Forum Index > Trip Reports > "Annette Mtn" (USGS Shuksan Arm) 1/29/2023
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot
PostMon Feb 20, 2023 1:59 am 
Date 1/29/23 Destination: "Annette" Mtn 5681, USGS Shuksan Arm Party: Matt, Carla (Dicey), Elle (Snowdog), Barb (BarbE) For a sunny day, we decided to go somewhere scenic, and headed toward Mt. Ann. Short version of the route: Start from Heather Meadows parking lot at Baker ski area. Go south up to Austin Pass 4750. Go down the Lake Ann trail. From the trail junction at 3930 feet, angle uphill southward to the col between Ann 5840 and Annette 5681. There were hordes of people up till Austin Pass. Beyond Austin Pass, we enjoyed hours of complete solitude, thought lots of previous ski tracks. The skiers had packed down a solid path, which was firm enough that we could snowshoe on it without breaking the tread. Traversing through the woods shady and cold, but then we reached broad sunny meadows, with views of Baker opening up.
Dropping down from Austin Pass.  Annette is the small bump in distance at right.  Shuksan is hiding to the left.
Dropping down from Austin Pass. Annette is the small bump in distance at right. Shuksan is hiding to the left.
Sunny hiking along snowy meadows.
Sunny hiking along snowy meadows.
More hiking through the meadows.
More hiking through the meadows.
Baker from near the Lake Ann / Swift Creek trail junction.
Baker from near the Lake Ann / Swift Creek trail junction.
After a meal break, we began angling up toward Ann. Around 4300 feet, where the north-facing slope was shaded again, there was a divergence of way. I continued upward, in hope of bright views above, but the rest of the group decided they'd rather return to the sunny meadows for a more relaxing trip. As it turned out, I quickly ascended back into sunlight, with views of Shuksan's icy crown pulling me upward. At the col, a beaten track led up Ann, but I broke my own trail to Annette instead, since it would be a new spot for me to visit. Near the top, I had to switch to crampons from grip on a few steeper parts.
Hiking up from the junction.
Hiking up from the junction.
Shuksan appears with the moon rising behind it.
Tiny skier atop Mt. Ann
Tiny skier atop Mt. Ann
Sastrugi at the Ann col
Sastrugi at the Ann col
Looking up to Annette (the route actually curves farther right away from the steeper slope)
Looking up to Annette (the route actually curves farther right away from the steeper slope)
Views were wonderful from the summit, so white and shiny, and both Shuksan & Baker looked great.
Admiring the view of Shuksan from Annette
Admiring the view of Shuksan from Annette
Icy west face of Shuksan
Icy west face of Shuksan
Looking south to Baker & Shannon Lakes
Looking south to Baker & Shannon Lakes
Looking east to Ann & Baker
Looking east to Ann & Baker
Looking north to Tomyhoi and the Border peaks
Looking north to Tomyhoi and the Border peaks
Looking back northwest to Austin Pass
Looking back northwest to Austin Pass
For some different views on my exit, I traversed below the north face of Annette to the ridge above Lake Ann. This included some steep snow, so it would go only in stable conditions. This gave any even broader view of Shuksan's magnificent face.
Traversing around the north side of Annette
Traversing around the north side of Annette
Full view of Shuksan
Full view of Shuksan
As I hiked back through the meadows, the upper edges of Shuksan lit with alpenglow. By the time I reached Austin Pass, Shuksan held the faintest afterglow of lavender pink. As the sky darkened to black, I just barely made it to the parking lot without needing my headlamp.
Shuksan alpenglow
Shuksan alpenglow
Shuksan afterglow from Austin Pass
Shuksan afterglow from Austin Pass
There I learned that the others had also enjoyed a glowing show of mountains. They had hiked up to Artist Point, and waited there to catch the sunset light. Round trip 11 miles, 3400 gain.

“As beacons mountains burned at evening.” J.R.R. Tolkien

peter707, Bootpathguy, Mesahchie Mark, Gimpilator, NWtrax, rubywrangler, Nancyann, jaysway, Prosit, Tom, awilsondc, fourteen410, Now I Fly, John Mac, silence, reststep, neek, RichP  Slim
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Now I Fly

Now I Fly
PostMon Feb 20, 2023 9:03 am 
What a fantastic day! Baker area is one of the biggest bang for the buck in the state! Well done!

GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostMon Feb 20, 2023 11:59 am 
Matt wrote:
Great shot! Shuksan looks so cool from this aspect with only the pointy part showing. eek.gif

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani

Now I Fly
Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot
PostMon Feb 20, 2023 3:29 pm 
It was an enticing reveal for Shuksan, with just the pointy tip appearing over the ridge at first, then more and more of the mountain appearing as I ascended, practically pulling me uphill to enjoy all of it.

“As beacons mountains burned at evening.” J.R.R. Tolkien
Gimpilator
infinity/21M

Gimpilator
infinity/21M
PostWed Mar 01, 2023 9:30 am 
Thanks for the report Matt. That might be my favorite snowshoe trip, mainly for the views.