Forum Index > Trip Reports > Daemon Peak 7514’ (North Cascades, Pasayten Wilderness)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent

Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent
PostSat Jul 07, 2018 7:30 pm 
With time off from work for several days, I looked at several multi-day peakbagging possibilities and decided on Daemon Peak located in the western side of Pasayten Wilderness. Daemon Peak is the unofficial name most recognized for a seldom climbed mountain located northeast of Devils Pass. The peak has 7514’ elevation with 2194’ clean prominence, good enough to be the 112th-most prominent peak in Washington. With presumed favorable weather and route conditions, as well as the same summit objective, Paul M. joined me for this adventure. We left the Canyon Creek TH (1900’) by 9:00 AM. Knowing that we had all day to get to our intended camp, we took our time to enjoy the weather and scenery. After two creek crossings, we started heading up the heavily switchbacked Jackita Ridge Trail. Within two miles, we passed an official “Pasayten Wilderness” sign. Within four miles, we took a break at a small stream marking the trail junction with the Crater Mountain Trail (5250’). Soon, we were walking through McMillan Park, a mostly forested trek that contained some nice meadows and peek-a-boo views of nearby hills and peaks.
Nice wilderness area (& sign)
Nice wilderness area (& sign)
Crossing a stream...
Crossing a stream...
Early peek-a-boo views
Early peek-a-boo views
Within seven miles, we reached the USFS Snow Survey Shelter (5840’) marking the entrance to Devils Park. This was my second visit to Devils Park and the shelter. I knew from my prior visit to the area that this would be a scenic route and was one of the determining factors for me wanting to go this approach. After a rest stop at the shelter and socializing with some local hikers, we continued on our trek. As we hiked across Devils Park, we were in awe of the views. However, the sun was blazing and the meadows made the terrain very hot. As the trail ascended higher along Jackita Ridge, we were presented with spectacular views of the surrounding area, especially of nearby Crater Mountain and Jack Mountain. We reached the highest point of Jackita Ridge Trail (6800’) and then descended to an open area on the rib at 6750’, where we setup camp. Our camp was only nine miles from the trailhead, with approximately eight miles further to get to the peak; we discussed going further on the route but decided against it due to lugging enough gear for several days and not wanting to then take that gear down the next section of trail, a steep 700’ descent. Plus, our campsite had spectacular views of mountains, especially Crater Mountain and Jack Mountain; we could even see the water of the northernmost Jerry Lakes.
Approaching Devils Park Shelter...
Approaching Devils Park Shelter...
Crossing Devils Park
Crossing Devils Park
Hiking to the the trail highpoint...
Hiking to the the trail highpoint...
Looking back from trail highpoint...
Looking back from trail highpoint...
Snowy gully ahead...
Snowy gully ahead...
Crater & Jack from camp
Crater & Jack from camp
We woke up very early the next morning to clouds and light drizzle. We had expected a weather pattern like that to pass through, so we waited until 6:45 AM before continuing our adventure. The “crux” of the entire trip happened right away; making a 30’ long snow step track across a steep gully slope, followed by a steep descent down a path through scree and snow. After a while, the trail goes around a rib and descends several hundred feet to what I call the Middle Fork of Devils Creek. After a stop to fill water, the trail then re-ascends nearly the same amount of elevation to redo a similar ridge traverse on the other side. Once atop the next rib, we got our first view of Daemon Peak in the distance and the drizzle stopped. After passing across the next rib, our reward was to drop 1100’ to the North Fork of Devils Creek (5100’). Knowing that the trail would then immediately re-ascend the amount of elevation that we just lost (sound familiar?!), we decided to take a nice snack and water break at the creek crossing. As the trail steeply ascended into forest near the creek, we encountered a couple of ladies who found a nice campsite. A short while later, we passed a campsite large enough for a big group… but nobody was there on this day. The creek had a small waterfall at one point, which added a nice contrast to the area. By the time the trail turned north towards Devils Pass, we were deep in the North Fork Devils Creek valley.
Paul enjoys the campsite views!
Paul enjoys the campsite views!
Summit day begins!
Summit day begins!
Paul, beyond the snow crux
Paul, beyond the snow crux
At Middle Fork Devils Creek
At Middle Fork Devils Creek
Rainbow near Jack Mountain
Rainbow near Jack Mountain
First view of Deamon Peak
First view of Deamon Peak
Entering a nice flowery meadow
Entering a nice flowery meadow
North Fork Devils Creek valley
North Fork Devils Creek valley
Steep forest trail beyond creek
Steep forest trail beyond creek
Nice small waterfall
Nice small waterfall
Paul, with Jackita Ridge
Paul, with Jackita Ridge
We just went over that ridge!
We just went over that ridge!
As the trail skirted along the northwestern slopes of Jackita Ridge, we were once again rewarded with great views, now opening up towards the Chilliwack Range. Along this stretch of trail, we passed a very old junction with the Anacortes Crossing Trail. We eventually reached Devils Pass (6050’), near which we got perhaps our best (and close-up) view of the day of Daemon Peak. We were soon at the trail junction (6120’) with Devils Ridge Trail, from which we could have headed due north up a ridge that connects to Daemon Peak but instead opted to head east along Devils Ridge Trail to eliminate extra cumulative gain.
Heading to Devils Pass...
Heading to Devils Pass...
Great view of Daemon Peak
Great view of Daemon Peak
Devils Pass
Devils Pass
As we hiked east, Paul noticed the fire lookout tower atop Slate Peak, far in the distance to the south. We also soon encountered two hikers going west, who were hoping to climb Devils Dome that day. After a couple of miles, we reached a vast meadow gully located east of Point 7203. Once at the gully entrance (5900'), we headed off-trail up the meadow. The meadow terrain was surprisingly easy to follow and navigate; as we neared the peak, we veered slightly right (north) continuing up what becomes steep meadows leading to the ridgetop.
Heading east...
Heading east...
"Slate Peak, in the distance!"
"Slate Peak, in the distance!"
Heading up meadow gully...
Heading up meadow gully...
Further up meadow gully...
Further up meadow gully...
The meadow steepens!
The meadow steepens!
The meadow steepens more!
The meadow steepens more!
We reached the southeast ridge at approximately 6900’. From the ridgetop, we ascended north, up heather slopes that opened up to talus slopes. We soon reached the false summit (7440’). From the false summit, the final ascent was north across mostly solid rock with one short loose gully… which could be climbed around… until back on solid rock all the way to the true summit (7514’). For us, the entire summit difficulty was no worse than Class 2. The open summit had fantastic views in every direction, including a unique perspective for some very famous peaks. We were happy to find a Fay Pullen summit register from four years earlier; only one other team had signed the summit register since her trip. This was the type of peak that would even make Gollum happy. Daemon Peak was Paul’s 131st Washington peak with at least 2000’ of clean prominence (only 13 more to go!), and my 109th (finally reaching over 75% of them).
At the south ridge crest...
At the south ridge crest...
High ridge talus
High ridge talus
Looking back at Paul on ridge
Looking back at Paul on ridge
On the summit ridge
On the summit ridge
The final summit hill (Class 2)
The final summit hill (Class 2)
Looking at Paul on summit ridge
Looking at Paul on summit ridge
Daemon Peak summit
Daemon Peak summit
Daemon Peak summit register
Daemon Peak summit register
Paul, nearing the summit...
Paul, nearing the summit...
"My precious!"
"My precious!"
Team summit photo
Team summit photo
Great views! (This is looking east)
Great views! (This is looking east)
After a long summit break, we noticed the clouds moving in again and we knew it was time to head back to camp. The hike back to camp was fairly straightforward and non-descript… until the final hour when the rain started. Bye-bye sun! Rain was dumping buckets of water during the final ascent up the scree and snow slopes, and thunder and lightning was happening nearby. We were happy to finally get back to camp, less than 12 hours from when we left that morning. We ducked into the tent, where we stayed the remainder of the evening (barring one short cooking opportunity during a brief break in the rainstorm). I woke up every hour of the evening; my dinner must not have agreed with my stomach. When we woke up the next morning, we packed up our gear as soon as the rain stopped. After a snack break at the Devils Park shelter, we continued down the trail. We were soaked head to toe from wet bushes and trees next to the trail. But it did not matter; we were happy with another successful summit trip to a remote mountain.
"Crux" section of summit hill
"Crux" section of summit hill
Paul, descending steep talus
Paul, descending steep talus
Nice flower cluster!
Nice flower cluster!
Storm moving in fast!
Storm moving in fast!
The next morning (no views!)
The next morning (no views!)
Leave before next storm...
Leave before next storm...
TRIP STATISTICS (ROUNDTRIP): 34+ miles with 11,000’ cumulative gain

60 pounds lighter but not 60 points brighter.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Paul M

Paul M
PostSat Jul 07, 2018 7:40 pm 
Thx for suggesting this great trip Craig. The views were outstanding as the pictures show and the terrain varied and beautiful. I especially liked the fact there was still snow in places as we never really had an issue with water anywhere on the trip. It was good to get this P2K peak also, given the weather window we had Friday. It sure rained hard all that night! ps. I have to tell you that I may not be able to share a tent, trail or even Wilderness Area with you again if you insist on taking that hideous Lasagna With Meat Sauce Frozen dinner again......... if you catch my drift shakehead.gif Some of my pictures follow:
Diablo Lake and Davis Peak
Diablo Lake and Davis Peak
Colonial Peak
Colonial Peak
Pyramid Peak and Paul Bunyans Stump
Pyramid Peak and Paul Bunyans Stump
Devils Park Shelter
Devils Park Shelter
Jack Mountain from Devils Park
Jack Mountain from Devils Park
Nearing our ridge camp on Jakita Ridge
Nearing our ridge camp on Jakita Ridge
Snow descent at ridge camp
Snow descent at ridge camp
Ridge camp at 6700 ft
Ridge camp at 6700 ft
Trail below Anacortes Crossing
Trail below Anacortes Crossing
Sea of flowers
Sea of flowers
Ever Present Jack Mountain from Jakita Ridge Trail
Ever Present Jack Mountain from Jakita Ridge Trail
Daemon Peak from Devils Pass
Daemon Peak from Devils Pass
South basin below Daemon Peak
South basin below Daemon Peak
Summit scramble
Summit scramble
Dameon Peak register
Dameon Peak register
Some final views of Daemon Peak on hack back to camp
Some final views of Daemon Peak on hack back to camp
Packing up after an all night rain
Packing up after an all night rain
Morning hike out
Morning hike out
Descending back down to Devils Park in the mist
Descending back down to Devils Park in the mist

Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent

Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent
PostSat Jul 07, 2018 7:42 pm 
Paul M wrote:
if you catch my drift shakehead.gif
You certainly caught mine! wink.gif
Paul M wrote:
Summit scramble
Summit scramble
Nice photo! At first, I did not notice me in the center of it. This photo gives great perspective for size of the summit hill.

RichP

RichP
PostSun Jul 08, 2018 7:52 am 
Nice remote summit. I like it. up.gif

Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostSun Jul 08, 2018 9:22 pm 
Fun to get to a seldom- reached summit.
Redwic wrote:
Crossing a stream...
Crossing a stream...
https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8027179&highlight=crater+mt+mtn+mountain#&pid=42386070172 That little stream was raging back on May 29th. Had the trees across the first few miles of trail been cut yet, Craig?

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still
Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent

Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent
PostMon Jul 09, 2018 4:42 pm 
Brushbuffalo wrote:
Had the trees across the first few miles of trail been cut yet, Craig?
No. It would not take much effort to cut those downed trees, either. And they are primarily within the first two miles, not far in the wilderness area.

Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostMon Jul 09, 2018 5:45 pm 
When we hiked out on May 30 the WTA crew was just starting the sawing. When asked I informed them that nearly all of downed trees were outside the wilderness boundary. I learned that WTA doesn't use chain saws, apparently ever. Interesting.

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still