Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Top Gun?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostFri Nov 17, 2017 11:00 am 
The need for speed takes on a different shape. Naughty Navy

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Nov 17, 2017 12:51 pm 
Hey, remind me to take seriously arguments about "they need to practice" next time I bring up the issue of the military jet aircraft noise that goes on all day long up above Olympic National Park.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSat Nov 18, 2017 9:30 am 
Seems consistent with the stereotype of fighter pilot personally. I don't think it's a BFD. With today's aircraft that are designed to fire their missiles before enemy aircraft are within visual range -- I'm not sure how essential "dogfighting" skills remain.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostMon Nov 20, 2017 5:25 pm 
Surprisingly, dog fight skills are still highly sought after. Your idea was long thought to be true when missiles showed up, seemingly making dogfighting obsolete. But missile hits are harder to achieve than thought, at least against fast movers, and there are well known and effective tactics and methods for evading missiles. During Vietnam it turned out that dog fight skills still made a huge number of kills, and missile kill rates were much lower than expected due to a number of factors. So after review, they put dog fighting back in the pilot curriculum, with one result being the famous Top Gun schools. As a result, most modern fighters do have a gun, though now cannon rounds (explosive) are the norm as are the rotary style high rate guns. Even the F22 packs a rotary cannon, just in case. Just in case...

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Pyrites

Pyrites
PostMon Nov 20, 2017 8:39 pm 
Maybe unit commander should require these guys (I’m confident) to take three quarters of either art or art history class.

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
Pyrites

Pyrites
PostMon Nov 20, 2017 8:41 pm 
Ski wrote:
Hey, remind me to take seriously arguments about "they need to practice" next time I bring up the issue of the military jet aircraft noise that goes on all day long up above Olympic National Park.
Yeah. It is obvious at tens of thousands per hour of flight they don’t have much to really do.

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon Nov 20, 2017 9:56 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
During Vietnam it turned out that dog fight skills still made a huge number of kills, and missile kill rates were much lower than expected due to a number of factors
Using Vietnam era technology as a yardstick for the current state of affairs of fighter aircraft and missile technology isn't a particularly relevant comparison. Computing power used for such things as missile guidance is roughly 4 billion times more than what was available in 1970. When dogfights are conducted between F-35s and F-15s the F-15 crews are already targeted before they even detect the F-35

FiveNines

FiveNines
PostTue Nov 21, 2017 12:29 am 
Switching to guns Mav.

AR

AR
PostSat Dec 09, 2017 6:54 pm 
Not even close to the biggest cock in these lands.

...wait...are we just going to hang here or go hiking?