seeker
PostSun Oct 01, 2017 8:59 pm 
RandyHiker wrote:
lol.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Bernardo

Bernardo
PostSun Oct 01, 2017 9:17 pm 
Thanks for the tip GB! I just ordered my copy of Herroro's seminal work, "Bear Attacks: Their Causes and Avoidance." Apparently, he gets into the gory details of a lot of gruesome attacks. I'm going to devour that book quicker than a grizzly would pounce on hiker standing by a cadaver.

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostSun Oct 01, 2017 9:21 pm 
Bernardo wrote:
DIYSteve, you are a quick learner so I'll grant you some of this may be repetitive, but I mostly am replying to specific posts by other people where a fact or conclusion is disputed. With regard to the bear spray requirement, it was suggested it would be irresponsible to not carry it. Since we are all responsible people here I took that as a diktat.
Here is what I wrote about bear spray: "Most people attacked and killed by grizzly bears did not have bear spray. Most of us would not attempt climbing Mt Rainier without having the requisite gear and training. Most of us would not go backpacking/hiking without the 10 Essentials. Most of us would not go backcountry skiing without some avalanche education. And the same should apply to traveling in grizzly bear territory, we should use good practices, carry bear spray and know how to use it. By doing these things we can go a long way to mitigating any encounter with a grizzly bear." There are many people who don't take bear spray when hiking in grizzly bear country. There are also lots of people who don't take map and compass (or any other navigation aids) when backpacking. There are people who travel directly above others when ascending or descending a talus slope. There are people who don't carry a first aid kit in the backcountry. There is no "requirement" about any of these things. But every-once-in-a-while these actions come to bite some people, sometimes with tragic results. As a another example which may have parallels to this grizzly discussion, let us consider the deer tick and Lyme disease. There are several suggestions by the CDC to help prevent acquiring Lyme disease. It is probably advisable to follow these suggestions if you are traveling in heavy deer tick areas in order to avoid getting Lyme disease. It is not a guarantee, but it greatly reduces your chances of getting Lyme disease. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostSun Oct 01, 2017 9:31 pm 
Not sure if it's rational or not but ticks worry me way more than griZz in Washington in my lifetime. They're here and the range seems to be expanding so we may be heading for what's already harkened back east. I know more than one person in New England who's life has changed due tick borne disease. People who took the standard precautions.

Bernardo

Bernardo
PostSun Oct 01, 2017 9:39 pm 
Rumidude, I think I get and appreciate what you are trying to say. My point was that putting these bears into our environment will have a cost. People should carry the spray and at some point, someone is going to have to use it. That's not something anyone wants anyone to experience, but that's part of the deal. For some people that possibility is a deal breaker. Not for everyone, maybe not for most people, but for some. I'll just mention in passing that another cost for me is that more people will carry firearms because not everyone will buy into the effectiveness of the sprays. Don't know how to evaluate that cost now however. I probably owe some others a reply, but that may have to wait until I read my new book. In meantime, anyone should feel free to suggest better numbers if they don't like mine. I am going to edit my prior post which is now moot.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSun Oct 01, 2017 10:55 pm 
Bears and people can coexist, they have for thousands of years. All one can do is to be prepared, be aware, and respect their territory. If fate dictates that you are eaten by a bear, so be it. Fear strikes out. I am on the fence as to grizzly re-introduction into their previous areas, not an easy choice, there are good arguments for both sides, much like the wolf re-introduction issue. However, I for one would hate to see either species disappear so..

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Oct 02, 2017 7:56 am 
^ grizzly bears are not in any danger of disappearing. nor are wolves.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostMon Oct 02, 2017 8:10 am 
joker wrote:
Not sure if it's rational or not but ticks worry me way more than griZz in Washington in my lifetime.
That's manifestly rational

texasbb
Misplaced Texan

texasbb
Misplaced Texan
PostMon Oct 02, 2017 8:40 am 
DIYSteve wrote:
joker wrote:
Not sure if it's rational or not but ticks worry me way more than griZz in Washington in my lifetime.
That's manifestly rational
Absolutely. I think ticks are by far the most dangerous predator most of us will ever encounter. Don't mess around with ticks. I laugh (intellectually) at people afraid of Permethrin. If ever there was an easy risk analysis... Now if someone would just invent Bearmethrin. smile.gif

Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostMon Oct 02, 2017 9:36 am 
texasbb wrote:
Now if someone would just invent Bearmethrin. smile.gif
Awesome idea!...and a great brand name.

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostMon Oct 02, 2017 10:41 am 
Ski wrote:
^ grizzly bears are not in any danger of disappearing. nor are wolves.
This is on the internet so it must be true. rolleyes.gif

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Oct 02, 2017 11:07 am 
well... if you bother to look at something other than the "Defenders of Wildlife" website, you'll find that there are plenty of both grizzly bears and wolves in Canada and Alaska. just because there aren't very many here in Washington State doesn't mean they're in any imminent danger of "disappearing".

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostMon Oct 02, 2017 11:45 am 
True Ski, but imho they need proponents as well, since there are plenty of people who want them to "disappear".

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostMon Oct 02, 2017 11:51 am 
The issue is not whether grizzly bears are "disappearing," whatever that means. IMV the issue is fear, both uninformed irrational fear of a remote risk (if you take proper precautions) and peddling fear to push an agenda.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Oct 02, 2017 12:14 pm 
^ good point, and there certainly is no shortage of fear, is there? on the flip side, I kind of wonder about the validity of some arguments pushing for reintroduction. where has it been established and documented that the North Cascades ecosystem is less than "healthy", and by what metric is that being measured? my reservations about reintroduction (actually "translocation", in this particular instance) are not so much about "fear" as they are concerns about the expenditures of public resources used to achieve some nebulous "goal" that may or may not ever be achieved, as seems to be exactly what's happening with the wolf here in Washington State. == and Chief Joseph: there are no shortage of "proponents" when it comes to wolves and grizzly bears; those are both huge generators of cash contributions to organizations like "Defenders of Wildlife".