Forum Index > Trip Reports > Anderson Mtn 3364 ft, 3024P (USGS Lake Whatcom) 1/27/2018
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot
PostTue Jan 30, 2018 1:36 am 
Date: 1/27/2018 Destination: Anderson Mtn 3364ft, 3024P (USGS Lake Whatcom) The weather was cloudy, rainy, and high avalanche danger, so I decided to do a lowland peak that wouldn't be scenic in good weather anyway, but does have a surprising 3000 feet of prominence. I asked several friends if they would like to join me for a trip that would be almost entirely road walking in cold wet cloudy weather. I promised them it would probably be a memorably miserable trip. They declined. I found good trail information for Anderson on pnt.org, the web site for the Pacific Northwest Trail, which chains together a continuous route from the Pacific Coast to the Rocky Mountains. Anderson is near the west end of Section 7 of the PNT. At places like Anderson, volunteers have marked a path up and down both sides of the peak, using white squares on trees or ribbons at road junctions. I went from the east side, starting from Hwy 9. The trail starts where a logging road turns off of Hwy 9 at about milepost 64.5, about 7 miles north of Sedro Wooley. A big sign declares "Non-Motorized Access Only. Gate may be locked at any time." I had hoped for cooler temperatures to produce snow rather than rain at higher elevations. Alas, my car thermometer read 48 degrees at the trailhead, so I knew it'd be rain all the way. The upper mountain was hidden in clouds, but everything lower looked very warm and bare. I considered leaving my snowshoes, but decided to lug them along anyway in there was deeper snow lurking somewhere above.
Anderson Mtn GPS Track
Anderson Mtn GPS Track
PNT Anderson Map
PNT Anderson Map
"Trailhead Sign"
"Trailhead Sign"
The main pieces of the hike were these: For the first 3 miles, I hiked up the main logging road, surrounded by partially regrown clear cuts. A bike would be better for this part. Intermittent drizzle kept me company. At 2140 feet, ribbons and a blue arrow marked the turn right onto a lesser road. From here on, the roads had a soggy snow cover, and my snowshoes made walking a lot easier. Stronger rain tried to soak through my clothes. At 2680 feet, I went straight uphill to connect to a higher road. The forest here was mature second growth, relatively decent to walk through. At 2900 feet, I reached the next road, went left through a new clearcut to the ridge crest, and then right up the ridgetop road toward the summit. The rain decreased as the wind blew harder. Just before the summit, a wide pond blocks the road. Right before the pond, turn left and follow orange ribbons uphill 200 feet to the summit. A strong west wind was blowing over the top. I was glad I hadn't come up that side. The view consisted solely of clouds and wind.
Junction at 2140 feet
Junction at 2140 feet
My break to drink some tea and switch to dry gloves
My break to drink some tea and switch to dry gloves
Back on the ridgetop road, I found a remarkably calm area for a break and cup of tea. For the hike down, there wasn't any more rain. Going down, I cut one switchback through thinned second growth (lots of small stumps and trunks). Lower down, there was too much brush in the newer clearcuts, so I stayed on the road. Thankfully, there was no more rain on the way down. Round trip stats: 12.8 miles, 3200 gain, 5:45 hours I expected this trip to be mostly a long road walk in cold wet cloudy windy weather. My expectation was not disappointed. Regardless, there were surprisingly many ways that this trip was a success: I got out of town and got plenty of exercise. That alone was worthwhile given the conditions. I came prepared with the right clothes for the rain and wind. The PNT info helped me find the right route at every turn. I made the right decision to bring along my snowshoes. I got to visit a new summit. I visited a peak that manages 3024 feet of prominence in only 3364 of elevation.

“As beacons mountains burned at evening.” J.R.R. Tolkien
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue Jan 30, 2018 1:50 am 
I have been in that area twice and really want to explore it further, especially the Anderson lakes and beyond, thanks for the report. Your determination in getting out in less than stellar conditions reminds me of when I was addicted to motorcycle trail riding, mainly at Walker Valley. I had two days off each week, and nearly both days, rain or shine, I was up there riding, usually alone. Once I ever forgot my boots and still rode, albeit more carefully. Nowadays I like to stagger my obsessions.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
rossb

rossb
PostWed Jan 31, 2018 8:46 am 
Chief Joseph wrote:
I have been in that area twice and really want to explore it further, especially the Anderson lakes and beyond, thanks for the report.
Are you thinking of Anderson Butte or Anderson Mountain? The confusion is understandable. Anderson Butte is a fairly popular summertime trail, and if memory serves, the road may work for cross country skiing in the winter. Anderson Lakes are nearby. Anderson Mountain is a fairly obscure peak, despite the local prominence. There is no official trail to it. My guess is only a handful of people go up there each year. Sounds like a great choice if you want to explore something different (with a fair amount of solitude). There are a few lakes nearby, but none up high, and none named Anderson (that I can tell). Both are in the North Cascades, although Anderson Mountain might be considered a foothill (although at 3,334 feet, a mighty big one). I have been to Anderson Butte a few times (it is a very nice hike) but never Anderson Butte. Question for Matt: Is it forested up top, or more open? In other words, if the weather was nice, would you have had a view, or would you be looking mostly at trees?

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot
PostWed Jan 31, 2018 9:38 am 
rossb is correct about the distinction between Anderson Butte (fairly popular for trail hiking and for skiing the road in winter, with Anderson & Watson lakes nearby) and accessed from the Baker Lake Road, and Anderson Mtn, which is a lowland peak about 7 miles north of Sedro Wooley. The top of Anderson Mtn is mostly forested, with a bit of views to the west. There are some views from clearcuts on the way up either side.

“As beacons mountains burned at evening.” J.R.R. Tolkien
rossb

rossb
PostWed Jan 31, 2018 9:44 am 
Thanks

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Jan 31, 2018 10:57 am 
Thanks for the clarification.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostTue Mar 27, 2018 8:11 pm 
There is also access from the west through forest via the good PNT and some stretches of low or no traffic gravel and dirt roads. During times when the DNR has the gate open, you can drive to within 1/2 mile of the top. But what fun is that, anyway? Here's a link to some additional info.

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still
brewermd

brewermd
PostMon Apr 02, 2018 8:02 am 
If you take the west gate entrance up the PNT from the CCC Road you can avoid the first part of the road walk by taking a little known trail that connects with the road about 100 ft from where the official trail leaves the road. You can find this trail by going about 1000 ft (distance) from the gate to the gravel pit. Pass through that area and watch for the trail entrance on right a few hundred feet beyond.