Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Kalaloch is falling into the Pacific Ocean (Seattle Times 08/02/23)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Aug 11, 2023 10:21 am 
The Pacific Ocean has been chewing away at the bluffs out at Kalaloch forever. The erosion process has accelerated significantly in recent decades. They have a real problem out there. The article is about the lodge and the cabins. The campground (the largest campground in the Park now) is right up the street. https://coastalcare.org/2023/08/slipping-away-erosion-forces-olympic-national-park-to-take-a-hard-look-at-kalaloch-lodge-the-seattle-times/

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Mar 06, 2024 2:09 pm 
Tuesday, March 3, 2024 16:56 PST Olympic National Park News Release Accelerating coastal erosion forces removal of some Kalaloch cabins Port Angeles, Wash. – On March 11, 2024, Port Angeles contractor 2Grade will begin removing structurally compromised cabins in Kalaloch, Washington. The ten cabins slated for removal are within five meters [16.404 feet, for those of you living in the U.S.] of the bluff edge and unsafe for occupancy. All have been closed to public use since January 1, 2024. The main Kalaloch Lodge is not threatened. The cabins provided an opportunity to marvel at the power of the ocean at any time of year. "We are sorry to say goodbye to these cabins, but visitor safety must come first." said Deputy Superintendent Kevin Killian. "Even without the cabins, the experience of visiting this wild coastline will endure." A combination of King Tides, strong winter storms, and freeze-thaw events have eroded the bluff beneath the cabins. Over four meters of bluff sloughed off in some areas between December 2023 and January 2024 alone. The bluff's loose composition of sand, gravel, and stone makes it especially vulnerable to erosion from wave action enhanced by soaking rains and recent freeze-thaw events. The saturated material expands when frozen and becomes weaker when it thaws. Bluff erosion is a natural process that has accelerated over the last ten years. -NPS-

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Mar 06, 2024 2:11 pm 
Subject: Re: Media Alert - Accelerating coastal erosion forces removal of some Kalaloch cabins Date: 2024-03-05 4:25 pm From: ski To: sula_jacobs@nps.gov, Cc: christina_miller@nps.gov Sula Jacobs, Superintendent, Olympic National Park Christina Miller, Compliance, Olympic National Park Lynda Mapes, Seattle Times Office of Honorable Derek Kilmer, United States Congress RE: Erosion at Kalaloch necessitating removal of rental cabins. The beaches at Kalaloch have been falling into the Pacific for decades. Nothing new there. The Park needs to look at options for moving facilities at Kalaloch over to the east side of the highway - it's just a matter of time before HWY 101 (and that fabulous new bridge over Steamboat Creek) are swallowed up by the tide. The Park will need to secure a funding appropriation adequate to cover the costs of conducting such study. This is clearly - as we are seeing in current news broadcasts out of southern California - a matter of when, not if. Thank you for your time and consideration. Brian Kirk Tacoma

altasnob

altasnob
PostThu Mar 07, 2024 9:28 am 
seawallrunner
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostThu Mar 07, 2024 1:17 pm 
A the Klayloch Campground is rapidly turning into a cesspool.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
slabbyd

slabbyd
PostThu Mar 07, 2024 1:27 pm 
Stayed in a cabin at Kalaloch in the late 70's? as a small child. Can still smell/hear the ocean and the musty cabin. Good memories. Amazing how with 4x the population, the number of recreational sites and campgrounds keep dwindling in Washington. What a feast it must have been between WWII and the Reagan years!

Jaberwock, Anne Elk
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostFri Mar 08, 2024 8:35 am 
Malachai Constant wrote:
A the Klayloch Campground is rapidly turning into a cesspool.
I stayed there once. It was hard to pull my little trailer through to get to a site due to the big rigs that were sticking out into the road. That's not only Kalaloch, it is also becoming a problem in other campgrounds. However, one place I usually go to for my shakedown trip is so cheap that people pay for another space to park their toys in. There is still the problem of the long long trailer sticking out. Should campgrounds be redone for the length and many slideouts that trailers now have? Or should they add to their website the length of each spot, or even better, ask what the configuration of the RV is and then spit out sites that would work?

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostFri Mar 08, 2024 8:38 am 
slabbyd wrote:
Stayed in a cabin at Kalaloch in the late 70's? as a small child. Can still smell/hear the ocean and the musty cabin. Good memories. Amazing how with 4x the population, the number of recreational sites and campgrounds keep dwindling in Washington. What a feast it must have been between WWII and the Reagan years!
Camping has exploded. Steamboat Rock SP added another loop. It still fills up for most of the season. When I first retired, I could find sites on weekdays--even at the beach SPs. Can't do that now.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Mar 08, 2024 10:08 am 
^ They're going to accommodate all that tourist traffic up at the new Nisqually River State Park! Yeah! That one! The one that's 20 miles out of town on a two-lane blacktop highway that goes to Mt. Rainier! Nothing like adding a little fuel to the traffic congestion fire!

seawallrunner
dilettante

seawallrunner
dilettante
PostSat Mar 09, 2024 1:46 pm 
A year or two after the Olympics I traveled to Kalaloch with a friend for a mild-weather November camping weekend (around Veteran's Day timeframe). We arrived at the campground after a long drive from Vancouver BC and found that all of the open campsites were under 6" of water. It had been raining on the days before, and water draining was slow. What to do? Surely we didn't want to head back home. The Lodge had a special rate going (something like $20.11 or $20.12 a night if one booked for three nights). It was evidently low season. We decided why not, let's grab a cabin instead of camping in the muck. It was a good experience. The cabins had two queen beds, a fireplace, a small kitchenette, a bathroom with hot and cold running water - definitely an improvement over camping. If I remember correctly we were in one of the cabins on the inner row (numbered 20 to 29?). It was good fun to visit the beaches again, and walk on the beach at night with our flashlights shut off, guided by the sound of the surf on one side, and the feeling of forest on the other. I have visited Kalaloch many times before that trip, and afterwards, and am saddened that erosion is taking some of the structures away. The Pacific coast is magnificent, and it's a mixed blessing that more people have learned about its existence. Sad to see our secret spots becoming better known.

Ski, graywolf, Anne Elk