Previous :: Next Topic
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostTue May 22, 2018 12:01 pm 
Ski wrote:
A few years ago I started drying it out a bit first before packing:
Yep, it really works well. I use my dehydrator on the lowest setting which is 95*F. I grate it pretty course also. Basque shepherds used to dry slices of cheese to take with them while herding. Of course, they just let it sit out and dry, then wrapped it in cloth. Bread, cheese, bottle of wine, probably some dried meat as well ... I think they know how to do it right. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Navy salad

Navy salad
PostTue May 22, 2018 4:34 pm 
For those of you who like Feta cheese, it is one of the few cheeses that dehydrates well. Once it's dry on the surface, I generally run it through the food processor to break it up, then dry a little longer. It turns out like a cheese powder, but once added to food (like soups or whatever) it tastes just like feta.

Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostThu May 24, 2018 12:49 pm 
Mmmmmm...feta would be good on any pasta dish!

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon May 28, 2018 5:07 pm 
I came up with a brilliant idea last night in my sleep. Instead of conventional glass, one could use thinly sliced cheese for windowpanes. You'd have to slice it very thin to allow light to pass through, and obviously white cheeses would probably work better than darker yellow cheeses. Monterey Jack or Harvarti might be good choices, but I think perhaps a white American cheese might be the best choice. This is one of those "killing two birds with one stone" things - if you were hungry you could just eat your windows. Happy Memorial Day!
Spirit of Liberty
Spirit of Liberty

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Vluch

Vluch
PostWed May 30, 2018 2:15 am 
I carry cheese all the time won't hike without it all kinds of cheese even cream cheese. Cheese has the best flavor at room temp. Now having got that off my chest (again). Try a smoked cheddar that won't get oily or super-soft, goes good on a sandwich with just about anything even peanut butter, and is really good at the end of the day with scotch.

forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostThu Jun 21, 2018 8:02 pm 
costco has the 2 yr. aged white cheddaa... and u can get the 3 yr. at qfc I think!!...lasts 3-4 days no problem.. up.gif up.gif

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Oct 05, 2018 3:34 pm 
just went up to "Big Lots" to pick up a couple things and they have "Cracker Top" Smoked Gouda (6 ounce) again for $2.80. (it's one of those "sometimes they have it, sometimes they don't" items.) unless I'm mistaken, that beats TJ's price, and it holds up fairly well in a pack for a few days if it's not too hot out. up.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Bernardo

Bernardo
PostSun Oct 07, 2018 3:57 pm 
If you all like cheese on the trail, how about yogurt? There are recipes for mixing up a little yogurt with water and powdered milk to keep fresh supply going. You mix it up in the morning and you've got yogurt by dinner or for the next morning. I tried it one day and it was good.