Forum Index > Trip Reports > Mount Steel 6/20-21/2018
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
awilsondc

awilsondc
PostSat Jun 23, 2018 2:10 pm 
I had a day in a half in the middle of the week and decided to climb Mount Steel in the Olympic Mountains. The forecast was all over the place from 50% chance rain, down to 20%, then up to 75% the day of the trip. I made sure to bring rain gear and headed to Staircase after I got off work at 12:30. The road to staircase was crawling with teenagers. I mean seriously crowded, I've never seen it that bad. Traffic was slow, but I was on the trail by 2:45. I had the ambitious goal of a summit bivy but I knew I'd have to hike as fast as I could to make it to the summit before sunset. The trail is easy for the first 10 miles to nine stream, basically flat... there were some lovely water features along the trail. I should have taken more pictures, but I was on a mission. Camp Pleasant, which is aptly named, was probably the most scenic part of the trail. I made it to nine stream in about 2 1/2 hours.
Lovely water features the whole trail up!
Lovely water features the whole trail up!
Trail washout
Trail washout
It was a quarter to six when I got to the nine stream crossing and the water was high. There was no easy way across without a ford. I hopped on some rocks upstream trying to find a way across with no luck. I was tempted to tight rope walk across a couple skinny trees that were 5-8 feet above the creek but thought better of it. I explored downstream without any luck either. Finally back at the trail I spotted logs across the deep part, but they were under ~4 inches water due to the late day flow. I pulled out my waterproof boots and carefully made my way across the pile of small logs to reach the other side. It took about 30 minutes to find the way across and really stalled my momentum. The trail started gaining elevation right after the crossing and up through two bear camp to first divide there were several downed trees, some challenging to get across. Intermittent snow patches started at 3800 ft, much lower than expected, but navigation wasn't too tough. When the trail goes east towards first divide, I went NW looking for a camp site. It was getting late and I projected I would reach the summit right about sunset so I opted to camp near the base of the route and summit in the morning so I could enjoy the last couple hours of light. There was no sign of the "75% chance of rain showers" and the evening was quite nice with clear skies.
First mountain views!
First mountain views!
Mountain view from the trail
Mountain view from the trail
Evening with Mount Elk Lick (right)
Evening with Mount Elk Lick (right)
Sunset
Sunset
It was warm that night. The only layer I needed the whole trip was a quarter zip long sleeve base layer over my t-shirt. I set my alarm for 3:50 so I could summit and be back in town for a family event at 6 that night. 3:50 came early and I hit snooze a couple times. I was on my way by 4:37am. As soon as I dropped down into the meadow below Mount Steel the trip really started to get good. The meadow, which was still covered in snow, was just lovely and there were several waterfalls cascading down the half melted out east face of Mount Steel. Picturesque, serene, and enchanting, I was starting to get stoked. The sun rose near Mount Elk Lick as I ascended through game trails to reach a snow field.
Mount Steel meadows in the morning
Mount Steel meadows in the morning
Mount Steel waterfall
Mount Steel waterfall
Sunrise
Sunrise
Sunrise and Mount Hopper
Sunrise and Mount Hopper
The snow was still soft. I wore crampons for awhile before taking them off because they weren't needed. Ice axe was handy. I ascended snow until near the saddle where I transitioned to steep grass. A wall of snow guarded the saddle which I bypassed to climbers left. Reaching the saddle and looking over to the west was a WOW moment for sure.
Saddle guardian
Saddle guardian
Mount Steel south summit and North Fork Skokomish River valley
Mount Steel south summit and North Fork Skokomish River valley
Mount Steel summit
Mount Steel summit
Clouds nestled into the North Fork Skokomish River valley along with golden hour light really added to the scenery. I could have really used a mountain goat or person standing on this knob. I wonder if anyone has ever set foot there? Doubtful.
North Fork Skokomish River valley
North Fork Skokomish River valley
The summit was incredible. One of the best I've been to in the Olympics. I really has a remote feel to it. The peak is on an island surrounded by river valleys and towering peaks from Anderson and Olympus to Constance and The Brothers. I couldn't find a summit register which was a bummer, and I'm glad I didn't lug all my gear up to the summit because the bivy spot was still under snow. I hung out and ate food while admiring the views for a good 75 minutes. I was actually a little sad when I had to leave, but I had a long way to go to get back to town in time.
These views...
These views...
Looking out at LaCrosse Basin and Mount Anderson
Looking out at LaCrosse Basin and Mount Anderson
Mount Anderson
Mount Anderson
Olympus and Hart Lake
Olympus and Hart Lake
Mount Duckabush.  This peak has zero registered ascents on Peak Bagger.  Somebody needs to climb it!
Mount Duckabush. This peak has zero registered ascents on Peak Bagger. Somebody needs to climb it!
The Brothers
The Brothers
Warrior, Inner Constance, Mount Constance
Warrior, Inner Constance, Mount Constance
Conditions were fantastic for standing glissading on the way down. The snow was just soft enough and the angle of the face was absolutely perfect. All I had to do was relax my legs and angle my feet slightly and it was like riding an escalator down the mountain with almost zero effort. I had two ~700 foot sections of this and it was probably the easiest most relaxed standing glissading I've ever done. The meadow was even better passing though on the way down. I reached camp and packed up for the long hike back. The nine stream crossing was much easier in the morning and I switched back to trail runners for the last 10 miles out, the final hour of which seemed to really drag on. It was a great trip, I'm really surprised how much I liked this peak. It definitely exceeded my expectations.
More Mount Steel waterfalls
More Mount Steel waterfalls
White Mountain and the Mount Steel basin
White Mountain and the Mount Steel basin
Sun through the trees
Sun through the trees
Trio
Trio
Mount Steel from camp
Mount Steel from camp
~28 miles and 6k elevation gain (just estimates, I didn't keep track)

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
reststep

reststep
PostSat Jun 23, 2018 4:51 pm 
That is a beautiful area. Thanks for the great report and pictures. There is a nice view of Hart Lake and LaCrosse Basin from up there.

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
ozzy
The hard way

ozzy
The hard way
PostSun Jun 24, 2018 12:03 am 
Nice summit dude! I was just on cub peak on thursday and got above the inversion. The Olympics are extra beautiful right now! cheers.gif

“I don’t know what’s gonna happen, but I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames”-Mr Mojo Risin
silence

silence
PostSun Jun 24, 2018 6:35 am 
We've spent much time in that area and always dreamed of climbing Steel ... too late now for us, but you confirmed what we thought it would be like. Thanks for such a wonderful trail report and beautiful photos. And, so happy that you had such a magical and memorable experience. up.gif up.gif up.gif My favorite shot of Steel, July 4, 2010 backpack
Mt Steel (aka The Wave)
Mt Steel (aka The Wave)

PHOTOS FILMS Keep a good head and always carry a light bulb. – Bob Dylan
awilsondc

awilsondc
PostSun Jun 24, 2018 10:32 am 
reststep wrote:
There is a nice view of Hart Lake and LaCrosse Basin from up there.
I've always wanted to visit LaCrosse Basin. It was cool to finally see the area in person at least. Next time I have a few days for a trip in the Olympics, that one is going to be high on the list. Maybe I'll see if I can climb Duckabush too, that mountain must be so lonely! lol
ozzy wrote:
Nice summit dude! I was just on cub peak on thursday and got above the inversion. The Olympics are extra beautiful right now! cheers.gif
For sure. This time of year when there is still a lot of snow but it is melting out in huge patches leaving a mottled pattern on the landscape is some of my favorite scenery. I just love it!
silence wrote:
My favorite shot of Steel, July 4, 2010 backpack
Mt Steel (aka The Wave)
Mt Steel (aka The Wave)
That really does look like a wave! Quite a bit more snow up there that year. We have our abnormally warm May and June (which is trending more towards the norm...) to thank for that. I was pretty happy with the conditions though. I don't think I could have asked for better.

silence

silence
PostSun Jun 24, 2018 12:32 pm 
Yeah, that was a heavy year ... we hit solid snow before 2 bear. Up on First Divide we met a "now" good friend around 2 pm who was on his way to Marmot Lake (his annual snow trek on foot). He had a nice long glissade from the pass and made it to the lake that day. Duckabush is a lonely one ... Bremerton John, who also manages the Olympic Mountains Climbing Guide (or at least did), climbed it the next year, as well as Steel and several other peaks, including Anderson in one trip. If you use the search word Duckabush on CascadeClimbers.com you can see his full TR and pix. Trip: Olympics - Various - August 21-28 - Hamma-Hamma to Dosi Date: 8/21/2011 Trip Report: Mike, Julie, Kevin, Terry, Tony and I did an 8 day trip into the Olympics August 21-28. It was a great way to celebrate my 40th birthday with a good group of friends. We entered via the Putvin trail, pas Lake of the Angels and camped above Hagen Lake (night 1). Next day was the only crap weather day, fog and drizzle while X-country over Stonesthrow and Hopper down to First Divide, making camp at Home Sweet Home (night 2). Next day was sunny again, so up and over Mt Steel, down and across to Marmot Lake where we spent the next 3 nights. The following days were climbs of Duckabush, BUmbershoot, O'Neil and Overlook Peak, and explorations of the Heart Lake and Lacrosse Basin. Then it was on to climb White Mountain, encountering a herd of elk while en route, then after summiting, crossing over Anderson Pass to camp on East Anderson's shoulder (night 6). Next day it was up route 2 of Anderson, down the Eel where we met up with friends Jim and Eileen, then over for an ascent of West Peak (3 of our group ascended West Peak - Tony, Jim and Terry). Tony and I went back up and over the main summit of Anderson and down route 2 to return to camp at 10pm. Kevin, Terry and Jim returned via Echo col and made it to camp an hour earlier. Hiked out the Dosi next day (Sunday the 28th). Fabulous trip. Here are a bunch of photos. Duckabush from above Hart Lake on our Sept, 2012 backpack
So hard to part ways ... one last shot of Mt Duckabush ... reflecting in a tarn near Hart Lake
So hard to part ways ... one last shot of Mt Duckabush ... reflecting in a tarn near Hart Lake
Mt Steel from the same trip
Mt Steel
Mt Steel

Tomlike

Tomlike
PostMon Jun 25, 2018 8:25 am 
awesome report! too bad you didn't see the register, maybe it was still under snow? I spent the night up there back in 2012, would be interesting to see how many people have been up since. I was also surprised at how excellent the view was!

silence

silence
PostMon Jun 25, 2018 9:20 am 
There was a sighting of Fay Pullen in the area in Apr, 2016

RodF

RodF
PostMon Jun 25, 2018 11:37 am 
Fabulous views. Thanks for sharing!

"of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt" - John Muir "the wild is not the opposite of cultivated. It is the opposite of the captivated” - Vandana Shiva
awilsondc

awilsondc
PostMon Jun 25, 2018 7:00 pm 
Tomlike wrote:
awesome report! too bad you didn't see the register, maybe it was still under snow? I spent the night up there back in 2012, would be interesting to see how many people have been up since. I was also surprised at how excellent the view was!
I read your report several times in preparation for the trip. I must admit I balked a little when you said the views from Steel were some of the best in the park, but I'm a believer now! I was totally bummed I couldn't find the register. Summit registers for seldom climbed and remote peaks are my favorite. The summit was mostly melted out, so I'm not sure what happeded to it. It was looking a bit weathered between your 2012 trip and Gimpilator's 2014 trip so maybe it got soggy and somebody brought it down?
Tomlike wrote:
Gimpilator wrote:
Fay Pullen register
Fay Pullen register

RAW-dad

RAW-dad
PostWed Jun 27, 2018 4:05 am 
Great TR! Many years ago, I climbed Mt Steel (on by birthday smile.gif )with similar conditions including fog in the valleys. I had the same thought about the knob to the south and some of the other satellite bumps. I’m sure somebody has done them - too tantalizing!