Forum Index > Trail Talk > and yet another grizzly bear attack
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostSat Sep 30, 2017 11:43 pm 
Majority of whom? Minority of whom? These are federal lands in this situation. We are talking about management of federal lands. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSun Oct 01, 2017 8:08 am 
RumiDude wrote:
These are federal lands in this situation. We are talking about management of federal lands.
Oh yes. I am sure the grizzlies, like all the other wildlife, will learn where the boundaries are and NEVER stray from federal lands. Maybe they'll be given maps when they exit the barrel trailers. Or GPS units.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostSun Oct 01, 2017 8:14 am 
do the statistics take into account attacks which do not result in death of the person? do the automobile statistcs show the number of people injured in accidents or just the deaths? are the stats posted weighted to show only deaths?

gb

gb
PostSun Oct 01, 2017 8:47 am 
Relevant statistics: # of deaths

Bernardo

Bernardo
PostSun Oct 01, 2017 5:37 pm 
Let's focus on trying to clarify the facts and accept that some may have different preferences which lead to different choices. For now, I'm not giving the moral high ground to either side. But I do think there are some ethics questions here. Some folks are always complaining about society and mankind and how we messed up the whole world by extirpating grizzlies, etc., and always want to claim the moral high ground when they think up a fix. On the other side, I can see a lot of reasons why requiring everyone to carry bear spray has negative moral costs. Kind of makes me laugh to think this through. The pro-bear side is, "Don't worry, you'll have bear spray." The implication being, because I want bears in this environment, it's ok for me to require you to carry bear spray and put you at risk of attack. Bear spray is kind of like a moral fig leaf. I can understand why some people would say, "No thank you, I like the status quo." I'm not going to denigrate someone who makes that call. But in the mean time, I'm curious as to what the facts really are. I lean against reintroduction, but I'm open to discussing. The 232,000 back country person days per attack statistic comes from the NPS and applies to Yellow Stone. I highlighted it because this is the kind of data that could inform this conversation. I have no idea if this is a valid number but it's the right type of information. For example, it may include data from times when there were much fewer bears. Also, we don't know how many back country person days Yellow Stone has per year. What would the statistic be for off trail solo remote hiking days? We don't know, but it's better than saying don't worry you'll have bear spray. We do know that there aren't that many bears in the continental U.S. (maybe 1,500) and that there are several attacks each year and maybe about one death a year, maybe it's .5. There are 90 million dogs and someone said above 20 deaths. So yes dogs are a bigger threat collectively, but one grizzly in the wild is as lethal as 3,000 dogs who live among us. Grizzly leash laws anyone? Going back to the NPS's 232,000 back country days statistic, I wonder how many days result in an encounter? We really need to know not just the joint probability of an encounter and an attack, but the probability of each of the parts. The key to avoiding attacks is probably avoiding encounters and that has a lot of implications for access. I hope we can continue this interesting conversation. There are obviously a lot of people who aren't going to buy in without more facts. That's smart.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostSun Oct 01, 2017 6:46 pm 
Bernardo wrote:
requiring everyone to carry bear spray
Who suggested that?
Bernardo wrote:
The pro-bear side is, "Don't worry, you'll have bear spray."
No, that is not an accurate description of the "pro-bear" side (whatever that means).
Bernardo wrote:
more facts
What more facts? Anyone who follows NWHikers knows the number grizzly fatalities because you and your allies keep telling us about them. Over and over and over and over. We also know that a good portion of grizzly attack victims are people doing things more risky than a prudent hiker or backpacker would do.

Bernardo

Bernardo
PostSun Oct 01, 2017 7:08 pm 
I just learned this week that the NPS thinks there is one attack per 232,000 back country days. That's something new for maybe everyone here. That fact works in the bear's favor by my assessment. I keep raising the facts issue, however, because the reintroduction plan doesn't contain the most interesting fact. If you encounter a grizzly, how likely is an attack? Also, a lot of the supporting argumention glosses over the fact that there will be attacks and injuries and is mostly emotional appeal. The pro-bear camp seems to want to shut down the discussion. Settled matter. Nothing to see here, move along and all that. DIYSteve, you are a quick learner so I'll grant you some of this may be repetitive, but I mostly am replying to specific posts by other people where a fact or conclusion is disputed. With regard to the bear spray requirement, it was suggested it would be irresponsible to not carry it. Since we are all responsible people here I took that as a diktat.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostSun Oct 01, 2017 7:10 pm 
Bernardo wrote:
If you encounter a grizzly, how likely is an attack?
That begs the definition of "encounter," which was recently defined in one of the numerous bearfear threads to include seeing a bear or the bear seeing you. How could anyone possibly know how many times a bear sees humans? ETA: There is ample evidence that the risk of a grizzly attack can be significantly reduced by taking precautions and, conversely, can be significantly increased by certain conduct, e.g., hanging around fresh kills. You seem to be focused on gross numbers without taking into account the conduct of humans that can increase or decrease the risk. Speaking anecdotally, I have traveled many days in grizzly country, taking due precautions. I had a greater chance of death by lightning strike or a fall.

Bernardo

Bernardo
PostSun Oct 01, 2017 7:25 pm 
Well that's a very good point. I still think we could estimate the number. I feel pretty comfortable that with black bears, the number is pretty low. Grizzlies seem to attack often if they have the chance. If the chance of encountering a grizzly is 1 in 10,000 during a back country day in Yellowstone, then an attack occurs one out of 23 encounters. That's a big number. It would be nice to replace the guesses, however, with data. To your knowledge, did a grizzly ever see you? What happened?

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostSun Oct 01, 2017 7:44 pm 
Bernardo wrote:
Grizzlies seem to attack often if they have the chance.
Nonsense. Wow, you really have a bad case of irrational fear of grizzly bears. Have you ever spent time in grizzly country? Grizzlies have in all likelihood "had the chance" to attack me hundreds of times, but it's never happened.
Bernardo wrote:
To your knowledge, did a grizzly ever see you? What happened?
Yes, at least a dozen times. Each time they glanced at me and went about their business. I have likely been seen hundreds of times by grizzlies without knowing it.

Bernardo

Bernardo
PostSun Oct 01, 2017 7:46 pm 
OK, that's interesting. Glad to hear it. Good night!

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostSun Oct 01, 2017 7:49 pm 
Bernardo wrote:
If the chance of encountering a grizzly is 1 in 10,000 during a back country day in Yellowstone, then an attack occurs one out of 23 encounters.
You too can play Bernardo's Fun With Numbers!
Bernardo wrote:
That's a big number.
No, that's making up sh## out of whole cloth

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSun Oct 01, 2017 8:27 pm 

gb

gb
PostSun Oct 01, 2017 8:31 pm 
Bernardo, rather then fly off the cuff, why not look up Bear/Human statistics from Stephen Herrero. Everything you wonder about is covered in many of Herrero's studies. Most human encounters have to do with improperly stored food either in the backcountry or at cabins and they don't involve attacks or injuries. I've read several of his studies myself because I want to be aware of reality not stuck in hyperbole. You are making a large amount of smoke. Also what is the moral issue of carrying bearspray? It's a no brainer.

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostSun Oct 01, 2017 8:34 pm 
Bernardo wrote:
But I do think there are some ethics questions here.
I don't think this is a moral question at all.
Bernardo wrote:
For now, I'm not giving the moral high ground to either side.
There is no moral high ground. It isn't trying to claim any moral high ground because it isn't a moral question. Pointing out that it was human behavior in the form of hunting and habitat loss that caused the extirpation of grizzly bears in Washington State is simply stating a fact. And for the record, I am not intolerant of people who don't agree with me. However I am intolerant of carping and self-centered argumentation. And to demonstrate my good will in this thread I have deleted the post you deem inappropriate.
Bernardo wrote:
On the other side, I can see a lot of reasons why requiring everyone to carry bear spray has negative moral costs. Kind of makes me laugh to think this through. The pro-bear side is, "Don't worry, you'll have bear spray." The implication being, because I want bears in this environment, it's ok for me to require you to carry bear spray and put you at risk of attack. Bear spray is kind of like a moral fig leaf.
I have no idea where you got this idea from what I wrote. This is a strawman argument.
Bernardo wrote:
Going back to the NPS's 232,000 back country days statistic, I wonder how many days result in an encounter? We really need to know not just the joint probability of an encounter and an attack, but the probability of each of the parts.
There is much we are never going to know because we can't get into the decision making process of individual bears. Individual bears may avoid contact or not depending on a wide variety of reasons we cannot get at. We can know many things that mitigate the chances of being harmed which many agencies and experts have listed as good practices when traveling in grizzly bear country. it would behoove people to heed these suggestions just as they would heed the suggestions of the Ten Essentials. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."