Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > 'Environmental Nightmare' After Thousands Of Atlantic Salmon Escape Fish Farm 08/24/17
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
altasnob

altasnob
PostSat Dec 10, 2022 10:05 am 
I didn't know about the fish farming on the Columbia River. Looks like it is steelhead trout, not salmon though. But today, there is no fish farming in any salt water in Washington, Oregon, and California, correct? I read that 70% of salmon produced worldwide is farm raised salmon. Norway (55.3%) and Chile (25.4%) are the major producers. Canada is the only country in North America and has 6% of the world market.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSat Dec 10, 2022 11:12 am 
^ That sounds about right. Its a huge industry now. When the price of a piece of Atlantic Salmon filet in Paris is three times what you are paying for the same product at Safeway, they opt for farm-raised Tilapia. All kinds of videos on YouTube on this subject, many of which are rife with half-truths, untruths, and flat-out damn lies. The viewer will need to fact-check most every point raised. That said, if you watch enough of them - say 20 or 30 or 40 hours or so - you start to get a pretty good picture of what's going on globally. It's all about the money - not one of the people involved in the Aquaculture industry gives a damn about the wild resources. Probably the most outrageous - out of all of it - are the shrimp farms in southeast Asia. They've turned their rivers into cesspools in some areas so you can buy shrimp at Safeway for $8.99 a pound. (That also tastes like muddy cardboard.) It also had the effect of significant economic problems for the people there at the bottom end of the socio-economic scale when the rice paddies were converted to shrimp farming. We'll run out of fresh drinking water in about 30 years, according to an internal executive memo that was leaked from the offices of Nestle', so why worry about fish, right? dizzy.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSat Dec 10, 2022 11:40 am 
You are right about the farmed shrimp in Southeast Asia. We recentently came back from a trip there and since Lynda is pescatarian we often have shrimp for a protein source. I have prior experience there and always avoided the Vietnamese shrimp from Costco. I also avoid farm raised fish in general and Basa in particular. The shrimp in Vietnam and Cambodia are often huge and in our opinion inedible. We saw where th shrimp are raised on the Mekong Delta and bays in Northern Vietnam. The water in all cases is grossly polluted and the shrimp taste like dirt. Back in the day there were great shrimp in hood canal but they are gone now. Surprisingly wild caught Gulf shrimp are not bad, but unavailable in the west. Usually we resort to the “wild caught” frozen shrimp from Patagonia. Atlantic Salmon is not salmon but a type of char but makes good lox when smoked. I have friends from Alaska and do not like farmed salmon of any type.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
altasnob

altasnob
PostSat Dec 10, 2022 11:58 am 
Why rip on farmed shrimp in Asia when here in Washington we have nearly eliminated our native oyster population and replaced it with non-native varieties and spray neurotoxins in Willapia bay, which kills all the native sand burrowing shrimp.

IanB
Vegetable Belayer

IanB
Vegetable Belayer
PostMon Dec 12, 2022 9:37 am 
Ski wrote:
The Willapa Bay estuary is, believe it or not, pretty clean when you start looking around at other salt esturaries around the country. WDFW has put great focus on it - there is a LOT of money at stake there with those oyster farms.
You really should check out this book Ski: Toxic Pearl: Pacific Northwest Shellfish Companies' Addiction to Pesticides? by "M. Perle" Native Ghost shrimp burrowing causes the planted oysters to get smothered, so for decades the State has allowed the shellfish companies to spray broad-spectrum pesticides over the bays to control/eradicate the shrimp, and to kill off eel grass too. They also dump huge quantities of gravel into the natural silt to try to stabilize the substrate to support the oysters. It's every bit as bad as any of the other aquaculture methods.

"Forget gaining a little knowledge about a lot and strive to learn a lot about a little." - Harvey Manning
altasnob

altasnob
PostMon Dec 12, 2022 2:29 pm 
I think it's mostly a Willapa Bay issue because the Hood Canal and other inland waters don't have the sand to support the native sand shrimp. Oysters are not native to Willapa bay. The sand shrimp are. But just like people in Norway who feel the need to eradicate their native salmon in favor of farmed aquaculture, we do the same here in Washington when it comes to oysters. https://www.opb.org/news/article/washington-willapa-bay-oysters-ghost-shrimp/

IanB
Vegetable Belayer

IanB
Vegetable Belayer
PostMon Dec 12, 2022 6:39 pm 
Ski wrote:
I know some sort of pathogen killed off our native oyster a century ago - that's why we grow a Japanese oyster here.
The pathogen was Europeans, who harvested them almost to extirpation just like logging old growth. Olympia oysters are slow-growing and less-tolerant of exposure during low tides, so once they were almost gone the Pacific oysters were chosen for stock as they could exploit more of the inter-tidal zone and make for heavier harvests. It was simple greed that both eliminated the Olympias and replaced them with Pacifics. The most egregious behavior by the shellfish companies was in both Grays Harbor and Willapa Bays, but Puget Sound and Hood Canal have also suffered abuses such as trying to exterminate predator species. The book contains stories from South Sound residents finding Moon snails and starfish piled above the tideline and covered in lye. And one other thing about the stuff they were spraying to kill the shrimp is that it targeted all invertebrates so it was also killing off juvenile Dungeness crab!

"Forget gaining a little knowledge about a lot and strive to learn a lot about a little." - Harvey Manning
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue Oct 31, 2023 9:48 am 
https://www.yahoo.com/news/fish-farm-threatens-wreak-havoc-190000265.html

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."