tricks when using that for best results?
Well I brought my boots in to that shop to be resoled. He told me they couldn't be resoled. I used Obenauf's on them for years. He could probably tell I suspect... LOL... Took them to another shop and got them resoled just fine, so while some people may think the guy is god of boots and boot care, I have my own opinion... Needless to say I won't be going back to that shop.

cartman

cartman
PostThu Jun 16, 2016 8:36 pm 
Very interesting. Where did you have them resoled? Page is retiring anyway, so we'll all need a good cobbler to go to in the future. Is Obenauf's LP sold locally? If not, where do you like to order it from?

Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostThu Jun 16, 2016 11:21 pm 
Tigerman used some shoe guy down in Renton with good results. Maybe he can chime in.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostFri Jun 17, 2016 8:11 am 
cartman wrote:
Is Obenauf's LP sold locally? If not, where do you like to order it from?
Filson's on 4th S carries small containers. I get mine via Amazon.

graywolf

graywolf
PostFri Jun 17, 2016 9:01 am 
Ski raves about this place: http://www.ardessons.com/

The only easy day was yesterday...
Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn

Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn
PostSat Jun 18, 2016 12:19 am 
I owned a pair of Asolo, non-Goretex, light hikers -- they fit my somewhat-wide feet quite well and wore out normally (no sole delamination). I liked them.

“I never give them hell. I just tell the truth and they think it's hell.” — Harry S. Truman
Songs2

Songs2
PostSun Jun 19, 2016 7:02 pm 
I am reading this thread carefully. My Asolo boots GTX 55 are 13 years old and have been through 2 resoles, the last by Dave Page. They now weigh about 2 tons each, but are still the best-fitting boot I have ever put on my feet. Some friends invested in Esatto boots. http://www.esatto.biz/ They are pricey, around $1,000, but apparently the charm that works.

GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostTue Jan 25, 2022 9:08 am 
After trying various brands of boots, I've eventually settled on the Asolo TPS 520s as my footwear of choice. They have been the only boot in which the waterproofing has never failed, and due to their old-school styling, have not split where plastic has dug into the leather. I did notice however, that maybe 5yrs after heavy hiking use the sole began to separate from the boot. The boots was generally still in good shape, despite the ~500mi per year that I generally subject them to, and the 5yrs life I got was still way better than other boots I'd previously owned. Right now, I'm on my second pair, about 3yrs in. With my generally good experience I recommended these boots to others, only for them to get back to me and say that quite a few reviews were negative, mentioning "catastrophic" failure, with the soles delaminating from the boot, even if very lightly used. This wasn't quite my experience, so I started to investigate. It seems that all modern boots have this problem, which is caused by hydrolysis attacking the mid-sole. The moisture causes the mid-sole to develop tiny cracks and eventually leads to failure. This begins to happen right after manufacture, and peaks 6yrs or so later. And, funnily enough, the less you use the boots the quicker the failure happens! In fact, Asolo recommends switching your boots 5yrs after purchase. Here's a (non-Asolo) boot maker's explanation: https://stories.hanwag.com/en/hiking-boots-sole-coming-off-what-to-do/

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani