Forum Index > Support & Feedback > Enhancements to read/unread post tracking
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
wiki summary

wiki summary
PostTue Nov 29, 2016 2:59 am 
I've rewritten the code so it will keep track of topics you've read (and where you stopped reading them) going forward. In the past we only tracked unread posts from the last time you visited to the end of your visit. This change was based on the following feedback:
iron in another topic wrote:
on hearth.com, after you become a member and remain logged in, any time you revisit a topic and click on the topic link, it takes you to the place that you stopped reading. for example, if a topic has 43 pages of responses, and you read through page 35, it'll take you back to the end of page 35 the next time you view that topic.
Now when you click on the topic title it will automatically take you to the first unread post if there are posts you haven't read (otherwise it will take you to the first post). You can also click on the topic icon or icon to the left of the topic title (may appear to the right on mobile) to jump to the first unread post. If you prefer to go to the first post you will see a link below the topic title to "revisit" the first post (on mobile click on the topic date). To mark all topics read go to the forum index (or click on the sun icon the top right which displays today's active topics for all forums) and click on [ Mark all forums read ] (just above the list of forums or topics). If you only want to mark a specific forum as read go to the forum and click on [ Mark forum read ] (just above the list of topics). This should also help when viewing the forum on different devices. I found it difficult to keep track of things when switching between mobile and desktop as the post tracking was easily confused. Edit: if you prefer everything marked read at the end of each visit you can select the option in your profile.

Wiki summmary last edited by Tom on Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:21 pm (this post can be edited by any member)
Back to top Reply to topic
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostThu Dec 22, 2016 10:19 am 
Okay. Maybe I am not doing it right. I went to the profile page and checked the box to mark posts automatically read "after each visit". I clicked the Submit button. But when I leave say Trail Talk, go to the Saloon, then come back to Trail Talk, the same threads are still showing unread. So maybe it meant to close out of the Forum entirely and then reopen a tab and re-enter. I tried that and the same threads are showing unread. Does this mean I have to log out of NWHikers for this to work? I have it set up so that I am always signed in. I don't want to have to sign out and in with each visit. Used to be that as I would leave a subject area and return, the threads would mark themselves automatically read. I thought this was the feature that was being brought back. I must be missing a step or it doesn't work for me for some reason. Thanks, ~z Note: I may have figured it out. I am using Mozilla Firefox. Even after leaving NWHikers, I had been keeping a browser window open for my email site. So I decided to close out of Mozilla entirely and voila' I now see that all my posts are marked read. That must be the key. Close out of the browser and when I return it thinks it's a new session. I am sure others can describe it more technically.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Dec 22, 2016 6:37 pm 
I think you are mistaken about how things used to work. A new visit begins after any of the following events occur: - 1 hour of non-activity - closing and re-opening your browser - browsing from a different device or browser - logging out and back in When a new visit begins it will mark everything read thru the end of your last visit if you have selected the option in your profile. The end of your last visit is defined as the last time you clicked on a page (with a 1 minute margin). This is is how things used to work as well. Let me know if it is not working as described.

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostFri Dec 23, 2016 10:32 am 
Tom wrote:
This is is how things used to work as well. Let me know if it is not working as described.
Thank you. Yes, very helpful. I appreciate it. ~z

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSun Mar 19, 2017 6:27 pm 
I made a little easier to go to the first post if you don't want to jump to the first unread post. If you've previously visited a topic (or marked it read) and there are new replies you will see the orange icon before the title indicating there are unread posts and clicking on the title will take you to the first unread post. If you want to go to the first post there will be an option to revisit the first post (below the topic title): Topic Title [ ↩ Post 1 ] This is also useful to differentiate topics (or trip reports) you've already viewed from those you haven't. A trip report you've already viewed will show ↩ below [ ↩ Page 1, 2, 3 ] A trip report you've never viewed won't show ↩ below [ Goto page: 1, 2, 3 ] I also bumped the "new posts" (active topics) display to 1 week (was 1 day) to make it easier to find unread topics you might have missed.