Forum Index > Trail Talk > Shots in my direction while picking huckleberries
 This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Previous :: Next Topic
Ringangleclaw

Ringangleclaw
PostMon Sep 12, 2016 9:39 am 
InFlight wrote:
Rather than argue the right to shoot, it would seem to me the limitation of target shooting to specific designated locations that are safely away from the paths of other National Forest users is the better solution.
Or that shooters shoot safely, correctly and legally. Most of the issues cited would disappear if common sense and the law were followed by target shooters.

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostMon Sep 12, 2016 9:49 am 
The National Forests are becoming increasingly crowed places. Unless the shooters know of all potential users on trails, climbing access routes, berry and mushroom picking etc.; it's hard to know if any location is inherently safe from conflict. Setting up specific target zones with reasonable access and distance from population centers would be "common sense".

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau
Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
thunderhead

thunderhead
PostMon Sep 12, 2016 9:50 am 
Safe and responsible shooting/hunting should be allowed in much of the NFs. For example, a site where one is shooting away from trails/roads, into a hillside where the bullet clearly stops within sight of the shooters, is an obvious location for responsible target shooting. But dangerously and idiotically shooting near others should result in serious jail time.

Ringangleclaw

Ringangleclaw
PostMon Sep 12, 2016 10:08 am 
InFlight wrote:
The National Forests are becoming increasingly crowed places. Unless .............. it's hard to know if any location is inherently safe from conflict.
I disagree. It's pretty easy to ascertain if a site is safe, especially with handguns. It's a question of where the bullet is going to go, what about ricochets and can anybody come in from the side. It's not hard in the mountainous west to be able to quickly assess a site.

Ringangleclaw

Ringangleclaw
PostMon Sep 12, 2016 10:11 am 
Magellan wrote:
Ringangleclaw wrote:
Missuse of shooting areas has led to the shooting closures of the I-90 corridor and USFS Rd 60 (the Mount Persis Rd, if I have the number correct),
In the case of Persis, the 'misuse' was shooting towards guys running logging equipment. Just making sure people know why.
According to some foresters I know, the garbage was an issue also.

Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostMon Sep 12, 2016 10:39 am 
melc wrote:
A bullet flew just over my head! I started yelling as loud as I could for them to stop shooting There wasn't anymore shooting as we ran back to the car and drove off.
These shooters were probably acting illegally. Yelling put an end to it. You did good. I hope you also called the Sheriff.

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
Schroder

Schroder
PostMon Sep 12, 2016 10:57 am 
All the questions and comments here are covered in WAC 332-52-145 Firearms and target shooting

Ringangleclaw

Ringangleclaw
PostMon Sep 12, 2016 10:59 am 
Schroder wrote:
All the questions and comments here are covered in WAC 332-52-145 Firearms and target shooting
That is only for state owned and managed lands, but everybody else is similar

WANative

WANative
PostMon Sep 12, 2016 2:54 pm 
By law, you have to shoot into a hillside, you're not allowed to shoot across a body of water, into or through trees and bushes or within 150' of a road or shoot at things like appliances, fancy but ugly dinner plates etc. Gravel and borrow pits are really the only places that fit the criteria. If someone isn't following the rules, call the ranger. They'll get a ticket or worse.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Sep 12, 2016 3:00 pm 
Thank you, Schroder. Ringangleclaw is correct: NFS regulations aren't much different. WANnative: as I said above, call the County Sheriff. NFS doesn't have enough LEO staff on the ground to deal with this kind of stuff, unfortunately.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostMon Sep 12, 2016 3:06 pm 
Ski wrote:
NFS regulations aren't much different.
Ignorance of the law is no excuse however many people don't know the exact laws, shooters and hikers alike. I usually try to talk to the shooters.

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
kiliki

kiliki
PostTue Sep 20, 2016 10:12 am 
I would love to hear Melc check back in and tell us he did indeed immediately (as soon as back in cell range) call 911 with a description of the truck, location, etc.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSun Jan 21, 2024 10:12 pm 
https://www.fs.usda.gov/rm/pubs_series/rmrs/rp/rmrs_rp108.pdf

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon Jan 22, 2024 11:41 am 
I just quickly skimmed bits of that paper. While living in the suburbs of Randle, I once had my trailer packed and ready to go because a fire was headed towards my part of the woods. Luckily, the local residents and fire dept. hit it hard and early. Later, it was rumored that the fire started in a slash pile behind a locked gate on a timber company's land. It was said that somebody (never identified) had been shooting exploding targets which were leaned against a dry slash pile. And it was dry in the woods at that time. Industrial Fire Precautions Levels will name specific activities that are prohibited in the woods during fire season. Explosives are mentioned. My two cents is that our population in the state has increased drastically with most of it concentrated in the Puget Sound area. We no longer have rural garbage dumps where kids like me learned that no, TVs do not explode when shot with a 22 but aerosol cans sometimes are entertaining. The number of idiots increases with population. One benefit from now living in town is that the sound of gun fire, heard year round in Randle, does not occur here. It's actually quieter at night. One Randle woman, who was long in tooth, was rumored to shoot at whatever bothered her at night, and then would phone her son to come and see if she had killed anything. Some closer neighbors, who moved away, left home made mortar launchers in their garage. That explained where the house rattling booms came from. People actually move to rural areas in order to be able to shoot on their own property. In Arizona, people from Phoenix would drive up to the National Forest and blaze away. There was one spot with a couch dumped where they shot trees. One tree finally fell over. Since the forest is pretty flat around there, it made me a bit nervous while out working, and I started taking my dog along. My dog would let me know when people were near us. One old fart here in Okanogan county used to come as close to threatening as he could without it becoming a crime. He'd walk out to where I was working and warn me that I shouldn't be out alone, that something could happen to me. Back to Randle, a drug addict who replaced his drug habit with Jesus stopped and started harassing me while I was cutting open a road. It was getting scary. My Used Dog was out with me and sat down staring at the guy and scared the guy away just by doing that. I have stopped and politely talked to target shooters who were shooting towards a road. I didn't yell at them, and tried to not make them feel overly stupid as they were teaching their kids to shoot. They were polite back, and left the area. Where they thought "nobody would be" was an area about to have timber sale bidders out taking a look. I still think it is pretty safe to be in the woods. Just take a good dog along. smile.gif

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Jan 22, 2024 3:14 pm 
^ I came across that paper because of another thread on another site about this stuff. The paper is well worth the read, although a bit lengthy. Probably took me a good hour to wade through it. The "conclusions" are pretty vague. Does the "tannerite" cause the fire? Or is the fire the result of aluminum shavings burning at 6700° F (or some insane number - far above and away from the 600° F required to ignite dry grass or bark.) Manner of mixing has a significant effect on the "explosion", as well as placement (straw mat or 6-inch steel pedestal, in this case.) The part of it that is more troubling is the repeated mention of "other commercially available brands", which are not necessarily "Tannerite" (which is a brand name, not the name of the product itself.) Some of these "other commercially available brands" may or may not have the same characteristics or behave in the same manner as "Tannerite". I think that a reasonable person would come away with a somewhat-informed opinion that the stuff IS a contributor to the problem of wildfires. I cannot see any legitimate reason for using this, other than to make a lot of noise and watch stuff blow up. While I understand that's how some guys get their kicks, they need to do it on their own land. NOT public lands. They've outlawed this stuff on all USFS administered lands, haven't they? And NPS stuff would clearly be a no-go area. What about on BLM lands, which is where some of the biggest fires have occurred?