Forum Index > Trail Talk > Shots in my direction while picking huckleberries
 This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Previous :: Next Topic
Author Message
melc
Member
Member


Joined: 03 Apr 2008
Posts: 78 | TRs | Pics
melc
Member
PostSat Sep 10, 2016 10:58 am 
I was picking huckleberries near Keechelus Ridge last Saturday. Lots of people out picking over Labor Day weekend. I was picking with my young son and there was 2 vehicles of commercial pickers in the same area. Late in the day a truck drives up the spur road we were picking along, parks and starts target shooting at a rock outcrop. The gun they started with sounded small but it made me feel uncomfortable they were so close to several people on the other side of a small backdrop. I told my son we should start making our way back to the car. We picked a little as we walked. Suddenly there was a buzzing whoosh over my head. Then it happened again. A bullet flew just over my head! mad.gif I started yelling as loud as I could for them to stop shooting so we could get out of there. I have no clue if the shooters heard me. I couldn't see them, just their truck. The commercial pickers where even closer to the shooters and some of them almost even with the shooters. I know they heard me screaming as they all stopped picking and looked at me as I yelled. There wasn't anymore shooting as we ran back to the car and drove off. I really wanted to drive up and yell at the shooters but having my kid with me and yelling at people with guns didn't seem so smart. Ugh!

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
awilsondc
Member
Member


Joined: 03 Apr 2016
Posts: 1323 | TRs | Pics
awilsondc
Member
PostSat Sep 10, 2016 11:49 am 
I was on my way down Mount Washington (Olympics) with a friend 9/4/16 when we started hearing gunshots. Lots of them... for about 2 hours as we descended, including an extremely loud bomb they set off. Really takes the ambiance from peaceful mountain to a bit of fight or flight feeling. It got louder as we descended. When I was close to the road I could actually the group of about a dozen firing all sorts of guns. They were about 100 yards from where I parked my car. Frickin' a*$/0|*$. Their vehicle couldn't have been any more stereotypical. Huge white truck with a gigantic american flag on the back. No bullets whizzing by my head thank god, but it was not fun. I'm glad nobody got hurt for either of us.

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
grannyhiker
Member
Member


Joined: 29 Jul 2006
Posts: 3516 | TRs | Pics
Location: Gateway to the Columbia Gorge
grannyhiker
Member
PostSat Sep 10, 2016 12:08 pm 
It was folks "target shooting" using that explosive stuff (I forget what it's called) who started the big wildfire along the Clackamas River above Estacada, OR a couple of years ago. What gets me is that the USFS found out who it was but didn't prosecute. The jerks should have been billed for the firefighting cost!

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
graffiti
Member
Member


Joined: 17 Oct 2011
Posts: 287 | TRs | Pics
Location: Olympia, WA
graffiti
Member
PostSat Sep 10, 2016 12:11 pm 
That can be a little nerve wracking for sure. Went to Indian Heaven Wilderness this time two years ago (coincidentally, I'm heading up there again tomorrow) during bow hunting season. Was sitting on the shore of Cultus Lake taking a break when I started hearing someone doing elk calls (very badly. It was kinda creepy really.) It went on for a while then stopped. Not long after, I heard the distinctive sound of a bow being shot and heard an arrow fly a few feet to the left of me and splash in the lake (oddly, there were no elk in that lake at the time. Hmm. I wonder what they were shooting at.) I yelled and ran up the trail right away in time to see to mid-20's twinsies with crew cuts, new camo and expensive bow set-ups running away from me. They knew what they did but since I'm not a real intimidating sort, I assume they thought I may have been forestry or something (I was wearing green pants but had the loudest fluorescent orange shirt that I own on so, who knows.)

And the meek shall inherit the Earth...um...if that's ok with you.
Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
NacMacFeegle
Member
Member


Joined: 16 Jan 2014
Posts: 2653 | TRs | Pics
Location: United States
NacMacFeegle
Member
PostSat Sep 10, 2016 4:03 pm 
Target shooting should be banned in National Forests - there's no reason the idiots that do it can't just as easily go to a gun range. It's a danger to others, it causes forest fires, litters the forest with garbage, and completely ruins the natural soundscape.

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/
Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
Tom_Sjolseth
Born Yesterday



Joined: 30 May 2007
Posts: 2652 | TRs | Pics
Location: Right here.
Tom_Sjolseth
Born Yesterday
PostSat Sep 10, 2016 4:26 pm 
USFS is everyone's land, not just for hikers. Banning shooting on USFS land goes against the multiple uses it was intended for. Hikers also cause forest fires by burning toilet paper and letting their campfires get out of control. They hike with boomboxes attached to their backpacks, ruining the natural soundscape. They litter the trails with dog poo bags and wrappers from energy gels. In this case it would appear that a few bad apples spoil the whole bunch. It would be illogical to suggest hikers be banned from the USFS, and it is also equally illogical to suggest shooters should. Yes, shooters should be obligated to pick up their trash and not shoot up vacuums and television sets. They should use a proper backstop for shooting at all times. But they should be permitted to use our National Forest lands just like anyone else. That's why they're there. Not just for hikers. Go to the National Park if you don't like people shooting. That said, what happened to the original poster is wrong and if it were me, I would have called the police, not thought about going and yelling at the shooters. Yelling at them isn't going to do much. Calling the police will in a hurry.

Layback, Snow_Knot, Krylon
Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
contour5
Member
Member


Joined: 16 Jul 2003
Posts: 2961 | TRs | Pics
contour5
Member
PostSat Sep 10, 2016 7:02 pm 
Sorry to hear of your troubles, melc. I've also been severely annoyed/scared shrtless by irresponsible shooters, mostly near THs, and along the forest roads, but also, occasionally, out on the trails.
Quote:
It would be illogical to suggest hikers be banned from the USFS, and it is also equally illogical to suggest shooters should
Not really equal activities, if you think about it. Walking around leaving ghastly footprints is common to both groups, but the hikers are far less likely to endanger others by carelessly spraying random bursts of deadly high speed projectiles. Careless shooters endanger everyone around them. And there's plenty of evidence out there, of the misbehavior of irresponsible users: shot up road signs and trees, landings, pull-outs and intersections littered with spent shell casings. I'm convinced that shooting needs to be better regulated on the forest roads. More designated areas for target practice might be a good place to start.

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
xrp
Tactical Backpacker



Joined: 01 May 2012
Posts: 369 | TRs | Pics
xrp
Tactical Backpacker
PostSat Sep 10, 2016 7:12 pm 
Grannyhiker wrote:
It was folks "target shooting" using that explosive stuff (I forget what it's called) who started the big wildfire along the Clackamas River above Estacada, OR a couple of years ago. What gets me is that the USFS found out who it was but didn't prosecute. The jerks should have been billed for the firefighting cost!
You're talking about tannerite. The company that produces it states that tannerite does not cause fires.

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
Ringangleclaw
Member
Member


Joined: 01 Sep 2010
Posts: 1559 | TRs | Pics
Ringangleclaw
Member
PostSat Sep 10, 2016 7:30 pm 
Tannerite looks like fun

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
NacMacFeegle
Member
Member


Joined: 16 Jan 2014
Posts: 2653 | TRs | Pics
Location: United States
NacMacFeegle
Member
PostSat Sep 10, 2016 9:35 pm 
Tom_Sjolseth wrote:
Banning shooting on USFS land goes against the multiple uses it was intended for.
Harvey Manning used to call it "multiple abuse" policy - a highly accurate description of a failed philosophy of land management that has wrought havoc throughout our National and State forests. However, even if you do insist on prescribing to the idiotic idea of allowing unsustainable and dangerous types of recreation on public land, there is still no good reason for target shooters to be there. All these morons are doing is shooting targets - for what reason is it necessary for them to do so in National Forests? You try to do the tiresome "nyah, nyah, hikers can do bad things too" bit, but that argument falls flat since the danger and noise of target shooting are inherent in the activity, while hiking at its core is the most benign and lowest impact of recreational activities.
Tom_Sjolseth wrote:
But they should be permitted to use our National Forest lands just like anyone else.
They are welcome to - just so long as they do so without polluting our National Forests and disrupting the experience and endangering the lives of decent folks with noise and bullets. Target shooters can go and practice at a gun range where such practice belongs. If they want to visit public land they should do so in a way that is respectful to it and to the other people who use it.

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/
Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
Ski
><((((>



Joined: 27 May 2005
Posts: 12753 | TRs | Pics
Location: tacoma
Ski
><((((>
PostSat Sep 10, 2016 11:53 pm 
NacMacFeegle wrote:
Target shooters can go and practice at a gun range where such practice belongs.
lol.gif because you say so, right? bottom line is that hunting and shooting are allowed on NFS lands unless otherwise specifically prohibited (i.e., "no shooting zones".) that's a federal law. doesn't really matter whether or not you like it, or what Harvey Manning has to say: it's a federal law. it's called "MULTI-use" and cute little euphemisms don't really amount to a bucket of warm spit. don't like it? run for Congress and change the law. good luck with that. if you have bullets whizzing over your head, that's called "reckless endangerment" and you should contact the County Sheriff's office and give them a plate number/description of vehicle/date/time/place. been there. Thurston County Sheriff went down and told 'em he'd not only confiscate all their weapons but write 'em up and fine the hell out of 'em too, if not haul 'em in and book them. if it was along the I-90 corridor there's a possibility it may have been within a no-shooting zone, but I'm not an authority on that one. you'd have to check with the local NFS District Ranger Office.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
Ringangleclaw
Member
Member


Joined: 01 Sep 2010
Posts: 1559 | TRs | Pics
Ringangleclaw
Member
PostSun Sep 11, 2016 2:46 am 
As a gun owner and frequent target shooter on USFS land, target shooting areas are amoung the most trashed areas one will find. It should be incumbent on shooters to shoot safely and clean up after themselves. Missuse of shooting areas has led to the shooting closures of the I-90 corridor and USFS Rd 60 (the Mount Persis Rd, if I have the number correct), as well as threatened access to massive areas in the Greenwater region. That said, a blanket closure on shooting is wrong, and it should be realized that most shooting does occur in some of the most ripped up industrially logged areas of the state. We are not talking about destroying a little patch of heaven, we are talking about stinking up a small part of a clear cut. But this issue would be largely moot if people cleaned up their targets and raked up the area when done.

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
Randito
Snarky Member



Joined: 27 Jul 2008
Posts: 9488 | TRs | Pics
Location: Bellevue at the moment.
Randito
Snarky Member
PostSun Sep 11, 2016 6:09 am 
I was river camping (drift boat) on the Middle Fork of the Snoqualmie between the Taylor and the Pratt. We were on a gravel bar on the side away from the road. My kids ages 5 and 3 at the time and I were on the riverbank tossing rocks in the river, when the whizzing overhead started -- fortunately there was a large log nearby and we got down behind it. Quiet for a while -- then more whizzing -- then I saw a group across the river running around with guns in hand -- I waved my shirt from behind the log. They moved off. This was in 1990 -- one of the periods when it wasn't uncommon to see shot up TVs or even cars in pull outs along the Middle Fork road. I never tried river camping on that section of river again -- which was disappointing -- cause it's proximity and mellow nature (easy class 2) were idea for camping with kids. Shooting across a body of water is illegal in Washington state -- but I suppose that and even basic safety procedures doesn't matter if you are a knucklehead. Target shooting is one thing -- where the there is an actual target to aim at -- this seemed like random shooting of rounds without any sort of idea where those rounds were going to end up.

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
Randito
Snarky Member



Joined: 27 Jul 2008
Posts: 9488 | TRs | Pics
Location: Bellevue at the moment.
Randito
Snarky Member
PostSun Sep 11, 2016 6:14 am 
xrp wrote:
Grannyhiker wrote:
It was folks "target shooting" using that explosive stuff (I forget what it's called) who started the big wildfire along the Clackamas River above Estacada, OR a couple of years ago. What gets me is that the USFS found out who it was but didn't prosecute. The jerks should have been billed for the firefighting cost!
You're talking about tannerite. The company that produces it states that tannerite does not cause fires.
Yeah -- but tannerite isn't the only thing that people shoot at (skip ahead to 1:00)

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
Tom_Sjolseth
Born Yesterday



Joined: 30 May 2007
Posts: 2652 | TRs | Pics
Location: Right here.
Tom_Sjolseth
Born Yesterday
PostSun Sep 11, 2016 6:42 am 
NacMacFeegle wrote:
Harvey Manning used to call it "multiple abuse" policy - a highly accurate description of a failed philosophy of land management that has wrought havoc throughout our National and State forests.
OK, well Harvey Manning (or anyone else for that matter) didn't effect change in that regard. In terms of our discussion here, it's a pretty moot point because the USFS lands are established for multiple uses. Period.
NacMacFeegle wrote:
However, even if you do insist on prescribing to the idiotic idea of allowing unsustainable and dangerous types of recreation on public land, there is still no good reason for target shooters to be there.
An equally moot point as the last. Target shooters belong - they are a user group that is permitted to use these lands that THEY own too.
NacMacFeegle wrote:
They are welcome to - just so long as they do so without polluting our National Forests and disrupting the experience and endangering the lives of decent folks with noise and bullets. Target shooters can go and practice at a gun range where such practice belongs. If they want to visit public land they should do so in a way that is respectful to it and to the other people who use it.
I'm sensing a lot of emotion in your statements, but not a lot of logical thought. Emotion tends to cloud our judgment. Again, you do not own sole rights to these lands. You do not get to determine who is permitted to use them and who is not. While I agree that all user groups should be responsible and good stewards of the land, it does not mean that because some yardbird leaves his spent shell casings and a television set, that everyone else gets punished because of it. Same way with hiking. Just because some hiker trundles a rock and kills someone below them (which has happened), not everyone should be banned from the land because somebody else deemed it a dangerous type of recreation. We need to have a bit of integrity. Just because we don't like something (shooting) or don't understand why others might do it, does not mean it is wrong to do. That's just selfish.

Layback, Snow_Knot
Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
   All times are GMT - 8 Hours
 This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Forum Index > Trail Talk > Shots in my direction while picking huckleberries
  Happy Birthday CrazyYank!
Jump to:   
Search this topic:

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum