Forum Index > Trip Reports > Hidden Lake Lookout
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostTue Jul 18, 2017 5:33 pm 
( a report on current conditions and some details that most of you already know ) If it weren't for my wife, I would've probably died never visiting this trail. I'm such a trail snob and this is a example of what I'm missing if I continue with this attitude. I avoid almost everything on I90. Any trails I perceive as social media and millennial ( we have 3 millennial children ) "hangouts" But, this is the North Cascades. I've never been disappointed in that neck of the woods. Forest service road is a adventure all by itself. I've been on some trails wider than this road. It's a "hope nobody is coming" type road. Brush up on your reverse and backing up through hairpin turn skills. If you encounter another vehicle coming at you, your gonna need'em. Pullouts are few and far between. One huge rut about 1 mile before the trailhead. A few drivers not willing to risk it and parked just downhill of it. I see trip reports on MailBox Peak all the time. Hidden Lake Lookout just as much during the summer. Ha! Don't expect the same type of parking conditions you get at mailbox. Popularity doesn't equate to generous parking lots. Great trail. First mile and a quarter in through semi-dense forest and then the trail ejects you out into a open valley. Unlike alot of "forest to open terrain" travel where you'd travel through a dense forest, then maybe thinner or dwarf forest, this trail there is absolutely no transition. Spat out into complete daylight and full sunshine. Very cool and this is where the views start and are uninterrupted for the remaining ascent. The valley is currently Jackson Pollock splatter paint colorful. It's absolutely beautiful and just a trip to see the flower show is a well worth it! Trying to capture a image of it does not do it justice. This unique treeless valley only exists because of a very violent winter and spring. Lots of avalanche evidence strewn about on the valley floor. At the head of the valley you reach a classic alpine terrain. Stark beauty. The boulders and slabs are magnificent. How can something that is so void of vegetation be some god damn beautiful. Little snow melt streams and miniature waterfalls are abundant in this section and add a enjoyable water chorus and ambiance. I was slightly ahead of my wife on the ascent and bumped into a couple on their way down. I asked if this was the way to Lake Colchuck. Without pausing he said, "yea, just over the ridge". I said, "Good! Thanks! Cuz my wife thinks we're lost!" I love it when people play along with my stupid jokes. Currently, a few, but manageable snow crossings. Hidden Lake still partially iced over. The trail from the summit base to the summit up to the lookout, is, well... Pay Attention! Put your selfie stick away and wait till you get to the top. Leash your dog ( can't believe folks even attempt that last section of trail with a pooch ) It's snow free, but I don't actually think snow would raise the danger level too much anyway. I honestly hesitated peering up from the summit base. But once you start up the trail, it's not as bad as it looks from below. Still spooky and in my mind, telling myself "don't slip, don't trip, don't step there, concentrate..." Seriously, more nervous than alot of my off trail backcountry travels. biggrin.gif That final ascent would be much safer if it had remained a boulder scramble. The loose scree, pebbles and sand on those narrow ledges ( yes ledges not a trail ) would be safer. I'm probably over exaggerating, but I didn't like it wink.gif Views, on top of views, on top of views. Another area ripe for ridge walking and rambling I'll definitely repeat this one
Dcim\105gopro\Gopr4488.Jpg
Dcim\105gopro\Gopr4488.Jpg
Dcim\105gopro\Gopr4495.Jpg
Dcim\105gopro\Gopr4495.Jpg
Dcim\105gopro\Gopr4500.Jpg
Dcim\105gopro\Gopr4500.Jpg
Dcim\105gopro\Gopr4511.Jpg
Dcim\105gopro\Gopr4511.Jpg
Dcim\105gopro\Gopr4514.Jpg
Dcim\105gopro\Gopr4514.Jpg
Dcim\105gopro\Gopr4515.Jpg
Dcim\105gopro\Gopr4515.Jpg

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
FiresideChats

FiresideChats
PostTue Jul 18, 2017 6:24 pm 
Wow.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostTue Jul 18, 2017 7:19 pm 
Glad you enjoyed it. This has been one of my favorites for a while now, I've repeated it often. You absolutely can get off the beaten path there and find all kinds of cool nooks and crannies.

mbravenboer

mbravenboer
PostWed Jul 19, 2017 1:20 am 
up.gif Glad you had such a good time! This is one of my favorite hikes to do with guests.

awilsondc

awilsondc
PostFri Jul 21, 2017 5:59 pm 
Looks amazing! This one has been on my radar, hope to make it up there soon. I like the Colckuck joke. lol.gif up.gif

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostSun Jul 15, 2018 4:16 pm 
You complained about millenials and their selfie sticks and then posted a dozen photos yourself.

fourteen410

fourteen410
PostSun Jul 15, 2018 5:00 pm 
Bootpathguy wrote:
Leash your dog ( can't believe folks even attempt that last section of trail with a pooch )
Better yet, leave the pooch at home since the last part of the trail is in the national park.

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostTue Jul 17, 2018 12:11 am 
Wow, a lot of melting in the last week!