Forum Index > Trail Talk > Enchantments & Leavenworth Economy
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Get Out and Go

Get Out and Go
PostSun Jan 07, 2024 2:17 pm 
Well, only my observations anyway. Just like the old bumper sticker, "Don't Complain About Farmers While Your Mouth is Full.", I can't complain about the local economy that has provided employment to my wife and in the past to my kids when they were teenagers. If traffic is bad, I can easily walk to Dan's Food Market, which by the way, has the best fried chicken around. I'm not moving anywhere else right now. It's a beautiful sunny day here, I got my walk in up to Ski Hill, and things have appeared to calm down. Looking at the webcams for Stevens Pass this weekend, it seems as if everyone decamped up there! eek.gif

"These are the places you will find me hiding'...These are the places I will always go." (Down in the Valley by The Head and The Heart) "Sometimes you're happy. Sometimes you cry. Half of me is ocean. Half of me is sky." (Thanks, Tom Petty)

dave allyn
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Lazyhiker

Lazyhiker
PostSat Jan 13, 2024 8:58 am 
treeswarper wrote:
I grew up in Wenatchee. I absolutely hate to go there now. It has too much traffic, too few bridges for that traffic, and is a sprawl. The old way to avoid some of the traffic has been blocked off and made into parking lots. The diagonal parking downtown is an accident waiting to happen as a big old SUV will park and totally block the view of oncoming traffic. The highway "down the river" now has frequent wrecks and closures and not just during fruit harvest. Leavenworth? Folks who moved there in the past 30 years certainly knew it was a tourist town. Why they don't have more train service from Seattle to there is a mystery to me. It's perfect for that. Was reading complaints from locals about getting around. Maybe Leavenworth should change it's theme to Dutch, ban cars and encourage bike travel. Throw up a windmill somewhere. Put a dike along the river? That would be a wonderful theme for Wenatchee as well. Growth sucks unless you are in the real estate business.
I live here now and it’s nothing like you’re portraying. The good old days were never that good.

Dick B

Dick B
PostSat Jan 13, 2024 1:31 pm 
Get Out and Go wrote:
Well, only my observations anyway. Just like the old bumper sticker, "Don't Complain About Farmers While Your Mouth is Full.", I can't complain about the local economy that has provided employment to my wife and in the past to my kids when they were teenagers. If traffic is bad, I can easily walk to Dan's Food Market, which by the way, has the best fried chicken around. I'm not moving anywhere else right now. It's a beautiful sunny day here, I got my walk in up to Ski Hill, and things have appeared to calm down. Looking at the webcams for Stevens Pass this weekend, it seems as if everyone decamped up there! eek.gif
On previous passes thru Leavenworth, I would think of the old ski jumps up north of town. We used to go to the jumping competitions back in the late 40s and early 50s. I was always impressed with the sport. At that time, it seemed to be dominated by a family of Bakkes. I think there were a lot of other Norwegians in the mix. Is there anything left of the old ski jumps? It's amazing about the transformation of Leavenworth and how it has become such a tourist destination. My mother's family grew up in the area, and we made many visits there from Whidbey Island when I was a kid. The town was on the decline at that time as there was no reason to stop there. The railroad had eliminated it as a major railyard when the GN rerouted the railroad via the Chumstick cutoff in the 20s. Lumbering seemed to be on the way out. About the only thing to sustain the town were the orchards further down the valley. We have a similar growth situation here in the Bend/Redmond area, and that is the town of Sisters. For years it was a small wayside stop for people on the way to ski Bachelor. Several years ago, the town transfigured itself into a western theme, small shops began to spring up, and now traffic is a nightmare on any given summer day. It is ripe for a bypass, but the merchants will have none of that, so car traffic continues to build year after year.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSat Jan 13, 2024 4:25 pm 
Lazyhiker wrote:
I live here now and it’s nothing like you’re portraying. The good old days were never that good.
I don't think I ever said that the good old days were good. The bridge was always a bottleneck and for a while, the new bridge helped but that's over. Then there's all the stop lights on the highway between Cashmere and Wenatchee. So, you disagree on the sprawl? As far as I'm concerned, it's a mess, and other towns are on their way to be that way also. Sprawl costs us money in gas and taxes. Not to worry, Leavenworth is in the top ten most likely to burn up towns in the state. Wenatchee isn't as safe from fire as it once was because the orchards and farms that were buffers are gone and houses have been built.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostMon Jan 22, 2024 4:36 pm 
Nothing like headin in to 'Worth for a few beers. Getting in to that Main Scene for a few HEAVY BEERS. Nothing like a Strong Buzz in 'Worth on a Sunday afternoon

slabbyd

slabbyd
PostWed Jan 24, 2024 8:58 am 
Icicle Creek in the early 90's. Drive over on a Friday night and grab a site in a half empty 8-mile campground. Be the only ones at Barnies Rubble on a sunny Saturday. Climb Prusik Peak and not see a soul past Colchuck Lake. Those were the days. Glad I experienced it!

Carbonj, Kascadia
DadFly

DadFly
PostWed Jan 24, 2024 9:45 am 
slabbyd wrote:
Icicle Creek in the early 90's. Drive over on a Friday night and grab a site in a half empty 8-mile campground. Be the only ones at Barnies Rubble on a sunny Saturday. Climb Prusik Peak and not see a soul past Colchuck Lake. Those were the days. Glad I experienced it!
Camp by the Mole for a week and see no one. Get back to the car and find it intact (the twins weren't born yet).

"May you live in interesting times"
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostWed Jan 24, 2024 12:45 pm 
Lazyhiker wrote:
The good old days were never that good.
I have to admit, the trails/bridges were being maintained and there were a lot fewer people in the high country. But in the late 1970's, my new bride and I and my oldest brother spent 4 days up on Icicle ridge in the lady lakes area only to come out and find my brother's pickup had been stolen from the Icicle TH. As in...it was gone! My wife and I took a nap at the TH while my brother hiked/hitchhiked down the road to call our other brother to come rescue us. They found the truck a few days later alongside the road out of gas near Yakima.

dave allyn
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostThu Jan 25, 2024 11:23 am 
Heading to Leavenworth this weekend to play in the rain.